Ender's Game

CrimsonLine

I searched, and aside from brief references in a few threads, there is no discussion I could find on this short story cum book cum (soon-to-be?) film.

Dark Horizons reports on comments by Orson Scott Card about progress on the film:

"Warner is still strongly committed to making Ender's Game into a great movie, and we agreed to another year or so of option, starting with a new script written by me (a page-one rewrite not based on any previous script, including mine). Guess how I'll be spending my Christmas vacation.

...It will be faithful to the story, within the limitations of a two-hour form factor. Stuff has to be left out. But what's THERE will be true to the story in the books, even if it isn't word-for-word or point-for-point the same.

I want a movie people can sit through. Two hours if possible; no more than 2.5 hours. With two hours or less, you can get two showings a night at popular showtimes. That's the studio's goal; and it's mine, too. We're not doing Gandhi, here. It doesn't need to be ponderous. It needs NOT to be. It needs to be so good that people pack the theaters"

This is a book that would make a GREAT movie if done right. I love OSC's work. I hope he can pull it off.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have become quite the burgeoning sci-fi geek since getting into Firefly this year... and I'm smack dab in the middle of reading Ender's Game for the first time right now. I keep thinking about what a great movie it could be, if properly done. You'd have to find some pretty incredible little boys to carry the weight of the story, though. Who can we picture as Ender...?

I honestly can't picture anyone as Ender, but I freely admit I'm not in the know when it comes to child actors. And though it's important to the story how young the Battle School kids are, I think the movie will benefit from aging them a bit.

Ender's Game is also one of my favorite books. Kebbie, it's the book that turned me into a scifi dork. And my older brother MADE me read it, because I was completely uninterested in it at first. He pulled a trick that my mother did on both of us when we went through a "I Hate Reading" phase: He read the first 2 chapters to me, and then put it down. Of course, after that I was hooked.

Petra is one of my favorite characters; she's the one I really want to dream up casting for...

It's an awesome book. OSC saw Jake Lloyd as Ender after watching Star Wars: Episode I, but Lloyd has aged since then. Um. As have we all, I guess... :)

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished reading Ender's Shadow, a parallel novel to Ender's Game that follows Bean as the main character at exactly the same time.

Instead of "the limitations of a two-hour" movie, I really wish OSC would turn the whole thing into a televison series (or if need be a mini-series) that mixes these two plot lines at once. Ender & Bean's world is so rich, full and complex that there are at least two seasons from those books alone, not to mention the sequels (which I am about to start reading Shadow of the Hegemon right after I post).

On a seperate angle of thought, how the heck are they going to get the right kids for this? What 4 to 6 to 8 year-old actors can talk with such depth like that in the real world? Plus kids grow so much during these years. How will they show this growth? The easiest answer to these problems is to go animated, but that wouldn't draw mainstream audiences. I can't think of anything else within budget that might work.

Also, since Ender's Game portrays children dealing so extensively with adult issues, contains adolescent nudity, children cussing, etc. I think that some of the story will probably be watered down. If not, the movie would probably be banned or shunned by ignorant moralists and die on the vine at the box office. Ladies & Gentlemen of the jury I give you Exhibit A: Lord of the Flies - and that story has nothing on Ender's world.

• 2 years later...

I thought it had been mentioned somewhere in this thread that director Wolfgang Petersen had been attached to this project, with a scheduled release sometime in 2008. IMDb still has an Ender's Game listing with Petersen tapped to direct, although it is still listed as being in the pre-production stages. But, as of today, Petersen has been signed to direct a different sci-fi film, Uprising, another inhabitants of Earth rebelling against alien occupation story to be written by Charles (Blood Diamond) Leavitt

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 1 month later...

Looks like Wolfgang Peterson has dropped out of the film adaptation of Ender's Game. IMDb no longer lists him in the Ender's Game page, and io9.com is running a short blurb that producers are searching for a new director for a 2009 release.

You can forget your dreams of a Das Boot/Enemy Mine-style version of Orson Scott Card's classic novel Ender's Game. Director Wolfgang Petersen, previously attached to the project, has moved on, producers tell io9. Chartoff Productions is busy meeting with a slew of potential directors for the Ender's movie, which they hope will start filming by early 2009. But who will play child prodigy Ender?

Story here.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 8 months later...

Orson Scott Card and his world of Ender

This complex weave of emotions has made Ender especially difficult to film and has resulted in two decades of fizzled studio meetings, dead-end scripts and a marathon director search. The author said he was not interested in a "tough-hero action film" and refuses to condescend to green-screen Hollywood. Card imagines a "film where the human relationships are absolutely essential -- an honest presentation of the story."

