• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things telegraphed:

1) Hurley will be the next guardian.

Things I think:

1) Jack is so dead.

2) Widmore was a wasted character.

3) Someone should kick Jacob in the nuts.

4) The failsafe, not the nuclear bomb, started the alterna-timeline.

5) The Sawyer/Miles alterna-story has been the best story of this season.

6) We're still going to get some kind of big switcheroo about the glow cave.

7) Michael Emerson read this teleplay and almost choked on his own vomit.

The only thing that got kind of annoying for me last night was characters constantly making statements like "When this is over", "we're almost to the end", "It's almost over" and so on. Really?

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

I'm in Cincinnati. I like watching the Cards fade in a pennant race.

:cuss:

2) Widmore was a wasted character.

3) Someone should kick Jacob in the nuts.

4) The failsafe, not the nuclear bomb, started the alterna-timeline.

5) The Sawyer/Miles alterna-story has been the best story of this season.

6) We're still going to get some kind of big switcheroo about the glow cave.

2) Yes. Along with Penny, and a half dozen others. You see, this is what bad TV writing does. It systematically devalues people that wouldn't have had to exist otherwise.

3) Yes. Without a doubt, this should be the very final shot of the entire series. A cosmic kick right in the nuts.

4) Interesting.

5) Please, let's just go ahead and get the cop show started already. I would watch it.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

I actually think they telegraphed Hurley getting killed in the first five minutes on Sunday.

I really would rather the spin-off of Miles and Hurley hurtling through time arguing about time travel, failing to do much meaningful before saving the day with fumbles and snark.

The beauty of Lost as a franchise is that there's a number of potential spinoffs:

1) Alterna-cops: Miles and Sawyer fight crime in LA while looking for love.

2) Mittelos Bioscience: Jack and Juliet fight corruption in a fertility research lab.

3) Time Bandits 2: Hurley and Miles vs. Evil Incarnate and the Little People.

4) The Other Others: Soaps and more in the jungle

5) Keys to Locke: Everyone's favorite substitute teacher makes a difference in inner city LA

6) PBS Pseudo Spiritual Crap Two: The bald dude is gone, replaced by stiff-armed limb-locked Jacob speaking platitudes for donor dollars.

I'm sure I am missing a bunch.

2) Yes. Along with Penny, and a half dozen others. You see, this is what bad TV writing does. It systematically devalues people that wouldn't have had to exist otherwise.

3) Yes. Without a doubt, this should be the very final shot of the entire series. A cosmic kick right in the nuts.

4) Interesting.

5) Please, let's just go ahead and get the cop show started already. I would watch it.

Didn't they epitomize number 2 this episode with a wink and a nod? The death of Zoe, who was killed because she had nothing more to say, is indicative of the very writing you're justifiably criticizing. But why? What's up with this? In an open ended show, where you're trying to survive not getting canceled and lasting another season, a la Twin Peaks, i get it. But Lost? Where they've had an end game in mind for over two and a half seasons? Shouldn't that focus the efforts a bit? Force you have to have speaking parts for characters that NEED to exist? I don't get it.

The beauty of Lost as a franchise is that there's a number of potential spinoffs:

1) Alterna-cops: Miles and Sawyer fight crime in LA while looking for love.

2) Mittelos Bioscience: Jack and Juliet fight corruption in a fertility research lab.

3) Time Bandits 2: Hurley and Miles vs. Evil Incarnate and the Little People.

4) The Other Others: Soaps and more in the jungle

5) Keys to Locke: Everyone's favorite substitute teacher makes a difference in inner city LA

6) PBS Pseudo Spiritual Crap Two: The bald dude is gone, replaced by stiff-armed limb-locked Jacob speaking platitudes for donor dollars.

Brilliant! :lol:

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The season finale of Community last night had a great Lost joke.

