Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

We don't have a thread for this one yet, so here it is, on the day that Ain't It Cool breaks the news about the latest great Brit to climb aboard what appears to be the Train That Will Carry Every Great British Actor before it's over.

Yes, Vera Drake is about to go to Hogwarts.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know she's not British, but I always pictured Umbridge as Kathy Bates. Is that older woman with the pink hair from Are You Being Served? still alive, she'd do the trick.

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

• 2 months later...

British Teens Seek Role in Next 'Potter'

Thousands of teenage girls waited patiently in long lines to audition Saturday for a role in the next Harry Potter film. The girls, aged 13 to 16, were trying out for the part of trainee wizard Luna Lovegood in "Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix." In the book, Luna is described as being an unusual character who is considered somewhat of an outsider by her classmates. With her wand tucked behind her ear for safekeeping and a necklace of corks, the 14-year-old wizard often appears somewhat detached from what is going on around her. . . . Only British and Irish citizens were being auditioned, and each hopeful had to identify herself with a passport or birth certificate, and a proof of address.

Associated Press, January 14

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest casting news here.

Newest Cast list: (Spoileresque)

Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake) - Delores Umbridge

George Harris (Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Interpreter)- Kingsley Shacklebot

Robby Jarvis - Young James Potter

Michael Wildman (Casualty, The Merchant of Venice) - Magorian

Helen McCrory (Count of Monte Cristo)- Bellatrix Lestrange

Natalia Tena (About a Boy, Mrs Henderson Presents) - Tonks

Evanna Lynch - Luna Lovegood

Edited by Clint M

IMDB still lists only Jason Isaacs as Lucius Malfoy, along with the three teen principals. Is Emma Thompson coming back as Trelawney? I sincerely hope the script includes the scene where

Umbridge sacks Trelawney.

That would provide lots of delicious scenery chewing for these two actresses! Also lookign forward to

the confrontation between Umbridge and McGonagall over Harry's future as an auror, and the scene where Umbridge and her goons stun McGonagall.

Dame Maggie Smith hasn't yet had her chance to shine in the HP movies, and Phoenix provides some super scenes for McG.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I can't wait to see

the twins to declare their independence.

They are my favorites in the series, and that may be one of my favorite passages in the series.

Subtlety is underrated

In my mind, book five has always been the weakest. Bloated and yet narratively shapeless, it seems to lumber along without much of a point, and in the end it whips out a prophecy

that is so brainlessly evident in Potter's fantasy realm anyways that it comes as a major letdown and an anticlimax. Do we really need a thousand pages to tell us that Harry and Voldemort will some day square off and one of them will die?

That said, this film will be worth waiting around for, precisely because of the sort of stuff that you've mentioned above: the twins' big moment, McG getting her due, Malfoy's head turning into that of an evil baby (if my memory is right), etc. Sometimes, it's the small stuff that counts. Book five doesn't have a great story, but certain individual scenes are cool.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

I don't think I've found a single person yet who thought Order of the Phoenix couldn't have done with a little trimming. It's a good thing the 2.5-hour movie format will force them to do some!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I wonder what exactly they will trim it into, though. Where is the story's dramatic core? It'll be hard to make anything linear or cohesive out of that book. We best hope that Steve Kloves is in command of the cutting.

If I were adapting (they asked but couldn't meet my price :) ), I'd make Harry's relationship with Sirius the focal point, interwoven with the complete demoralization at Hogwart's following Cedric's death and the Ministry's refusal to believe Voldemort is back. I'd cut everything to do with Hagrid and Grawp. Right now I'm about one-third through Half-Blood Prince, and have no idea whether Grawp becomes a significant character, but he and Hagrid added little to Order of the Phoenix. Also the centaur side story, and Firenze's introduction as Divination teacher (although some element of that will need to be retained, I suppose, for

Umbridge's comeuppance

).

BTW, Jeff - I asked my daughter about Malfoy's "baby-face," because I couldn't quite place when that happened. She reminded me that it's actually

a Death Eater who gets the baby-face treatment, during the showdown at the Ministry of Magic.

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

• 3 months later...
The new Harry Potter composer is ... Nicholas who? (No, that's Nicholas HOOPER.)

