X-Men Origins: Wolverine (2009)

Link to X-Men: The Last Stand thread.

Fox and Hugh Jackman have promised to finish the movie by next year.

Like I say in the X-Men thread, I think it's about time Hugh Jackman made the transition from Han Solo to Indiana Jones ... and I don't think playing Han Solo solo will quite cut it.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might have a point about Jackman and his career -- then again, Han Solo fans weren't waiting twenty years before Star Wars for a solo Han Solo movie to be made. Pretty big difference, which is why this is happy news for us comic book geeks.

Iron Man, Wolverine and Spider-Man 3 all next summer? I wonder if that isn't just one to many Marvels in 2007...

-s.

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

• 1 year later...

Fox says Hood good for 'Wolverine'

Twentieth Century Fox has set Gavin Hood to direct Hugh Jackman in "Wolverine," the "X-Men" spin-off film that was scripted by David Benioff. Pic, which begins production in November for 2008 release, will be produced by Lauren Shuler-Donner, Jackman and his Seed Prods. partner John Palermo. Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film "Tsotsi" won the foreign film Oscar. He was among several hot young directors vying for "Wolverine" and sources said Fox brass was swayed after viewing his latest film, "Rendition," the politically charged New Line drama starring Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep and Peter Sarsgaard.

Variety, July 19

• 1 month later...
Filming to begin in November? (The site says that "previous X-Men movies have been filmed in Vancouver", but does not clarify that the very first film was filmed in Toronto.)

• 1 month later...

'Wolverine' claws on May '09 date

Twentieth Century Fox is sinking its claws into May 1, 2009, for the release of Hugh Jackman starrer "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," which director Gavin Hood begins shooting later this year. "Wolverine" is expected to feature many other mutants -- some new to the film franchise and some from one or more of the three "X-Men" films. Liev Schreiber is reportedly in final talks to take on the role of a younger version of nemesis William Stryker, played by Brian Cox in "X2." . . . Pic explores the claw-wielding character Wolverine's violent and romantic past, and his complex relationship with Victor Creed and the ominous Weapon X program, as well as his encounters with other mutants. . . .

Variety, October 17

Smit-McPhee is Young Logan in Wolverine

Superhero Hype!, October 25

• 3 months later...

Reynolds, will.i.am join 'Wolverine'

Twentieth Century Fox has added three more superheroes to "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," with Ryan Reynolds set to play Deadpool, "Friday Night Lights" regular Taylor Kitsch to star as Gambit and hip-hop artist will.i.am joining the cast as Wraith.

Liev Schreiber, Danny Huston and Lynn Collins round out the cast as Victor Creed/Sabretooth, Col. William Stryker and Kayla Silverfox, respectively. . . .

Reynolds has been circling the role of Deadpool, an assassin with self-healing powers, for some time; Marvel is keen on spinning off the character into his own film series. . . .

Variety, February 19

Dominic Monaghan joins the Wolverine cast as Barnell.

Monaghan will play Barnell, a mysterious character from Wolverine's past who has the ability to manipulate energy and electricity.

Story here.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

• 5 months later...

Somehow, I just can't see the promos saying, "From the Academy-award-winning director of Tsotsi..."

But wow. That's preview if more fun than any of the X-Men trailers.

And it seems that this year's supercool maneuver is the high-speed 180-degree turn.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

But wow. That's preview if more fun than any of the X-Men trailers.

Hmm I think I'll reserve judgment on the trailer until there's a higher quality one available. The appearance of

Gambit

got me pretty excited for the movie, though.

• 3 weeks later...
Jeffrey Wells:

There was/is a huge
Wolverine
set being recently used. I'm not even sure which lot it was built on, but the look or mood of the set is, according to a source who was told Hood's view of things, supposed to be on the
dark, dinghy and somber side
. I only know what I was told, but the basics are that Hood was away from the set for whatever reason (shooting something else, taking a day or two off), and when he returned to the big somber set he was
shocked to find that it had been repainted top to bottom
on Rothman's orders. The murky-scuzzy vibe was gone, and a brighter and less downish look had taken its place.