Yes it did! And 10 minutes later (rather than 2 seasons), the loophole was provided. :lol:

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

They had me until

Purgatory. Also, falling back on the "it's all about the characters" mantra (Lindelof talked about that in the recap show) just says to me that they realized they couldn't explain the island and decided to stop even trying.

Edited by tyler1984

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Six years of my time and forgive me if i feel a little ripped off.

"The things we enjoy are channels through which the divine glory strikes us, and those who love and delight in any good thing may yet learn to love God." --Gilbert Meilaender

Yeah, that part was pretty muddled. But I found the episode to be emotionally satisfying, in a sentimental, tear-jerky sort of way. Certainly they wrapped the story up well, although some of the mysteries of the series remain. Who were the Others? What was the deal with the Dharma Initiative?

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I'll just pop in to say that the ending caught me off guard, but made sense. As did everything else really. I'm sure a lot of people will have a bunch of questions but it seems they wrapped up the show nicely, certainly was no "Sopranos" ending. I could just be feeling generous today though.

Who were the Others? What was the deal with the Dharma Initiative?

I thought it was already established that

they were sent by Hanso (descendant of the man who commissioned the Black Freighter) to harnass it's unique power to change "the Numbers" to save the world? And the Others were just people who came to the island after Alpert, whom he used to follow Jacob.

Edited by Evan Day

Six years of my time and forgive me if i feel a little ripped off.

I am with you - I feel ripped off. It is no surprise that there wasn't a leak because this was so poorly ended.

I agree, it was satisfying in a sentimental way. It was powerful to watch them as each one comes into a clarity of their existence and relationships to one another but

it would have felt more satisfying if the series ended back at day one of the crash or all of them boarding boarding a plane leaving Australia headed to LA. The monologue at the end by Jack's father was so poor in comparison to 90% of all the past episodes. And the lame, I-know-what-is coming when Jack's Dad approaches the doors to open them. The light only proved to shine on this sad wrap up of the season.

Any attempt to make this finale any better than it was is just going to be a theoretical pontification which will equate to a sad, sad mess.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

I will admit, I started crying during the scene where Locke and Ben have their conversation at the church. It was that moment, though, where you realize that at the end of it, Ben had real, true feelings of remorse about his actions. It was as if I could finally cheer that Ben realized the error of his ways.

And then Jack walked into the "Hey, all religions are cool with each other!" room and I felt a little cheapened. It now makes me wonder if the entire series was just a mash-up of major religious beliefs in regards to the afterlife, all rolled into one glowing prism of light. I think tonight's Simpsons chalkboard gag fits perfectly: "End of "Lost": It was all the dog's dream. Watch us."

Edited by Clint M

Who'd have thought LOST would end up a Mitch Albom novel? I'm sad that, in the end, the answers felt so much less interesting than the questions.

At least it gave fans everywhere a nice moment to let go. Just bathe in the light, and stop caring.

Everything that matters is invisible.

-- Robert Bresson

Somehow...I knew I was going to be alone in liking the ending and finding it satisfying. But I honestly was surprised by the the reveal of the just what the Flash Sideways was. I am surprised that I am seeing people confused (in many places) by what was real and what was not. I've seen a lot of internet chatter where people seem to be getting the idea that the island wasn't real. The Island and everything that happened on it was real. The sideways was a purgatory/waiting room. But anyways... I found it a satisfying finale and it made up for the last two lackluster episodes.

Who'd have thought LOST would end up a Mitch Albom novel? I'm sad that, in the end, the answers felt so much less interesting than the questions.

Agreed.

I found the finale fairly satisfying on an emotional level but pretty wanting in every other way. When they introduced the "glow cave" a few episodes back, I gave up on getting any sort of explanation for the Island -- yes, I still had some hope throughout the season -- and assumed that the producers would forgo real answers. Not that I want every Island-related mystery answered, but at the same time, grounding it in the mythology that the series had pushed for so long would've made the ending much more solid than the ambiguous spiritual mumbo-jumbo that we got instead.

