The Arts and Faith Scripture in Film Index

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

One of the more, uh, interesting uses of Matthew 6:28-29, from Michael Ritchie's beauty-pageant satire Smile (1975). The main character in this scene is played by Annette O'Toole; one of the men admiring her act is Bruce Dern, and she is immediately followed by Melanie Griffith. Oh, and note: Jesus said "one of these", not simply "these".

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
The X-Files: I Want to Believe, Proverbs 25:2 -- "It is the glory of God to conceal a matter, But the glory of kings is to search out a matter."

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 9 months later...

Apparently there is an entire short film called Romans 12:20.

• 4 months later...

Somewhat bizarrely I couldn't locate this thread by doing a search for Bible quotations, even using Google site search. So this reply is just to get that particular phrase, and Bible quotes, into the thread!

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

• 11 months later...

I barely remember seeing this thread before. It's been a while! I don't know the exact references, but I know Leviticus is hard to come by, and the last few posts aren't even from the past year, so we should remember that several verses are found in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, let's revive the thread! Two more quotes both from Evan Almighty (2007)

"Ask, and you receive." from John 16:24

"Make thee an ark of gopherwood" from Genesis 6:14

www.midnightreckoning.com | www.twitter.com/MidnightReckon

"Its not exactly sci-fi. It's not exactly horror. It's more like special hybrid genre ... PSI-FI. Psychological Fiction. If you liked "Inception". If you liked "The Twilight Zone". If you liked "Memento". If you like David Lynch films - you'll love "Midnight Reckoning". It toys with your mind. It teases your imagination. It plays on your deepest fears. It undermines your deepest securities. It's a world of paradigm shifts where you can never be really sure what is real."

What about in a Teaser Trailer? This is for a new TV show/web series called Continuum, and it uses almost the entire Lord's Prayer, in song:

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

What about in a Teaser Trailer? This is for a new TV show/web series called Continuum, and it uses almost the entire Lord's Prayer, in song:

Why not a trailer :) The ship looks cool by the way.

So I'll make a shameless plug for another trailer then... I'm interning for this small production company who are releasing their supernatural thriller right around Halloween. One of the trailers has a quote from Ephesians 6:12 The film is called Midnight Reckoning.

www.midnightreckoning.com | www.twitter.com/MidnightReckon

"Its not exactly sci-fi. It's not exactly horror. It's more like special hybrid genre ... PSI-FI. Psychological Fiction. If you liked "Inception". If you liked "The Twilight Zone". If you liked "Memento". If you like David Lynch films - you'll love "Midnight Reckoning". It toys with your mind. It teases your imagination. It plays on your deepest fears. It undermines your deepest securities. It's a world of paradigm shifts where you can never be really sure what is real."