I don't know what it is about Ozon's work that appeals to me, but I can't remember But really, since In the House, he's been on a five film run or so that reminds me of when I was first falling hard for Kore-eda. 

Not meaning to imply the two are similar in style, just reaching for some sort of comparison about being aware of a director, liking him (or her) okay, and then all of a sudden having a run of films that elevates your affinity. 

I also have a tough time describing Ozon's style or sometimes seeing similarities. Summer of 85 is...i don't know, a mash up between John Hughes, Erich Rohmer and Call Me By Name....

I guess the gay themes might put off some, but the film did a much better job at making me believe the main character was actually in love in a way that I thought was both appropriate to his age and not particularly tied up in traditional beats of sexual bildungsroman. I sorta liked that it felt like the kid was figuring out who he was as a person and not just what his sexual orientation was. 

First new to me film from this year that I've really liked and that hasn't felt like a chore (i.e. "watch this and review it to keep movie business alive while we wait for enough people to get vaccinated that we can release Black Widow....")

Again, my appreciation to you both for highlighting upcoming films from major directors, or films that are worth my time regardless of who directed them. As I've said before, I've simply stopped tracking a lot of stuff that I used to track rather closely, or at least closer than the average Joe. A new Ozon film is a significant event, and if I'd heard about this one, it's since slipped my mind. I'll keep an eye out for Summer of 85 (and will again suggest, without pleading, for information about how/where to watch these recommended films; sure, I can google and figure it out - and I will - but I'm reminded again that films in our pandemic age might be streaming or releasing theatrically, presumably in select cities - if such release patterns are even still a thing).

Anyway - sorry for that digression - the question I wanted to ask Ken is, Have you seen Ozon's Double Lover? Ozon's IMDB listing puts DL squarely within the director's last five films. I ask because that film is stylistically, well, kinda awesome, but also indebted to De Palma (as Ozon indicates in supplemental interviews I watched on the DVD). I remember thinking it was quite distinct visually from the other Ozon films I'd seen, many of which I'd liked, although if you asked me to define his visual style, I'm no longer sure what characterizes it. I just remember being very impressed with the guy and the performances he gets from his actors. But then Double Lover just blew me away. It's an uncomfortable thing for me to admit because that film, like a lot of De Palma's work, is very sexual in its content (sorry to be so blunt, but if you've seen the film, you understand). And that sexuality, while mostly hetero, isn't exclusively so in DL. But the filmmaking is, I thought, pretty breathtaking.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit. I promise to share thoughts here on Summer of 85 once I've seen it.  

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Good point about the release info. From publicist: "Opens exclusively in theaters on Friday, June 18 in New York (Angelika Film Center and Film at Lincoln Center) and Los Angeles (Laemmle’s Royal and Pasadena’s Laemmle Playhouse 7) followed by a national release"

I haven't seen Double Lover, but I want to. I remember thinking in the first twenty minutes of Summer of 85 how *different* it was from By the Grace of God. For awhile I thought I couldn't really pin Ozon's style but more and more I am wondering if that's by design. He seems to adopt style that fits the material rather than looking for material that suits his predetermined style. But that's conjecture on my part....