Upcoming Criterion Releases

Clint M

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Makes me sad I already own F for Fake on DVD. Ah, well.

Makes me sad I already own Playtime on blu-ray. Guess I'll give that away as a gift and go for the big box.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I tried the standard-def Playtime before I had a Blu-ray player, but as I had feared, the movie just didn't play all that well on my 32-inch TV. Seeing it on the big screen at AFI Silver, however, was one of the great moviegoing experiences of my life.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

How do the bonus features on the Playtime standalone Blu-Ray compare to the bonus features that come with that film in the boxed set? The same?

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

They have a book coming: Criterion Designs.

The most exciting names in design and illustration today apply their talents to some of the most important and influential films of all time. This volume gathers highlights from designs commissioned by the Criterion Collection, featuring covers, supplemental art, and never-before-seen sketches and concept art plus a gallery of every Criterion cover since the collection's first laserdisc in 1984. From avant-garde experiments to big-budget blockbusters, cult favorites to the towering classics of world cinema, the depth and breadth of what film can be is on display in these striking images.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

They have a book coming: Criterion Designs.

The most exciting names in design and illustration today apply their talents to some of the most important and influential films of all time. This volume gathers highlights from designs commissioned by the Criterion Collection, featuring covers, supplemental art, and never-before-seen sketches and concept art plus a gallery of every Criterion cover since the collection's first laserdisc in 1984. From avant-garde experiments to big-budget blockbusters, cult favorites to the towering classics of world cinema, the depth and breadth of what film can be is on display in these striking images.

Oh, baby! This sounds spectacular.

Who's gonna buy me a copy?

(Also, did I just call Tyler "baby"? It was just an expression...)

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

What in the world is up with the latest newsletter cartoon teaser? A catcher with a "5" on his uniform, an umpire gesturing somebody out, and a guy at home base who is... what? A clown?

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

I'm so sure of du Garbandier's guess that I'm putting up my 1999 Image DVD for sale this very hour.

Odd Man Out obsessed me as a teenager. The possibility that it will soon be available in high definition leaves me merry as a school-boy!

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I'm a bit stoked that another Fassbinder's entering the Collection.

Did George Clinton ever get a permit for the Mothership, or did he get Snoop Dogg to fetch one two decades late?

• 3 weeks later...

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Wow. Watership Down... an official Criterion blu-ray release.

This really is a dream come true for me.

And they're using the original artwork instead of cooking up something new... which is the best decision here, because it's such a bold poster, and one that makes clear the seriousness of this story.

They're going to get me twice on this, since I bought the iTunes download... and you know what? I don't mind at all.

New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed stereo soundtrack on the Blu-ray

Wait, what does that mean? Does that mean the soundtrack will be provided as an isolated track? Or does it mean they're remastering it for fuller home theater sound?

Edited by Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Overstreet wrote:

: Wait, what does that mean? Does that mean the soundtrack will be provided as an isolated track? Or does it mean they're remastering it for fuller home theater sound?

I assume "uncompressed" just means a higher bit-rate or something, sort of the equivalent of the picture being in higher-definition or higher-resolution. So, the latter, basically.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

FWIW, a friend reminded me on Facebook that Criterion once released Akira on laserdisc (if laserdiscs count), and he also counted some of the Stan Brakhage films, which Criterion released on DVD, as "animation".

Not just Watership Down and Don't Look Now, but Satyricon and the Collection's second post-60s Godard title, Every Man For Himself.

These guys are cracktastic.

Did George Clinton ever get a permit for the Mothership, or did he get Snoop Dogg to fetch one two decades late?

• 4 weeks later...

These folks never cease to please. Ride the Pink Horse is a great film ripe for rediscovery, a spiritual noir brimming with Christian symbolism. It's never been on DVD before, never even been on VHS before. If my dad hadn't taped it off AMC years ago, I probably would never have seen it. Among other things, it boasts an opening shot which almost matches Welles's Touch of Evil for long take audacity.

"Overlooked treasure" indeed.

Edited by Nathaniel

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd