Sign in to follow this  
Chashab

The organic grocer

My wife and I would like to be able to buy organic. All of the time.

Needless to say, this is a higher priced way of life than going to your local big box grocer or Piggly Wiggly (what a great name for a grocery store, eh?!?).

While we've never lacked (although we've lived on some pretty slim pickins at times), we don't really feel like we can budget for all organic

My wife and I would like to be able to buy organic. All of the time.

And if I really had my druthers (what a great southern word, "druthers!), I'd buy organic and local.

And, organic itself has been under fire at times, as in this book.

I love organic foods. We even buy organic baby food. (Which according to my market researcher wife, is how most people enter the category). But I don't buy it exclusively because it is a nice to have for us. For example, when push came to shove and some bugs started eating all my basil, I used Sevin dust.

My 2nd cousin runs an organic coop and told me after the fact there are organic pesticides. So now I know.

Anyway, regarding price, have you considered joining a coop? My 2nd cousin's is here, but basically, you prepay for a whole season's worth of food, and pick it up once a week. I've priced them at around $300 to $500 for a season, and my only question is how many supplemental groceries would I need to buy?

I love organic foods. We even buy organic baby food. (Which according to my market researcher wife, is how most people enter the category). But I don't buy it exclusively because it is a nice to have for us. For example, when push came to shove and some bugs started eating all my basil, I used Sevin dust.

My 2nd cousin runs an organic coop and told me after the fact there are organic pesticides. So now I know.

Anyway, regarding price, have you considered joining a coop? My 2nd cousin's is here, but basically, you prepay for a whole season's worth of food, and pick it up once a week. I've priced them at around $300 to $500 for a season, and my only question is how many supplemental groceries would I need to buy?

I found a few months ago these newer coop type farms (I think you can find them on this website) that work the same way. We aren't part of a coop now, but my wife's family was when she was a kid. I don't really know what it takes to be a part of the nearby natural foods store, but it seems as though you have to put in hours to be a part of it. And it's not even in our ville.

Tobacco is apparently a natural pesticide, but won't work for all things. It's not good on tomotoes, for instance.