Sign in to follow this  
Ron Reed

Movie Prayers

Bruce Almighty

Smite me, O mighty smiter!

Sonny in The Apostle. Bedroom Scene.

Ed Harris in The Third Miracle

"I would leave everything, everything, if I knew it was all true"

Priest - Our Father prayer answered scene.

Behrani in House of Sand and Fog

:spoilers:

Please, God, don't take my joon-am. I make my nazr. My nazr, hear me, please to hear me. I will give everything to one who is less fortunate. Yes! I will make it for the broken bird. Please, God, I'm making nazr to this woman. To Kathy Nicolo. And I, to you I promise, if you heal my son, I will return her father's house. I will also give to her all the money I have. My God, Khoda. I make nazr only for my son. Please, I want only for my son. I beg you. I will do whatever is your will. I will purchase ten kilos of the finest seed and I will find an American mosque and I will feed them to all the birds outside. I will let the birds cover me and peck out my eyes! Please, God, my nazr is in your hands!

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

WICKER MAN (1973)

1:24:38

Dear God, i humbly entreat thee for the soul of this thy servant

Neil Howie

, who will today depart from this world. Do not deliver me into the enemy's hands or put me out of mind forever. Let me not undergo the real pains of hell, dear God, because I die unshriven. And establish me in that bliss which knows no ending, O Christ, Our Lord...

Edited by Ron

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

BARCELONA

34:15

34:57

Well, we should get started.

(CUT TO P.O.V. of forklift driver coming to pick up the casket)

Our Father, preserve us from the dangers of the seas and the violence of enemies. Bless the United States. Watch over all that are upon the deep and protect the inhabitants of the land in peace and quiet. 'All hands bury the dead. (Trumpet plays) Unto Almighty God we commend the soul of our brother departed.''

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind: at about 1:30, Nausicaa prays for God to protect the valley.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

One of the more unusual uses of prayer in a movie. Private Jackson, while targeting several different German soldiers, in Saving Private Ryan...

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: Be not that far from me, for trouble is near; haste Thee to help me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

One of the more unusual uses of prayer in a movie. Private Jackson, while targeting several different German soldiers, in Saving Private Ryan...

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: Be not that far from me, for trouble is near; haste Thee to help me.

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

[Lining up a rifle shot]

Private Jackson: O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

These are all passages from Psalms, aren't they? Not that they can't be prayers, as well.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

The Notorious Bettie Page

Thank you, subtitles

(According to the commentary, the script writer used recordings or transcripts of actual revival sermons from a seminary archive as a resource for sermons and, perhaps, prayers in this film)

:spoilers:

Miami altar call prayer:

O my God, tonight I know that first things come first,

and the most important thing of all

is that men and women and young people surrender their lives to Christ.

God, don't let a mother's boy who heard me preach here tonight go to hell.

God, don't let a mother's girl who heard me tonight go to hell.

Don't let a daddy or a mother who heard me preach tonight go to hell.

Save them. Save them tonight...from all their sins.

May they be born again, washed in the blood,

saved through and through without the loss of any, I pray.

Amen. Amen.

Miami preacher's prayer for Bettie:

O Father, we ask that you deliver this woman from sin.

Destroy it by the spirit of God.

Heal her through and through, including her heart.

Make her a new creature in Christ.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

They pray the Lord's Prayer in MY NIGHT AT MAUD'S. There are at least three liturgical sections, much of which would be prayer, as well. Sorry not to be more specific.

It might be fun to see which films end the Lord's Prayer the "western" way ("Deliver us from evil", which is pretty general) and which films end the Lord's Prayer the "eastern" way ("Deliver us from the Evil One", which is much more specific). Offhand, the only film I can think of that has done it even close to the latter way is a documentary on, um, that photographer who caused a controversy in England when she put up photos of her naked children at an art exhibit (I forget her name); her schizophrenic mother, who has some sort of affiliation with a Russian group, ends it with "Deliver us from the Devil".

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

In Deja Vu, early as they watch Claire in the past, she gives a morning prayer of thanks for the day.

-from the film
Armin

from Sophie Scholl: The Final Days, thanks to the English subtitles. I hope the minimal context provided won't be considered excessive:

Sophie (awakened in prison in the middle of the night):

Dear God, all I can do is stammer to you.

I can do nothing but hold out my heart to you.

You created us in your likeness. Our hearts are uneasy

until they find peace in you.

Amen.

[Nice allusion to St. Augustine]

Sophie (at prison window before her trial):

I beg you from the bottom of my heart

I beseech you

I beseech thee, even though I know nothing about you.

You alone are my salvation.

I beg of you, please, don't turn away from me, dear God,

my glorious Father.

Amen.

Sophie's final prayer:

My God, glorious Father,

transform this ground into fertile earth,

so your seeds may not fall in vain.

Let the longing grow for you the creator that they so often do not want to see.

Amen.

Minister's blessing:

May God the Father bless you, who created you in his image;

May God the Son bless you, whose suffering and death redeems you;

May God the Holy Spirit bless you, who leads you to his temple and hallows you.

May the Triune God judge you with mercy and grant you eternal life. Amen.

[subtitles said "Trinity," but the actual words were certainly "three-in-one God," which is stronger]

Winter Light: (English dub)

Oh, God. Why have you made me discontented, afraid, and bitter? Why must I understand my distress? Why must I suffer so horribly from my indifference? If you have some kind of purpose for my suffering, please tell me. Then I shall bear my torment without even a sigh. I'm strong. You have made me strong, both in body and soul, but you've never asked me to use my strength. God, give a meaning to my life, and I will be loyal to you eternally.

There are 3 or 4 prayers in Apocalypto, but the gods prayed to have names that aren't easy to remember. My favorite is the one prayed by a woman captive as they cross the river. Something like a Marian prayer.

-from the film
Armin

A couple of prayers in Entertaining Angels:

0:50 -- a fairly conventional prayer: "Lord You've got to show me what to do...."

1:33 -- one that may go into my all time favorite prayers: Dorothy begins as she walks into church. "Where are you? Why don't you answer me? [catalog of her problems and the problems of the people she cares for] Am I suppose to find you in them? Because you're ugly; you're drunk; you wet your pants; you vomit. How could anyone ever love you? I need you, but you're not here. You've deserted me too, haven't you."

-from the film
Armin

The Night of the Hunter has some chilling conversations with God from Harry Powell that are in the vein of Sonny in The Apostle. Ther is also a brief prayer by Willa on their wedding night that she be made clean.

-from the film
Armin

I recall a few, but these are just paraphrases from memory, not direct quotes.

"It's a Wonderful Life" starts off with a view of snowy rooftops all over Bedford falls, and we can hear dozens--perhaps hundreds--of voices, lifting up the name of George Baily in prayer. Next is the conversation between the two angels (Joseph and another high-ranking angel whose name I forget) discussing the fact that so many prayers are being raised for George Baily. And they decide they need to dispatch an angel (Clairence) to go and help George

Later on, after George has found out about the missing money, we find George sitting in tears at Martini's Bar, drinking heavily. And he whispers "Lord, you know I'm not a praying man, but ... [and he says something like 'I sure could use a little help right about now']..."

"Miracles" starts off with the tribal chief in a tropical village angrily sentencing the medicine man to death for failing to cure his little child from some sort of sickness (the child isn't dead, but pretty close). The medicine man gets staked down onto the beach and he lies there all night long, looking up at the stars and calls out: "To the great god of the universe whose name I don't know, I ask not for my sake but for the sake of that poor child--" [he's interrupted by a sudden explosion of lightening and thunder] "--okay, so maybe I am asking a little bit for myself too. Please, send another medicine man, one with medicine stronger than my own, a man who can cure the chief's child." And then the credits roll. And then we find the hero (a doctor) and his wife in a Los Angeles lawyer's office finally finishing up the paperwork for their very, very bitter divorce. And the two of them are then subjected to the most ridiculous and endless series of utterly unlikely events (or "miracles") which sends them both half way around the world in a mere twenty-four hours to the tribal village where the child lies dying. [My favorite mircale is when the hooker in six-inch stilleto heels is walking at night in a very seedy section of town. Right across the street is an occult bookstore. A car is driving toward her, and she suddenly gets her heel caught in the road. She can't move and is about to get hit by the oncoming car. She yanks on her leg and the spike heel snaps off the bottom of her boot. Now she runs and leaves the spike sticking up in the air. The car runs over the heel and ruptures a tire. The car careens right into the occult book store and destroys it. So with one miracle, a hooker AND an occult book store are both put out of commission (at least for a while). And I think I recall that there was also a Christian storefront soup kitchen right next to the occult book store which the careening car did NOT hit.]

"Saved." The rebellious Jewish girl spends the whole night driving around in worry, looking for the kid in the wheelchair (I think he was played by McCauly Culkin). At one point during her frantic driving she whispers "Please let me find him!" This one moment was perhaps the entire payoff for her own character arc. All of "Saved" is full of many, many prayers. But her one prayer was the most significant because it was a character arc fulfillment. The funniest prayer was when the main character finds out she's pregnant and makes her way alone to stand solo before the HUGE cross on the lawn of the Christian school she attends. And as she looks up at Jesus' face, all she can bring herself to say is a blurt of tear-laden profanity.

INT. HOLY TRINITY CHURCH - SANCTUARY - NIGHT

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Yes... in fact .... I consider that one scripture to be an occupational hazard.

There's a prayer in Sherrybaby about 6-8 minuted in when she is going to bed.

-from the film
Armin

In "Catch Me If You Can" Leonardi DiCaprio goes with his girlfriend to her parents house to meet them and ask for her hand in marriage. They're a very fine, traditional Southern family of lawyers. And they expect their daughter to marry a Christian man. He lies and says he is a Christian. When they all sit down to dinner they ask him to say grace. He has no idea what to say. So he borrows from an inspirational allegorical tale about two little mice that his father often told at Rotary Club meetings.

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Apollo 13 had a montage of the world-wide reaction to the plight of the astronaughts, including the Pope calling for prayers for their safe return to Earth.

FATHER LORENZO

PASTOR DAVID

FATHER LORENZO

Indigenes (Days of Glory) has several scenes in which the soldiers are praying, including one where we hear a good part of their morning prayers. The corporel often uses the Shahadah ("There is no god but God") in much the same way that the Lord's Prayer or a line from Ps. 23 might be used by Christian soldiers.

-from the film
Armin

From Conan the Barbarian.

Conan: Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

There are several in Land of Plenty

-from the film
Armin

No one has mentioned Aunt May praying the Lord's Prayer in Spider-Man (the first one)? I'm surprised.

Edward Curtis

Morgantown, WV

Hold the physician in honor, for he is essential to you, and God it was who created his profession. Sirach 38:1 NAB

From Conan the Barbarian.

Conan: Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!

Hey, you stole mine!