The Arts and Faith Scripture in Film Index

FWIW, the Ezekiel quote appears at the beginning of George Jonas's book Vengeance, which is reportedly a major influence on Steven Spielberg's film Munich.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figure Ron might know this, since he's got Rublev on the brain, but isn't there a scene where a monk is quoting Ecclesiastes 11-12? I think it's near the beginning, when he's at a monastery and he is alone when he does it. Then someone comes in to talk to him, he has a conversation for a minute or two, then he picks up exactly where he left off. Am I just making this up? If I had Rublev, I'd check it myself.

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

I figure Ron might know this, since he's got Rublev on the brain, but isn't there a scene where a monk is quoting Ecclesiastes 11-12? ...

You know, I'm not sure, but it's ringing a bell like crazy. Might be STALKER: have you seen that one? Certainly something I've seen lately has the Ecc 12 stuff in it. Hmmm...

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

I've seen Stalker too, but I don't off hand think that is it, since I remember it as a monk doing it. It made me think it was a sort of discipline he practiced through the day when he wasn't with others. I'm going to be rewatching Stalker in the next couple of weeks though, so I'll check that to make sure.

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

No John, you had it right! It's Kirill, when he's back at his monastery after meeting Theophanes, just before the messenger arrives.

ANDREI RUBLEV

Ecclesiastes 11:9; 12:1, 6-8, 11-13

30:55 Interior, log building: Kirill eats a carrot as he regards a painting on an easel, other icons propped up against the walls.

Voice-over: Rejoice, O young man, in thy youth, and let thy heart cheer thee in the days of thy youth. Walk in the ways of thine heart, and in the sight of thine eyes, but know that for all these God will bring thee into judgment. (A dog barks, outside. He puts the painting on the floor and sits.) Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth, before the difficult days come, and the years draw night when thou shalt say, "I have no pleasure in them." Remember thy Creator before the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher shattered at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the well. (He crosses to a candle, burning.) Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was, and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. "Vanity of vanities," saith the preacher; "All is vanity." (The door opens behind him.)

ASSISTANT: Kirill, have you seen Father Nikodim? Where has he got to since this morning? (The assistant crosses to the white wall behind Kirill, leans up against it, framed by a lineful of laundry, covered by Kirill's shadow.) He took my gloves, then disappeared as though the earth swallowed him. I have to chop wood and the logs are icy. Why is your candle burning? It's daylight. (The dog barks.)

K: Did you feed my dog?

A: Did you ask me to?

(Kirill smiles, leads the boy out of the room)

A: What's the matter with you?

(Kirill re-enters)

K: Go away.

VOICE-OVER: The words of the wise are like goads, and the words of scholars are like well-driven nails, given by one Shepherd. And further, my son, you should stay away from these. (Kirill wets his hand and extinguishes the candle.) Of making many books there is no end, and much study is wearisome to the flesh. Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter. Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is man's all.

A: (Outside) A messenger has come! (Entering) Who has come? A messenger from Moscow has come. A messenger has come from the Grand Prince.

K: So?

A: (Helping Kirill on with his coat) So! So! A messenger from Theophanes the Greek.

(Kirill becomes excited, exits after the assistant)

Ah, thanks Ron, much appreciated!

You bet. I'm slowly working away at ANDREI, transcribing it bit by bit. If I finish the task, I'll post it (or at least let people know, so they can contact me rof a copy) for other people's use, provided that's okay for copyright reasons.

In the meantime, there's that section where Andrei is talking about the "passion" of the Russian people, while we watch a sort of passion play in the snow. I assumed that the direct quote he makes was in scripture, but couldn't find it: Mark 14:53ff and Matthew 26:57ff are the passages where I thought it would be, but no dice. (So I'm wondering what account Andrei might be referencing? A particular passion play? Probably just remembering loosely, but the whole "only later they found the traitors..." sounds like a specific detail from something.)

Anyhow, unless somebody can find a better reference, I'm afraid the following won't quite qualify for our cinecordance...

ANDREI RUBLEV

52:22

Judas sold the Christ, and remember who bought him. People. And who accused Jesus? The scribes and Pharisees. They could not find witnesses, however hard they tried. "Who will testify against this innocent?" Only later they found the traitors. Two were found immediately. Two, and not one. There were only two. The Pharisees were masters of deceit, educated. They had studied to gain power, to take advantage of the people's ignorance. We must remind people more often that they are people. Russians, of the same blood, of the same land. Evil is everywhere. Someone will always sell you for thirty pieces of silver. New misfortunes constantly befall the peasant, either Tatars three times an autumn, or famine, or plague, and he still keeps on working, working, working, meekly bearing his cross. He does not despair, he is silent and patient. He only prays to God for enough strength. How could God not forgive him his ignorance? You know yourself. You're tired and discouraged, and suddenly in the crowd you meet a human glance, and everything's lighter, as it is after Communion. Isn't it so? You just spoke of Jesus. Perhaps he was born and crucified to reconciel God and man. Jesus came from God, so He is alll-powerful. And if he died on the cross, it was predetermined and his crucifixion and death were God's will. That would have aroused hatred not in those who crucified him, but in those who love him if they had been near Him at that moment, because they loved Him as a man only. But if He, of His own will, left them, He displayed injustice, or even cruelty. Maybe those who crucified Him loved Him, because they helped in this divine plan.

STALKER

Revelation 6:12-17

Part II - 17:54

(Cut to the Stalker, lying on the ground. During the following, slow pan of underwater debris in sepia, including a medallion of St John Baptist.)

WOMAN: (Voice-over) And there was a great earthquake. And the sun became black as sackcloth made of hair. And the moon became like blood. And the stars of the sky fell to the earth, as a fig tree casts its unripe figs when shaken by a great wind. And the sky was split apart like a scroll when it is rolled up. And every mountain and island were moved out of their places. And the kings of the earth and the great men and the rich and the chiliarchs and the strong and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and among the rocks of the mountains; and they said to the mountains and to the rocks, "Fall on us and hide us from the presence of Him who sits on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb, for the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?"

(The woman laughs. The pan continues. There is a black dog.)

Luke 24:13-18

Part II - 22:20

(Stalker sits up, whispers, as the camera pans over the faces of the Professor and the Writer, sleeping:) And that very day, two... two of them were going to a village which was about 60 stadia from... named... and they were conversing with each other about all these things. And while they were conversing and discussing, He himself approached, and began travelling with them. But their eyes were prevented from recognizing Him. (The Writer's eyes open.) And He said to them: "What are these words you are exchanging with one another, and why are you so sad?" And one of them, named... (Camera pans back to the Professor, whose eyes are now open. Cut back to the Stalker.) Are you awake?

Also,

Daniel 5:25 is quoted (but chapter and verse not cited): Mene, Mene, Tekel, Parsin

I'll provde the timecode if I turn it up

RENT - Micah 5:2 - "Town of Bethlehem..." in the song "La Vie Boheme"

On this night when we celebrate the birth

In that little town of Bethlehem

Denny

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

"La Vie Boheme" also includes the phrase "Let him without sin be the first to condemn" (and rhymes it with "la vie boheme"), which is obviously an allusion to John 8.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

John 11:25 - A Tale Of Two Cities (1935) - onscreen text

Errol Morris in film comment, nov/dec 2005; ...When Sydney Carlton is ascending the steps of the guillotine at the end of A Tale Of Two Cities you hear him say, "It is a far, far better thing I do now than I have ever done. It is a far, far greater peace I go to now than I have ever known." and as he says it the camera rises into the sky, up the twin struts of the guillotine, past the blade ready to drop, and you see a banner in the sky saying, "I am the resurrection and the life. Whoever believeth in me shall know eternal life." It's insane.

Psalm 23 - Paradise Road

The whole psalm?

• 3 weeks later...

Luke 2:8-? - A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965)

Of course, it was made for TV, and it's only half an hour long. But has there ever been a scripture quoted in an animated fiction that's been heard (and remembered) by more people?

• 4 weeks later...

I've been told Psalm 23 is mentioned or quoted in SIMPLE TWIST OF FATE, but know no details.

This is going to get me in A LOT OF TROUBLE...

8O

I distinctly remember, from a long time ago, the passage Mark 8:36 being quoted, just after the title card... of Caligula (1979).

"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?" Mark 8:36.

(The only good part of the movie).

--Nick

Nick Alexander

Keynote, Worship Leader, Comedian, Parodyist

Host of the Prayer Meeting Podcast - your virtual worship oasis. (Subscribe)

MUNICH

Ecclesiastes 9:11-12

The race is not to the swift

or the battle to the strong...

but time and chance happen to them all.

...men are trapped by evil times

that fall unexpectedly upon them.

(Quoted by one of the characters. I'm sure about the first three lines of the quote. I know the quote goes on from there, and I think it's the last three lines I've cited here, but not entirely sure...)

Edited by Ron

I saw The Edukators the other day, and I think that the note they leave "your days of plenty are numbered" is certainly derived from the equally threatening "note" God leaves on King Belshazzar's wall

"God has numbered the days of your reign and brought it to an end" (Dan 5:26)

sorta

Matt

Lord's Prayer spoken at a funeral in CINDERELLA MAN

Psalm 23 - Koyla

Since 1995 we have authored a commentary on film, cinema in focus. Though we enjoy cinema as an art form, our interests lie not so much in reviewing a film as in beginning a conversation about the social and spiritual values presented. We, therefore, often rate a film higher or lower due to its message rather than its quality of acting or film-making.

Cinema In Focus Website

Free Methodist Church of Santa Barbara Website

• 1 month later...

Oh I keep forgetting this thread....

Anyway - 3 Godfathers

Matt 21:2 - "Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find an ass tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me"

Lord's Prayer

Psalm 27

And I think it cites Luke 2:22 " When the time of their purification according to the Law of Moses had been completed, Joseph and Mary took him to Jerusalem to present him to the Lord"

There are also a few in Ryan's daughter IIRC and Oliver Twist (though I can't remember them), and I'm sure one of the films I have watched since The Edukators also quoted "you have been weighed and found wanting", but no ideas which.

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't time at the moment to dig up chapter and verse for these, but all occur in the dialogue of the Laughton MUTINY ON THE BOUNTY. (And yes, the big one isn't all scripture, but I think contains scripture)

"A little child shall lead them."

"O, eternal god, who alone spreadest out the heavens and rulest the raging sea, who has compassed the waters with bounds until night and day come to an end, receive into thy almighty and most gracious protection the persons of us, thy servants and the fleet in which we serve. Preserve us from the dangers of the sea that we may be a safeguard unto our gracious lord King George and his kingdoms and a security for such as pass on the seas upon their lawful occasions and that we may return in safety to enjoy the blessings of the land with a remembrance of thy mercies to praise and glorify thy holy name through Jesus Christ our lord, amen."

"The Lord is my shepherd, l shall not want.