Hawaii, Oslo

A film I have no capacity to see at this point, but which Doug Cummings guesses should be one of the favorites next year amongst the members of the [AFC]2, is called Hawaii, Oslo.

Here is Doug's summary of the film.

I encourage all of you to keep your eyes and ears peeled, and if opportunities arise to see it, let us know!

Doug says:

Hawaii, Oslo was recently released on region-2 DVD in Norway with English subtitles, so readers with multi-region players might consider tracking it down.

So for those of you with multi-region players, I have only this quote from Napoleon, Dynamite ... "LUCKYYYYYY."

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunately, I'm trying to discern that myself at the moment. wink.gif

My Norwegian friend Trond suggested akersmic.no, but I can't seem to access the site. I think this film probably will get UK/US distribution, it's just early. The PSIFF was its international debut anywhere.

Kevin Thomas of the Los Angeles Times offered his thoughts on the film (perhaps the third English review after Variety and me?) for the Scandinavian Film Festival last weekend. I've edited the plot description out because it's boring and spoilerish without having sen the film:

"Erik Poppe's Hawaii, Oslo gets the festival, which runs Friday through Sunday at the Writers Guild Theater, off to a great start. On the hottest evening in Oslo, a small group of people converges on a city square just as an ambulance strikes a pedestrian. From this point, director Poppe moves back to the previous day to reveal how a dozen individuals, most of them at a point of crisis, ended up at the scene of the accident

(Edited later: Link to the thread on Schpaaa and Troubled Water, the first and third films in the Oslo Trilogy.)

I just bought an R2 copy of this at Lukas Moodyson's fan-boy site, http://www.oebfa.com/index.php where I also bought a copy of Lilja 4-ever. I had some extra Christmas money laying around, and Lord knows I need to be watching more film.

I'll let you know how many months/years this takes. You may end up with a chance to see it before me; you never know how these purchases will go.

-s.

Edited by Persona

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

Stef, Hole in My Heart is still playing here. Should I go catch it before it's gone?

"...the vivid crossing of borders between film and theology may save the film from the banality of cinema and festival business, and it may also save the church from the deep sleep of the habitual and the always known."

(Hans Werner Dannowski)

Filmwell | Twitter

(M)Leary wrote:

: Stef, Hole in My Heart is still playing here. Should I go catch it before it's gone?

There's a thread on that film here.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

Stef, A Hole in My Heart is still playing here. Should I go catch it before it's gone?

The link Peter provided is quite good, with a very strong negative response from Peter. I will post a few thoughts there.

-s.

I don't see why not. Last year my touring Murnaus made the rounds, perhaps this year it will be the touring Poppe.

-s.

I don't see why not.  Last year my touring Murnaus made the rounds, perhaps this year it will be the touring Poppe.

-s.

Your Murnau's never "made the rounds" or at least they never completed "the rounds". I was on the list and I have yet to even see the physical DVD much less watch the movie burned onto it.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

They will be on your door step before you sit down for dinner.

Because, well, because I love you, Asher.

-s.

They will be on your door step before you sit down for dinner.

Because, well, because I love you, Asher.

-s.

Oh man, I just finished dinner.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

• 2 months later...
I don't see why not.  Last year my touring Murnaus made the rounds, perhaps this year it will be the touring Poppe.

Oh, now you tell me! I'm going to see Hawaii, Oslo tomorrow night on the big screen. But the touring DVD would've been cheaper. Serves me right for not reading each and every A&F post.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Interesting things about this thread:

1. Dedicated cinephiles are obviously capable of playing any Region DVD at any darn time they please.

2. I have now used the same site to buy 5 DVDs and I have found them to not only be quick, but friendly and fair. They even emailed me at one point to ask about a shipment -- they could've partially shipped or waited and shipped some discs together and saved me postage. I had them wait, and thanked them.

3. Speaking of Thank-Yous, the Murnau did show up on Asher's doorstep, but he didn't discover it until breakfast the next day. Since I haven't heard a thank-you from him, I take this space to thank myself.

Have fun with Hawaii tonight, Christian.

-s.

Edited by stef

3.  Speaking of Thank-Yous, the Murnau did show up on Asher's doorstep, but he didn't discover it until breakfast the next day.  Since I haven't heard a thank-you from him, I take this space to thank myself.

-s.

THANK YOU so much for dropping Faust off right at my door. Interestingly enough, I began to watch it for the 2nd time last night. So I guess I should now thank you twice as much. Oh man, this will never end.

