Sign in to follow this  
Christian

Choosing Furniture

I have read many a book in this chair from Ikea:

IPB Image

You can get them rather inexpensively, and upgrade to a corduroy or leather seat cover. There is a nice ottoman that goes along with it. I typically don't like Ikea furniture, but this chair was remarkably sturdy.

There doesn't have to be a known designer attached for me to appreciate the design. Although I wouldn't say that not looking comfy = not being comfy. A prime example is my favourite chair of all time: Marcel Breuer Wassily's armchair. I've been in love with this chair since I used to slide down it's then oversized leather band seat, feet dangling off the end, with an oversized art book in my lap at our local art gallery. They put it away every now and again and every time it reappears is a joyous occasion for me. A sheer pleasure to sit in. It's also the best chair I've ever come across for crossing your legs in. Classy all round.

Have to say I don't particularly appreciate the design of either of the series you've mentioned. The second in particular is far too 1960's office reception for my tastes... (Is this furniture design blasphemy?)

Nah, I don't think disliking the Barcelona series is that ;) I am personally drawn to the legs

I have read many a book in this chair from Ikea:

Ah yes... the Ikea chair. Were it not tainted with the memory of a regretful evening in a boy's bedroom one drunken night, I would consider purchasing it. He had it in pride of place in his bedroom, with a pile of predictable modern lit student reading list books beside it. I should have known then to escape whilst I still could. And the worst of it is that this perfectly affordable & yet quite nicely designed reading chair was completely spoiled for me!

And you're right about looking comfy not necessarily being comfy, for certain!

No, no! You got it the wrong way round. Although the above is also true. What I was trying to say is that often the most uncomforable looking of chairs is an absolute pleasure to sit in. This definitely applies to modernist designs.

And you're right about looking comfy not necessarily being comfy, for certain!

No, no! You got it the wrong way round. Although the above is also true. What I was trying to say is that often the most uncomforable looking of chairs is an absolute pleasure to sit in. This definitely applies to modernist designs.

My bad. Just reading and typing too fast, trying to avoid feeling guilty for not doing something "productive!" ::blushing::

gigi: We have two Herman Miller knock-offs that we have picked up at Notting Hill type street sales here. There are two main makers of that chair that would take a good eye to spot. Ply-Craft is the one with the best veneers for the wood shells, the other one is significantly cheaper with less spectacular wood. I don't know the name of this second mfr and there are subtle differences that lead me to prefer the Ply-Craft.

Google Ply-Craft, or Plycraft and see what you find. I find these chairs comfortable as well as aesthetically pedigreed.

The deed is done.

Our local retailer came within $25 of the price from the North Carolina outfit. With only one-third downpayment required from our local retailer, the choice was obvious. We made the purchase earlier today. Eight to 10 weeks before delivery.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

Dale: I'm sorry, but you won't be getting a check.

One more thing. The back cushions on this sofa are sewn into the back of the couch. I just discovered this Saturday. Aesthetically, I think this may account for much of the appeal of the sofa.

Not only is the sofa more comfortable than all the others

Do I need to pay you a commission on the $25 I didn't save you?

Dale