Sign in to follow this  

Top100 Voting Progress

I was wondering if there was a possibility to build a slight bit of "conservatism" (for lack of a better word) into the list - i.e. films that have been on the list before get a slight edge in the voting over films that are newly nominated.

What I'm envisioning is something like this: for every year that a film has been in the final Top 100 list, it receives one "definitely belongs on the list" vote, up to a total of (say) five. That would give previous years' voting some weight, though not make them a determining factor.

Maybe something like this is already in place, but if not - that's my recommendation.

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

After writing my missive on TMOJ, I took the survey. Very well done! I haven't seen many of the nominated films, so I was glad to see the default of "I haven't seen this film" preselected. Gosh, that made the survey easier!

Do you weight the votes of published critics (or overquota)? That seems to be a fair procedure.

How will you analyze the data? Averaging the scores (4 pt scale?) and then ranking from highest to lowest?

Will you cross tab? I so want to know how many people who've seen and rated "Au Hasard Balthazar" as definitely belonging also rated "Star Wars" as definitely belonging!

We're up to 55 completed questionnaires (including one from an Oxford Don!), plus 24 saved "starts". Here are the new comments:

1. Oops, sorry that was a typo. I meant to say "Oxford Dan". I was well-dresed when I took the survey this year.

We're up to 55 completed questionnaires (including one from an Oxford Don!), plus 24 saved "starts".

Do Oxford Dons get added weight? Are they allowed to vote for C. S. Lewis inspired films or is there a conflict of interest?

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

We're up to 55 completed questionnaires (including one from an Oxford Don!), plus 24 saved "starts".

Do Oxford Dons get added weight? Are they allowed to vote for C. S. Lewis inspired films or is there a conflict of interest?

Do all academics get more credit or just ivy leaguers/old schoolers?

Do honorary degrees confer more weight, or does it have to be an earned degree in a liberal arts field?

Do B.A.s count as much as B.S.? (Silly question, I know, but just wanted an excuse to let Beavis and DanBuck go "hehehhehe...he used the initials B.S........heheheheh).

Peace.

Ken (aka Dr. Professor Smart Ass)

Do all academics get more credit or just ivy leaguers/old schoolers?

Do honorary degrees confer more weight, or does it have to be an earned degree in a liberal arts field?

Do B.A.s count as much as B.S.? (Silly question, I know, but just wanted an excuse to let Beavis and DanBuck go "hehehhehe...he used the initials B.S........heheheheh).

Ken, C'mon give me and Beavis some credit. This kind of thing is wayyyy below me.

Ken (aka Dr. Professor Smart Ass)

hehehhehe... he said ass.

Ken, I'll give Beth extra credit, but you're going to have to work for it.

That's okay, Beth and I only really disagree about Buffy, Bollywood, Altman, Magnolia (I think), Little House on the Prairie, and, according to Neflix:

Million Dollar Baby

The Bourne Supremacy

Cold Mountain

The Upside of Anger

Proof

The Village

Fight Club

Chasing Amy

So I guess I can live with that, especially since, as I look at the list, I honstely can't remember which side of the disagreement I'm on for any of the films mentioned except maybe The Village, which I have have little fear would impact the vote here.

HOWEVER...I do have to say for the benefit of all listening and the integrity of the project....

Alan is about to give extra credit to someone who gave The Village four (yes that's 4) stars.

There ain't yet been the degree invented or conferred that would put enough weight behind that opinion to sway me. (except maybe a J.D. ;) )

Peace.

Ken

Alan is about to give extra credit to someone who gave The Village four (yes that's 4) stars.

8O

I had no idea. Beth, thanks for already completing the survey, but I'm afraid...aw, nuts.

First, this thread is getting awfully personal for something that was going to remain anonymous :huh: But please, don't give me extra credit for anything! Everyone knows Alan is kidding, right?

Second, I gave The Village 4 stars? What was I thinking? Maybe it was my DH...

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Second, I gave The Village 4 stars? What was I thinking? Maybe it was my DH...

Beth:

You married someone who gave The Village 4 stars? (You know I'm gonna have to take this up with aforementioned DH don't you?) :lol:

But you are right, sorry I didn't read the beginning of the thread that said to stay anonymous.

Peace.

Ken

As far as additional analysis--for me, it's interesting just browse the grid of votes, being able to see who's see what and who likes what. I won't share any of the individual votes at all. I want participants to be free to vote as they really wish and not feel pressured to give films certain ratings either to "correct" the list or to comply with what they perceive as the positions of opinion leaders here.

NOT that I consider myself an "opinion leader," I hasten to add.

Of course, The Village isn't a Top 100 nominee, in any case. :)

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

We Village fans are a lonely lot.

I won't shed any tears. That'll be Ken's job, when the list comes out, and Magnolia is sitting pretty on it. [emoticon removed, because we all know that this is a nasty, ill-intended comment, designed explicitly to make Ken feel isolated and inferior. No winking allowed!!]

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

I just finished voting, and I have to say that each time I do this I find myself voting with different (and always vague) criteria in mind. Several of my scores surprised me this time. I had always supported prolonging the periods between votes -- maybe stretching them out to every two or three years -- but now I'm growing to like the idea of the list as something more organic and shifting.

As always, I'll be really curious to see the results. (And the stats geek in me would love to go digging through all of Alan's data.)

Edited by Darren H

I tried filling out the survey earlier today, but the site is slower than slow and just hung there. I couldn't even make it through the first page of titles.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Comments:

1. ...
  2. Just a sincere thank you for this list. It is the foundation of a high school Sunday School class and an adult small group that I lead. Love it, love it, love it.
My thoughts:

#6 ... Wow -- this makes it all so worthwhile ... thank you! Best comment so far. I want to move and join your church!

When I co-taught an honors course we called "Popular Culture and the Sacred" last year, we used the 2004 list first as a guide to build up our library's DVD collection, and then for several film-related assignments in the course, including comparing it with the 2005 list. So another "Thank you" from me--to Alan and everyone who participated in nominating and voting for the lists.

Well, we're at 158. I've completed my questionnaire. I would really like to get to 160.

Alan: PM me my survey link and I'll try to do it tonight after I finish my e-mails because, well, you want to get to 160 and it's such a small thing to do to make someone happy.

Ken

2:40 in the morning....I hope you appreciate me.

Edited by kenmorefield

Still 162...this is my last post before I close the survey @ 8pm-ish.

One more, um, anonymous comment from the Survey:

Wise sounding fellow that. :gandalf: And I appreciate your editing out the part where I called Greydanus a deadbeat, since that window already passed. ;)

Edited by kenmorefield

The Man Who Planted Trees was not made for TV!

The Man Who Planted Trees was not made for TV!

No but Wit and Angels were. My objection to TMWPT was that it was a short film, and I thought they were not eligible. (I conflated two separate objections in those two sentences. Poorly. (But I did rate TMWPT 5 even though I objected on some levels to its nomination.)

Edited by kenmorefield

I know, I know, just clarifying. It's an A&F tradition.

If it were up to me (which obviously it isn't), I'd include all films regardless of where they were distributed or how long they were.

One other thing: I'll be having the board re-calculate everyone's post count. For those such as ken, this means your listed counts will go down (and your questionnaires will have less of an impact on the results).

Well, judging by last year's results, it couldn't be that much less.

Edited by kenmorefield