• 1 month later...

Is that older woman with the pink hair from Are You Being Served? still alive, she'd do the trick.

Yes, she is, but she is well into her eighties now.

Mollie Sugden

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

In my mind, book five has always been the weakest. Bloated and yet narratively shapeless, it seems to lumber along without much of a point, and in the end it whips out a prophecy

that is so brainlessly evident in Potter's fantasy realm anyways that it comes as a major letdown and an anticlimax. Do we really need a thousand pages to tell us that Harry and Voldemort will some day square off and one of them will die?

I have high hopes for this movie, precisely for these reasons . . . the better the books are, the less likely it is that an adaptation would meet with success.

That's just how eye roll.

In my mind, book five has always been the weakest. Bloated and yet narratively shapeless, it seems to lumber along without much of a point, and in the end it whips out a prophecy that is so brainlessly evident in Potter's fantasy realm anyways that it comes as a major letdown and an anticlimax. Do we really need a thousand pages to tell us that Harry and Voldemort will some day square off and one of them will die?

Weird. Book five was always my favourite. Ah, but what do I know?

I have high (but not really high) hopes for this one too, for the reasons above. I've been pretty disappointed so far with the film adaptations.

Here's a crazy thought: I think HP should've been done with stop-motion.

Go ahead. Laugh.

But seriously. After I saw Corpse Bride I've been thinking it. The world is perfectly suited for the medium. It's completely outrageous and fantastically exaggerated, but at the core it's about human drama, which is just the area in which stop-motion excels.

My name is Darth Vader. I come from the planet Vulcan.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

Whoops ... once again, I screwed up a post. Forgot to hide those spoilers. Anyway, I think it would be a good idea to put in

:spoilers:

Just in case someone else makes the same mistake I did.

- Back to the Future

To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is real. And at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and everything in between, plus some other things I can't remember; all rolled into one big "thing." This is truth, to me.

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

• 1 month later...

Helena Bonham Carter is playing Bellatrix Lestrange. If memory serves,

the character played by her ex-lover Kenneth Branagh

has a cameo appearance in the book version of Phoenix; I wonder if he'll be in the film? (And wow, this particular installment in the Harry Potter series revolves around

a prophecy by Emma Thompson's character

... hmmm... could be quite the re-union...)

And of course, Bonham Carter and Ralph Fiennes (who is now playing the evil Lord Voldemort) worked together on last year's Wallace & Gromit movie, too.

Yeah, wasn't Emma Thomson in Branaugh's Henry V? I see a Henry V/Harry Potter parody coming on ...

BRANAUGH: But I don't talk about that. I didn't win the Battle of Agincourt by smiling at it.

- Back to the Future

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

I love Bonham Carter, but she never would have entered my mind as Bellatrix. Bellatrix always struck me as a real straightforward, serious, humorless, "true believer" kind of psychopath--the closest point of reference that I can think of is that she's a lot like Silas the Evil Albino Monk from The Da Vinci Code.* Bonham Carter seems a bit too, I don't, know--warm? quirky? cute? for the character. But that should make things interesting.

In less positive news, the word from Comic-Con (I can't find the link, sorry) is that the Grawp scenes have been filmed. :blink: This character was crying out to be cut from the book: his presence accomplished nothing in 800 pages, and I was all set to give the film a thumbs up just for cutting him. (Much like the GoF movie and its blessed lack of house elves.) But clearly the series' addiction to CGI magical creatures won out this time.

On a more positive note, they've cast

teenage versions of Harry's parents' generation

, so it looks like

Harry's trip into Snape's pensieve

is in. That was my favorite scene from the book, and possibly one of my favorites in the series. (Perhaps because it offers the most surprising twist in the whole book. Packed far more of a whallop than that lousy

prophecy

, anyway.)

_ _ _ _

* Wow. Can you imagine how much scarier Bellatrix would have been if she had been a self-flagellating albino? JK Rowling really dropped the ball on that one.

Kent Brockman: Now, here are the results from our phone-in poll. 95% of the people think Homer Simpson is guilty. Of course, this is just a television poll, which is not legally binding. Unless Proposition 304 passes, and we all pray it will.

This character was crying out to be cut from the book: his presence accomplished nothing in 800 pages, and I was all set to give the film a thumbs up just for cutting him.

I beg to differ. It established Hagrid's weakness for believing in the inherent goodness of all magical creatures as something a bit more serious than a running joke.

Bonham Carter seems a bit too, I don't, know--warm? quirky? cute? for the character. But that should make things interesting.

Yes. Recall that similar things were said about Robin Williams before Insomnia.

On a more positive note, they've cast teenage versions of Harry's parents' generation, so it looks like Harry's trip into Snape's pensieve is in. That was my favorite scene from the book, and possibly one of my favorites in the series. (Perhaps because it offers the most surprising twist in the whole book. Packed far more of a whallop than that lousy prophecy, anyway.)

YES!!! They left it in! And I have to agree with you there. I always did find the element of the said prophecy a bit underwhelming, but the rest of the book's surprises (particularly this one) have made it my favourite of the series (so far).

Wow. Can you imagine how much scarier Bellatrix would have been if she had been a self-flagellating albino? JK Rowling really dropped the ball on that one.

No offense, but is this meant to be sarcasm? 'Cause if it is, you gotta put in a smiley, or something. ;)

Edited by Plankton

- Back to the Future

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince already has a release date: November 21, 2008. Do we want to start a thread for that film already, or wait until they've finished this one?

This character was crying out to be cut from the book: his presence accomplished nothing in 800 pages, and I was all set to give the film a thumbs up just for cutting him.

I beg to differ. It established Hagrid's weakness for believing in the inherent goodness of all magical creatures as something a bit more serious than a running joke.

But Hagrid's weaknesses have no relevence to the plot of either the fifth book or sixth book, so why introduce a new character to establish them? (Admittedly, Grawp may end up proving essential to Book 7--but I still didn't need to see so much of him, especially when there was no satisfactory payoff to his appearance in this book.)

Wow. Can you imagine how much scarier Bellatrix would have been if she had been a self-flagellating albino? JK Rowling really dropped the ball on that one.

No offense, but is this meant to be sarcasm? 'Cause if it is, you gotta put in a smiley, or something. ;)

Heh. Yes, it was meant to be a joke. I need to remember that not everybody finds the idea of Evil Psychotic Self-flagellating Albino Monks as inherently hilarious as I do.

Kent Brockman: Now, here are the results from our phone-in poll. 95% of the people think Homer Simpson is guilty. Of course, this is just a television poll, which is not legally binding. Unless Proposition 304 passes, and we all pray it will.

But Hagrid's weaknesses have no relevence to the plot of either the fifth book or sixth book, so why introduce a new character to establish them? (Admittedly, Grawp may end up proving essential to Book 7--but I still didn't need to see so much of him, especially when there was no satisfactory payoff to his appearance in this book.)

True. However, there's also that bit at the end when :spoilers: they lead Umbridge into the woods, she gets captured by centaurs, and then the centaurs get driven off by Grawp. That's the other purpose he serves. And yes, he may serve a useful purpose in Book 7, and if Rowling didn't have a reason to include him in 5, we would have known he was just one of those "He's going to be important later, but not now" characters.

Heh. Yes, it was meant to be a joke. I need to remember that not everybody finds the idea of Evil Psychotic Self-flagellating Albino Monks as inherently hilarious as I do.

Oh no, I think the concept is hilarious too (if only Monty Python had stayed together for a few more decades; can you imagine the sketch potential for Silas?). I just wasn't sure if you were kidding or not. :)

- Back to the Future

- Jack Handey

The Moviegeist

True. However, there's also that bit at the end when they lead Umbridge into the woods, she gets captured by centaurs, and then the centaurs get driven off by Grawp. That's the other purpose he serves.

True, but the payoff of Umbridge's expulsion via centaurs and Grawp's scaring them off isn't quite big enough to justify the considerable development given to the Grawp subplot as a whole. Another character could easily be inserted to drive them away; why not give the job to a member of the Order itself?

Better yet, why not give the job to the chronically underused, but cool-as-ice auror Kingsley Shacklebolt? And why not cast Sammy L Jackson to play him? "I'm tired of these <expletive> centaurs in this <expletive> magical forest!" :D