One of Wells's commenters adds:

Rothman wants a WOLVERINE aimed expressly at twelve-year-olds. I'd say he has a point, but his idea of what a twelve-year-old likes is the reason the FANTASTIC FOUR franchise ended with the second movie.

Another adds:

Rothman knows. There's obviously no market for dark comic-book adaptations these days.

For whatever that's worth.

• 4 weeks later...

Fox's not-so-hot summer at the movies

Although Fox has been the envy of many for its remarkable box office consistency and profit margins, many producers, agents and managers have been less than charmed. Complaints about the studio's tendency to lowball talent -- particularly writers -- and Rothman's micro-managing of productions have become widespread. A broad spectrum of reps say they are reluctant to place clients on Fox projects, citing a talent-unfriendly atmosphere. Two recent productions, "Babylon A.D." and "Wolverine," were rumored to have gone through Fox's on-set maelstrom.

On the eve of the film's release, "Babylon" helmer Mathieu Kassovitz publicly claimed the studio ruined his longtime passion project. "Wolverine" helmer Gavin Hood was nearly fired, according to sources, because of squabbles with the studio, and two backup directors were in place before Richard Donner -- who is married to the film's producer Lauren Shuler Donner -- flew to the Australian set to smooth things over. At the time, Fox insisted that Richard Donner was on-set because he is a producer on the film. However, current credits for the film list various producers, but Donner is not one of them. . . .

Further compounding Fox's summer woes was a backlash last month from the fanboy community, which is incensed by the studio's lawsuit over Warner Bros.' right to make the film "Watchmen." Fans of the graphic novel have threatened to boycott Fox films like "Wolverine" if Fox's legal maneuverings prevent the film from opening on schedule March 6 -- though most consider that unlikely. . . .

Though Fox has no plans for a major overhaul, the studio has scheduled a strategy meeting to assess the status of its superheroes, a group sorely missed this summer. On the agenda, Fox will mull the possibility of more "X-Men" spinoffs, including a young-X-Men project as well as "Deadpool," based on a character played by Ryan Reynolds in "Wolverine." The studio is even considering reviving the "Daredevil" property. . . .

Variety, September 5

• 3 months later...

The trailer.

Not bad. I get an X2 vibe (maybe its the epic choral chanting). Though the great ensemble from that film will not be here, Jackman's Wolverine is always compelling. He was the best thing about the X-Men trilogy (well, maybe Ian McKellen could give him a run for his money). I am more than willing to give his solo outing a chance.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

I never, ever wanted to see a hero walk solemnly toward the camera while the world blows up behind him again.

The Joker did it as well as it could ever be done. The shot should be put to bed. It's gone beyond self-parody.

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook and Twitter.

... hero walk solemnly toward the camera while the world blows up behind him ....

Ooooooo! Great idea for a "favorite scene of" list. Maybe it could include villains walking away from the world blowing up behind them, as well. I'd nominate Brian Dennehy from Silverado, as he walks towards the camera while the land office burns behind him.... okay, back to Wolverine

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

I wonder if Jackman will work Wolverine into his Oscar hosting routine. Maybe he could do something like this:

1) The Coen brothers are having trouble opening the envelope for Best Director.

2) Jackman walks over to them and suddenly some blades pop out of his hand, and he slices the envelope open!

3) Great hilarity ensues.

• 4 months later...

Huh, this is interesting (to me, at least): Of the three X-Men movies released to date, not only has each film made more money than the one before in terms of raw dollars, but each film has ended up higher on the yearly list of top-grossing films (at least domestically):

• 2000, July 14 -- X-Men -- $157.3 million (domestic) -- #8 (domestic) -- $296.3 million (worldwide) -- #9 (worldwide)
  • 2003, May 2 -- X2: X-Men United -- $214.9 million (domestic) -- #6 (domestic) -- $407.7 million (worldwide) -- #9 (worldwide)
  • 2006, May 25 -- X-Men: The Last Stand -- $234.4 million (domestic) -- #4 (domestic) -- $459.4 million (worldwide) -- #7 (worldwide)
And, according to BoxOfficeMojo.com at least, the budgets have gone up from $75 million to $110 million to $210 million ... and they don't have a figure yet for the budget for X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Anyway. Will Wolverine continue the upward trend? Will it at least stay somewhere in that ballpark? Or will it ... not?

