Changing the Game

Andrew

I can see why this film has been an award-winner at festivals over the past 1-2 years; it really is engaging and well-crafted storytelling.  By following three trans high school athletes, it avoids preachiness in favor of letting the protagonists' lives and lived values predominate.  As a humanist who believes part of my mandate is to encourage equality and advocate for society's disadvantaged, I applaud the film's approach to these themes.  Folks of a more conservative bent and those identifying a Christian may appreciate the parental figures who see their compassion towards the trans kids in their lives as an outcropping of their faith and politics.  I'll be writing a full review this weekend, but I know Hulu is offering screeners to critics and wanted to encourage folks to check it out.

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/

I did like that it avoids preaching. Clearly, there are some athletic fairness issues involved, but the film doesn't push for a solution to that. I really liked come of the comments in the Connecticut story about the place of sports in an academic setting.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

5 hours ago, Darrel Manson said:

I did like that it avoids preaching. Clearly, there are some athletic fairness issues involved, but the film doesn't push for a solution to that. I really liked come of the comments in the Connecticut story about the place of sports in an academic setting.

I think the Connecticut coach - in a plainspoken but sophisticated way - elevates the discussion of fairness from a question of individual winning or losing to a matter of societal fairness and equal opportunity for all, whether cis or trans.  His reasoning corresponds to a higher level of Kohlbergian moral development.  As the scenes at the TX wrestling match and the CT track and field stands show, many fans are too immature to grasp this.  I think the coach's argument also collides head-on with the pathological degree to which middle-aged (and older) Americans depend on high school and college athletics for their own misplaced vicarious satisfaction. 

To be an artist is never to avert one's eyes.
- Akira Kurosawa

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/secularcinephile/