"Ender's Game" was recently in development with director Wolfgang Petersen ("In the Line of Fire," "The Perfect Storm," "Troy") on board, but Card did not feel comfortable with the movie's direction. That project was scrapped early in November.

Los Angeles Times, January 5

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

Gavin Hood looks to play 'Ender's Game'

EXCLUSIVE: Fans of Orson Scott Card and his seminal science-fiction work "Ender's Game" were despondent last year when the author revealed that he thought the movie could be hitting the rocks.

But the project about a boy hero is now back in active development, sources say, as independent production company Odd Lot Entertainment pushes forward on a movie version of the Hugo and Nebula award-winning novel.

Most interesting, sources say there's now a big-name filmmaker involved with the project -- Gavin Hood, who directed the Oscar-winning "Tsotsi" and last year's comic book franchise "X Men Origins: Wolverine." Hood has done a rewrite of Card's most recent script and is developing the project as a director. . . .

Los Angeles Times, September 20

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 4 months later...

Interesting "spot the film-clip" fan trailer. I especially liked the use of Qui-gon's line, "There's smoething about this boy..."

Still no info at IMDb (unless you have IMDb pro) other than an "in development", projected 2013 release date.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

• 2 weeks later...

Hot Sci-fi Project: Which Studio Will Nab 'Enders Game'?

Ender’s Game, one of the buzziest sci-fi projects in recent memory, is making the rounds at Hollywood studios Tuesday.

The package for the screen adaptation of the Orson Scott Card novel hit nearly every studio, from Warner Bros. to Disney to Sony, as well as financing companies. Follow-up meetings are scheduled this week.

Here’s the package: a script by Gavin Hood (X-Men Origins: Wolverine), who is also attached to direct, with Star Trek superproducers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci producing along with Gigi Pritzker of OddLot Entertainment. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, February 1

• 2 months later...

The buildup to an actual project is proving to be more epic than the series itself.

Mike Fleming:

EXCLUSIVE: Summit Entertainment is acquiring North American rights to a live action adaptation of the Orson Scott Card science fiction novel Ender's Game, with Gavin Hood set to direct his script. Summit, which is winding down its Twilight Saga series, is eyeing Ender's Game as an opportunity to hatch another youth-driven series, with protagonists that are slightly younger than the kids in the upcoming The Hunger Games trilogy. It's another opportunity to discover young talent, because the protagonists in the film are just entering their teens. Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman are producing through their K/O Paper Products banner, along with Odd Lot's Gigi Pritzker and Linda McDonough, the author and Lynn Hendee. The film will be shopped at the upcoming 2011 Cannes Film Festival, with Nick Meyer's Sierra/Affinity brokering offshore deals. The plan is to put the film into production by early next year.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

Summit, which is winding down its Twilight Saga series, is eyeing Ender's Game as an opportunity to hatch another youth-driven series, with protagonists that are slightly younger than the kids in the upcoming The Hunger Games trilogy.

::blowup::

This news has the stench of PG-13 all over it.

I wish Paul Verhoeven could get his hands on this.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

There isn't much violence shown in the book, since

Ender and the kids think it's all a simulation.

Except for the

shower fight which, as it's described, is about as brutal as Eastern Promises.

I wish Paul Verhoeven could get his hands on this.

I don't. I'd hate to see Ender get such an over-the-top treatment.

Edited by N.W. Douglas

Except for the

Forgot about that. It's been a while since I read the book.

It's the side effects that save us.
--The National, "Graceless"
Twitter Blog

Except for the

It's been a while since I picked this up as well, but isn't there also

a fairly brutal fight that occurs at Ender's school, before he's enlisted?

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Except for the

It's been a while since I picked this up as well, but isn't there also

a fairly brutal fight that occurs at Ender's school, before he's enlisted?

Yes, and

its more than "fairly brutal", since it, like the shower fight, results in death.

But I have my doubts that this movie is ever going to be made, and as cinematic as it is, I don't think Hollywood has the courage to do it right.

• 5 months later...

We have a release date: March 15, 2013.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ben Kingsley In Talks to Join Sci-Fi Thriller 'Ender's Game' (Exclusive)

The actor reunites with "Hugo" co-star Asa Butterfield in the Odd Lot adaptation, set in a future where the Earth is under attack by an insect-like race.

Hollywood Reporter, December 8