I can't help but feel that the film's lack of the earlier installments' all-star supporting cast might result in a little less interest. I am sure Wolverine will do well financially, but this time there's no Ian McKellen, no Patrick Stewart, no Halle Berry, no furry blue Frasier. Consequently, people might look upon this one as a second-rate X-Men flick.

Of course, that's just my theory. So if the flick is a roaring box-office success, I can always fall back on this disclaimer. :D

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

According to someone over at aintitcool, the theatrical version of Wolverine is in fact exactly the same as the poorly received workprint version that was leaked a few weeks ago. The effects shots have been completed, of course, but contrary to the spin the studio put on it, the leaked version is pretty much what you'll see in theaters.

Jeff wrote:

: I can't help but feel that the film's lack of the earlier installments' all-star supporting cast might result in a little less interest. I am sure Wolverine will do well financially, but this time there's no Ian McKellen, no Patrick Stewart, no Halle Berry, no furry blue Frasier. Consequently, people might look upon this one as a second-rate X-Men flick.

Well... um... that AICN report that morgan1098 alludes to mentions at least one actor (besides Jackman, obviously) who is apparently making a re-appearance in this movie, but I hadn't seen that name come up anywhere else before, so take that with the proverbial grains of you-know-what.

Personally, I just want to know if there was ever any indication in the earlier films that Wolverine and Sabretooth were half-brothers who had fought alongside each other for over a century before Wolverine lost his memory, or that Cyclops had come across these characters before when he was just a teenager, etc., etc. For that matter, will this movie fit with what we were told about Colonel Stryker's back-story in X2? (Sabretooth... Cyclops... Stryker... has the studio revealed any other old characters yet who are being played by new actors in this prequel?) I haven't seen the original films since their release dates, but I suspect a heck of a lot of ret-conning will have to be done here.

morgan1098 wrote:

: According to someone over at aintitcool, the theatrical version of Wolverine is in fact exactly the same as the poorly received workprint version that was leaked a few weeks ago. The effects shots have been completed, of course, but contrary to the spin the studio put on it, the leaked version is pretty much what you'll see in theaters.

Doesn't surprise me. It was widely reported at the time that the workprint version had a special-effects shot time-stamped sometime in March, along with the name of the company that provided the shot -- and the special-effects company in question issued a statement denying that the leak could have possibly come from them (because the special-effects company only had possession of the shots it was working on, and not the entire film). At any rate, with a release date of May 1 and, of course, the necessity of junkets and premieres being held even earlier than that, that would leave less than two months for changes between the workprint and the final theatrical version -- and how major could the changes have been, really?

Did Fox tell a whopper about the pirated copy of 'Wolverine'?

. . . I can't say Fox has done a great job of combating this latest onslaught of bad news. After waiting for hours, I finally got a bland statement that doesn't address at all the issue of how Rothman could say roughly 10 minutes were missing when, in fact, the running time of the finished film -- 107 minutes, according to those who've seen it -- is the same running time as the pirated version.

All Fox said was that the pirated workprint "is substantially different than the release version. The pirated version had over 400 unfinished effects, dozens of unrefined scenes and no sound or score or color work done at all and is not remotely representative of the experience that moviegoers will have when the film is finally released theatrically."

Fox insiders also say theatergoers will get an "Easter egg" surprise at the end of the film, with the arrival of two versions of new narrative footage (i.e. not outtakes) that will push the storyline forward. Half of the prints around the country will have one version, half will have the other.

Patrick Goldstein, Los Angeles Times, April 24

- - -

Hmmm. I don't suppose next week's press screenings would include BOTH of those endings, would they?

And what does "push the storyline forward" mean, if these scenes will arrive at the END of the film? Something that bridges the gap between this movie and the first X-Men movie? Something that leads into the OTHER prequels in the works, such as X-Men Origins: Magneto or X-Men: First Class? Something that leads into yet another Wolverine movie?

Hmmm, whose voice-over is that at the beginning of this TV spot?