While I am at it, I would also like to thank you for making it possible for me to participate in a projected screening of Hawaii, Oslo a couple months back.

I am truly grateful, no matter how late the Murnau's were or how often I was bumped down the list while they were touring.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted this elsewhere on the Internet but was hoping to generate a little discussion here at A&F, given that some of us have seen Hawaii, Oslo.

In an unfortunate use of a particular term, the person who introduced this film at FilmFest DC -- and he appeared to be a Cineplex Odeon theater worker, not a FilmFest DC rep -- called Hawaii, Oslo Erik Poppe's "sophomoric effort" -- an inauspicious description if ever there was one, although I understand the connotation he was going for.

There were so many elements of this film that I admired that I can't quite figure out why, in the end, the film was a less-than-transcendent experience.The "God's-eye" view of the opening and closing shot is a nice framing device, showing but not telling what the director is up to. The "telling" does come, but it's fairly cryptic. Leon and Vidar's first conversation hints at the Golden Rule, atonement/substitution, and more explicitly suggests that one character is another's guardian angel. None of this comes across as heavy-handed; the viewer never feels like he/she is on the receiving end of a sermon. But a spiritual element, both conscious and subliminal, is there from the outset. However, Vidar's character, and the fatalistic aspect to the story, don't allow Hawaii, Oslo to be put into any particular spiritual box.

The tone of the film reminded me, at various moments, of Ordet and Bringing Out the Dead, but the young black girl, whose identity is very mysterious, calls to mind another young character integral to the plot and spirituality of Magnolia -- a similar tapestry of the human condition. Unlike Magnolia, however, Hawaii, Oslo didn't coalesce into a coherent whole. I'm not sure what I was supposed to take away from the film. I did enjoy it, but the film hasn't really stayed with me the way the best films do.

One shot in the film was tremendously effective: a scene of reconciliation turns suddenly cold and terrifying with the entrance into the frame of a disturbing character. This provoked an audible gasp from the audience -- something I haven't heard since Raymond Burr looked directly at Jimmy Stewart in Rear Window (which I saw with a large crowd, during one of the film's theatrical revivals).

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

• 1 year later...

HEADS UP:

I was delighted to discover this film on DVD today at the library! It

Edited by Christian

Thanks for the heads up, Christian, I'll be curious to hear how it holds up.

Browsing the Film Movement site, I also see some other gems I can personally recommend--Roads to Koktebel (which I think you saw?) and Drifters (by the director of Beijing Bicycle). I've heard good things about Let the Church Say Amen.

Browsing the Film Movement site, I also see some other gems I can personally recommend--Roads to Koktebel (which I think you saw?) and Drifters (by the director of Beijing Bicycle). I've heard good things about Let the Church Say Amen.

Link to the Film Movement site, and to its catalog. There's a subscription service for those willing to pay sight unseen for Film Movement titles.

Interesting, Doug. I saw Koktebel at FilmFest DC the same year I saw Hawaii, Oslo (or was it a year earlier?). The local library carries several Film Movement titles, but so far I've checked out only Let the Church Say Amen and OT: Our Town (found our A&F discussion thread, which is full of raves, here), both worth seeing, but neither of which is particularly innovative in story or method.

I've also checked out Anytown, USA, but didn't get around to watching it during the week I had it.

I figured you might like The Party's Over. Have you seen it?

Oh, fabulous! The library carries both titles you recommended, Doug. I'm at a point where my library "holds" queue is pretty thin, so this gives me some meaty viewing.

Edited by Christian

• 2 weeks later...

I finished watching "Hawaii Oslo" this morning and wanted to express my deep regret for saying anything other than kind words about it earlier.

Not that it

I'm glad this has stood up well for you, Christian. I agree that it's not a "perfect" film (I'm unsettled on the kaleidescopic motif and Vidar's ambiguous role to some extent) but the performances are so pitch perfect that I was completely drawn into the characters' lives, and the dramatic rhythm is astonishingly fluid as the film cuts back and forth between characters. I think it's the strongest in the string of Altmanesque ensemble films of the last few years. I'll be curious to see how others respond...

Sadly, my inferior online movie rental service is showing this film as not yet available. I'll probably jump the fence back to Netflix in a few months, and will try to catch up with this promptly. I've been wanting to see it for a while.

Edited by Russ

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------