WOW!

What an amazing work. I can't even begin to describe it at this point without spoilers. If it's playing near you, put it at the top of your list.

No doubt I'll say more after I process some of it.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

I'm glad you started the discussion, Darrel. Five years around here and I'm still shy about starting threads.

I went to Brothers because I thought it was one of the latest from the Dogme '95 manifesto. A friend mentioned that it was "dogme-like," and I confused that statement with "certified dogme," even to the point of wondering when the dogme-heads started handing out the certificates again. While Brothers isn't technically a dogme film, it certainly feels like one -- all DV, no special effects, mostly natural lighting, disturbing portraits of Danes who are haunted by their past, or moving into a period in their life that will most certainly become someone else's haunted past. I don't know all of the dogme rules, but it seems the director only broke the "anti-soundtrack" and "no credits" section of the creed. It was so close to dogme that I could've sworn I was watching Festen (The Celebration) a couple of times -- although having the same lead actor in both films probably played into that as well.

It was powerful. But the ending was abrupt and I was hoping to experience more redemption than was delivered. I left very happy with the film itself, but a little ticked off that it ended where it did. I guess that's my only real complaint.

Well, I guess I had one more complaint, which is that Yes, it was a powerful depiction of the tragedy of war, and of loss of hope, and of the struggle one might have with the most guilty of all consciences... But I tended to see it as if it were a powerful movie that I didn't really connect with, at least not the way I tend to connect with films that I end up loving for life.

But we'll have to see. I'd certainly like to see it again, and I'd recommend it to anyone around here.

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

6.  The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)

7.  Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now.)

would be major problems for a Dogme certification. The film includes stuff in Afghanistan (hardly the "here") and also

murders

But it certainly Jensen (writer of Brothers) is conversant in Dogme. Perhaps that movement is having a serious effect throughout Danish film even if the film doesn't strictly follow the manifesto.

Edited by Darrel Manson

-from the film
Armin

Deja vu all over again.

Tonight, we picked out Wilbur Wants to Kill Himself and I was astonished at how similar the depiction of the brothers in the film were to Brothers: good brother, bad brother; yin and yang; a balance between them that shifts over time. I was amazed at how much this was a Scottish version of Brothers.

Then the credits came up. One of the writers was Anders Thomas Jensen.

Edited by Darrel Manson

-from the film
Armin

There is a dogme connection there, too. Brothers' director Susanne Bier also directed Open Hearts, which was Dogme Film # 28, while Wilbur Wants To Kill Himself's director Lone Sherfig also directed Italian For Beginners, which was Dogme Film # 12.

-s.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this last night. Liked it a lot. Not as predictable as you might think. Didn't have a problem with the ending. And the whole time, I kept wanting to hear what Andrew might think of this film. But maybe he has to deal with this stuff in real life too much, so he (or you, if you're reading this, Andrew) wouldn't want to sit through a fictional version.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for your insights, Andrew. FWIW, I still like this film a lot, even if it IS dealing with an extreme case. smile.gif

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

Like her Open Hearts, Susanne Bier's Brothers is also being remade. On the one hand, I'm pleased that more people will get to watch the story, but on the other hand, I can't expect it to be the same. Will Americans really want to see their soldiers going through such changes?

Edited by Darrel Manson

-from the film
Armin

Like her Open Hearts, Susanne Bier's Brothers is also being remade. On the one hand, I'm pleased that more people will get to watch the story, but on the other hand, I can't expect it to be the same. Will Americans really want to see their soldiers going through such changes?

Having recently watched The Deer Hunter for the first time all the way through, I'm beginning to think that this story could fit quite well into the way we relate to our own wars.

-s.

Edited by stef

• 2 weeks later...

I did a roundtable with Bier today and she was asked about the two remakes. She said "It's like having your babie being adopted by some other parents." She went on to say "If the story can survive in a different shape, maybe that's a good thing. Maybe I need to tame my posessiveness."

-from the film
Armin

• 2 weeks later...
My piece on the interview is up. I didn't include the stuff on remakes. It was a good round table session.

I am insanely jealous of you.

I will read the article tonight. Apparently I have lots of reading to catch up on...

-s.

• 1 year later...

watched this again last night. Still love it.

Looking at at stuff on IMDB, the American version is due out in early Dec. Directed by Jim Sheridan, stars Natalie Portman, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Tobey Maguire.

-from the film
Armin