Edited by opus

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Somehow...I knew I was going to be alone in liking the ending and finding it satisfying. But I honestly was surprised by the the reveal of the just what the Flash Sideways was. I am surprised that I am seeing people confused (in many places) by what was real and what was not. I've seen a lot of internet chatter where people seem to be getting the idea that the island wasn't real. The Island and everything that happened on it was real. The sideways was a purgatory/waiting room. But anyways... I found it a satisfying finale and it made up for the last two lackluster episodes.

Agreed. I was convinced that most of the people on this forum would be unsatisfied with the finale. Oh well. I was pleased.

"The greatest meat of all. The meat of friendship and fatherhood."

The Blue Raft - Are you ready to ride?

Not that I want every Island-related mystery answered, but at the same time, grounding it in the mythology that the series had pushed for so long would've made the ending much more solid than the ambiguous spiritual mumbo-jumbo that we got instead.

Yes. We thought it was ridiculous that the conclusion to the show had absolutely nothing to do with the show itself. It basically turned into a barely coherent Lost Chick tract with the unbelieving Jack finally seeing the light. (Though it was a light wholly unrelated to the light the entire show was supposedly about in the first place.)

What makes it worse is that they really hit on something that would have been the cornerstone of a good ending with that

fantastic shot of the plane passing across a break in the trees over Jack. (Though, that did require some odd shift in time and space in which he appeared again outside the glow cave.)

This is not to say we were craving answers, but that we kind of expected that the finale to a 6 season show would at least nod to whatever it was the show was ostensibly about. Rationalizing this by saying the show is really just about relationships is a bit silly. Any work of literature or film that involves at least one human being is about relationships to some extent.

Edited by M. Leary

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

Agreed. I was convinced that most of the people on this forum would be unsatisfied with the finale. Oh well. I was pleased.

For me, anyway, and maybe others as well, one reason the ending is--I don't know how to describe it--emotionally satisfying in many ways (not all!) but intellectually frustrating is that while I'm fine with the Sideways being a purgatory experience, IF the Island was real, then viewers still would like some real answers. Although I'm a great proponent of "give the viewers what they need, not what they want," but I'm not convinced that an episode full of touching reunions followed by going to the light is "what they need."

Oh, speaking of a "Sopranos ending"--that was one of the spoof "alternate endings" aired on Jimmy Kimmel following the episode.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

And then Jack walked into the "Hey, all religions are cool with each other!" room and I felt a little cheapened. It now makes me wonder if the entire series was just a mash-up of major religious beliefs in regards to the afterlife, all rolled into one glowing prism of light. I think tonight's Simpsons chalkboard gag fits perfectly: "End of "Lost": It was all the dog's dream. Watch us."

Yeah, last night was the first full episode of Lost I've ever seen, and I just about gagged on my chips and guacamole during that sequence. I thought of all the Christians I've heard praise the show -- heck, the CT site has has some huge Lost featurette up for months, it seems (no I haven't read any of the collection of linked articles there) -- and wondered if they were feeling burned, or if they were into it.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I must be a sentimental sucker. I liked everything except the last five minutes once I learned to accept the glow cave. The missed possibilities of this season are huge--but the work with the characters in this last episode was very touching--and the showdown with Locke on the cliff face was pretty exciting.

Now, I will say that sideways Christian made the completion of the real relationship dynamic the show has always been about--that of coming to grips with one's father. I am a little saddened by the fact that Jack's alterna-son was just a purgatory induced illusion. Another mistake, I think, is that the Purgatory lives were all (on the surface) much nicer than the Island reality lives.

That said, the final shot, with Jack closing his eyes in the bamboo field--great shot.

Although I'm a great proponent of "give the viewers what they need, not what they want," but I'm not convinced that an episode full of touching reunions followed by going to the light is "what they need."

I don't think I understand that distinction at all, but yes, this ending was basically a mythological version of that reunion show they do after every Survivor season.

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter