Sign in to follow this  

Toy Story 3

Scott Renshaw says: "I predict many people will claim one element of TOY STORY 3 is an inferior redundancy of TOY STORY 2. They will be wrong." Mike D'Angelo replies: "You know, the fundamental problem with this movie is that I actually don't know which of many aspects you're referring to."

Persona wrote:

: Peter, at this point you have 58 of the 99 posts in this thread. Enough is enough with the toys already.

He who dies with the most posts wins.

And Toy Story 3 won't be able to gain enough attention without your help? Or anyone who wants all this info can't just look it up with a simple google search?

Truth be told... I find the idea of people posting to complain about people posting links a lot more annoying and tedious than I do people posting links.

Truth be told... I find the idea of people posting to complain about people posting links a lot more annoying and tedious than I do people posting links.

Sorry, I do believe that is my first and last time in the decade or so I've been on this forum. I'll try not to let it happen again.

I am not trying to be overly harsh. I just did not understand the complaint when it was originally made either. I mean, people post a link. Sometimes it generates conversation and sometimes it doesn't. It's not harmful. Noone is hurt or damaged by it. Why were people so concerned about it?

I see that the movie is still 100% fresh at Rotten Tomatoes. Will the infamous Armond White be the one to give it the first negative review of any Toy Story movie, or will someone else beat him to the punch?

Well, it's early days yet. There are only 13 reviews counted for this film so far, in contrast to the 68 reviews of the first film and the 140 reviews of the second film. And even some of the "fresh" reviews have significant qualifiers built into them.

What I find interesting is the charges of "schmaltz" and "sappiness" with regard to the film's closing minutes. Now, I know how the story ends, because I've read the colouring book, and there is nothing NECESSARILY "schmaltzy" or "sappy" about the ending -- but I can certainly see how the filmmakers could have spun it that way. It could be an interesting test case for the old "A film is not what it's about, but how it's about it" mantra.

Oh, and FWIW, over at Metacritic, Toy Story has a metascore of 92 and a user score of 8.9, Toy Story 2 has a metascore of 88 and a user score of 8.7, and Toy Story 3 is currently averaging about 87 points per review, but because there are only three reviews there, the film doesn't have an official metascore yet.

Well, it's early days yet. There are only 13 reviews counted for this film so far, in contrast to the 68 reviews of the first film and the 140 reviews of the second film. And even some of the "fresh" reviews have significant qualifiers built into them.

At 23 reviews, it is still 100% fresh at RT, with an average rating of 8.7. Toy Story had an average rating of 8.9 and Toy Story 2 had an average rating of 8.6. Generally, however, movies tend to decline as more reviewers come in as early reviews (for whatever reason) tend to be more enthusiastic than the average.

Seattle critics have been given a strict "wait until June 18th," so I'm shutting up til then.

77 reviews at Rotten Tomatoes and still 100% positive. However, I think the movie to see is Jonah Hex 24 reviews all rotten sounds like quality entertainment.

David Poland: "It’s the Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom of the Toy Story series… and that happens to be my favorite Indy, as it is the one most made for adult sensibilities."

Stef must already be in line then. :lol:

My review begins with some thoughts on the first two films.

Toy Story 2 was The Empire Strikes Back to the original’s Star Wars, with one glaring difference: Where The Empire Strikes Back ended on a transitional note that cried out for a third chapter, Toy Story 2 cross-examined and revealed its characters’ relationships and destinies with such utter finality that there would seem to be nothing left to say about them. Eleven years later, Pixar’s track record of excellence makes it hard to imagine them messing up Toy Story 3. On the other hand, is Toy Story 2 too tough an act for any conceivable threequel to follow?

Well, almost. The bar isn’t set quite as high, but Toy Story 3 finds ways to turn some of its challenges into strengths. For Woody especially, it’s a welcome opportunity for a victory lap. Where both previous outings explored his frailties as well as his better qualities, the third chapter gives him a chance to be the hero Andy always knew he was. An inspired opening sequence somehow honors the openings of both previous films at once, revisiting Woody’s glory days in Andy’s fantasies in a new cinematic idiom. This is Woody’s true self, and in Toy Story 3 he stays gratifyingly true to form.

Best. Trilogy. Ever.

I don't like using the word "best," usually. It's so wide open to debate. But I challenge anybody to come up with a trilogy in which all three episodes are so uniformly strong.

I can't wait for the next Pixar trailer to inspire the next wave of, "Oh, this looks worrying. This is going to be the one where they blow it." It must be just so aggravating for those who can't wait to see them fail.

Pixar may make a less-than-impressive film one day, but these movies make me glad to be alive to see them when they open, to see this streak unfold. Award ceremonies may decide that this is just a cartoon and kick it to the curb, but if we see a more entertaining, emotional, hilarious, and creatively inspiring movie this year I'll be very surprised.

Overstreet wrote:

: Pixar may make a less-than-impressive film one day . . .

They did. It was called Cars. :)

The interesting thing about Pixar's current rash of sequels is that several of the reviews of Toy Story 3 have begun by saying something along the lines of "Pixar has set the bar so high, this movie can't help but be a letdown on SOME level", whereas I imagine with Cars 2 the critics might say that Pixar set the bar so LOW on that film that the sequel can't help but be an improvement.

Well, Cars wasn't their best. But I still prefer it to most of the best work of other animation studios. I give it a strong B. I liked it better than A Bug's Life or Monster's Inc. And both of those are strong Bs, if I have to give them grades.

Anyway: I don't think Pixar's made a bad, or even a mediocre, film yet. But that's endlessly arguable and subjective.

And here is the inevitable, obligatory dive into the easter eggs of Toy Story 3.

Edited by Overstreet

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Let's consider the hating on Cars as read and move on, shall we?

Thank you!

I'm hard pressed to think of plausible contenders. Actually, I can only think of one: The Bourne trilogy. I'm not saying it is stronger, but it's a plausible contender. I do think that the Bourne trilogy is uniformly solid -- and Bourne 3 has surprises in a way that TS3 doesn't necessarily. I know some consider Bourne 3 a step down, but I don't.

Hmm. Maybe I need to see it a third time. The first time felt like a whole lotta familiar and predictable. The ending felt like they went the least interesting route, revealing only stuff I'd assumed from previous films. I was actually bored by Supremacy the first time, and far more the second time. But at least it was consistent with in tone, style, and character.

I think SUPREMACY is the best out of the bunch, but I'm with you on ULTIMATUM, which was a rather lazy retread that failed to bring us anywhere exciting. Not that I thought it was outright bad, mind you, but I certainly thought it the weakest of the group.

Anyway, I'd say Leone's "Man With No Name" trilogy of A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE, and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY is as strong as any trilogy out there.

Edited by Ryan H.

SDG wrote:

: Let's consider the hating on Cars as read and move on, shall we?

Steve, you're supposed to counter the Cars comments with a Bug's Life comment! That's What We Do Here! :)

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Agreed that this isn't the place to discuss Cars, but people saying that a movie is about a "B" isn't exactly hating. My favorite movie critic gave it a B+ as I recall, so the margin of disagreement doesn't seem all that large anyway. cool.gif