Sign in to follow this  
TexasWill

The new Mac Pros are out!

Sigh, if only I hadn't bought a 20" Intel iMac a few months ago. :(

Seriously though, I love my iMac; it's absolutely perfect for what I need. Even so, those Mac Pros are pretty sweet. I wonder if I'm due anytime soon for an upgrade at work...

To revive a dead thread:

After much deliberation my wife and I are going to go with a new MacBook (not the pro version). I have two questions:

Is it worth getting the 2.0 GHz over the 1.83 GHz? (I plan to upgrade RAM right away).

Have you or anyone you know had any problems with these machines? (I heard from a friend last night that his friend's MacBook had frozen up on him a few times

To revive a dead thread:

After much deliberation my wife and I are going to go with a new MacBook (not the pro version).

DON'T MAKE ANY DECISIONS OR PLACE ANY ORDERS UNTIL THE ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW!

The current models will likely be upgraded (at the same price point), and the versions you are looking at today will be discounted to clear the inventory.

As far an MacBooks go, I don't have any personal experience, but I know two people with them and they are very pleased. They haven't mentioned any problems with freezes and such. Occasionally Safari will hang the system for about 30 seconds if your internet connection goes dead. Apparently it consumes an enormous amount of resources to re-establish contact. While that's annoying, I expect for Apple to fix that in an OS/Safari update.

Edited by TexasWill

To revive a dead thread:

After much deliberation my wife and I are going to go with a new MacBook (not the pro version).

DON'T MAKE ANY DECISIONS OR PLACE ANY ORDERS UNTIL THE ANNOUNCEMENT TOMORROW!

OK, this was our original plan (maybe I'm just impatient :P ) but after looking at prices I find the whole "discounts after MacWorld" routine hard to believe. GRANTED, I haven't actually watched this in the past . . .

. . . and should add we're planning to buy one of the refurbished models (I have one for work now and haven't had any problems with it) anyway, and the amount of savings on the refurbished MacBooks is the same as the percentage of savings on year old PowerBooks. This leads me to believe any potential discounting is, well, not gonna happen.

And the only reason I was thinking last night of just getting one of the models now is that you can't always get the refurbished models, and we really can't afford to spend any more money than what we've planned (and my wife won't want to wait until after January).

Do you really think prices will be discounted?

They have in the past, especially if there's some radical change to the Apple line-up. Which, given Apple's love of secrecy, may or may not happen. :)

. . . and should add we're planning to buy one of the refurbished models (I have one for work now and haven't had any problems with it) anyway, and the amount of savings on the refurbished MacBooks is the same as the percentage of savings on year old PowerBooks. This leads me to believe any potential discounting is, well, not gonna happen.

Well, that's an apples and orangles comparison. There are some people who want to stick with the PowerPC architecture for a while longer, so that may be slightly inflating the old PowerBook prices.

And the only reason I was thinking last night of just getting one of the models now is that you can't always get the refurbished models, and we really can't afford to spend any more money than what we've planned (and my wife won't want to wait until after January).
That's true. But then again, tomorrow the focus of most buyers will be on the new models, so the refurbs available today will likely be available tomorrow.

They are already cutting prices on the MacBooks at ClubMac (one of the biggest online sellers of Macintoshes), so they either have the new model in the warehouse, or they feel confident that a new model is coming very soon. Those are the lowest prices I have ever seen for a new MacBook.

If I were you, I'd sit tight until tomorrow.

Edited by TexasWill

OK, I hear you *wink*

But what about the 2.0 GHz vs 1.83 GHz debate?

But what about the 2.0 GHz vs 1.83 GHz debate?

This series of benchmarks may be helpful to you.

In my opinion, the amount of memory you have is more important than a small speed difference in a processor. You can pick up some high-quality memory at crucial.com to boost the stock configuration if Apple is not price-competative.

I just checked the refurb section for the available MacBooks, and for that $100 difference, I'd take the 1.83 GHz and kick up the RAM with that extra money.

Edited by TexasWill

I just checked the refurb section for the available MacBooks, and for that $100 difference, I'd take the 1.83 GHz and kick up the RAM with that extra money.

What he said.

Processor speed is, IMHO, often hugely overblown. It's an important factor, but there are other factors that influence a computer's performance, and RAM is definitely one of them.

Thanks for the opinions. This is the way I was leaning, although my wife had wanted the better processor speed. Maybe now with your expert feedback we'll go with the less expensive machine.

Have you or anyone you know had any problems with these machines? (I heard from a friend last night that his friend's MacBook had frozen up on him a few times

Another question:

When I upgrade the RAM, how critical is it to have a matching pair (2x512 or 2x1gig and so forth)?

When I upgrade the RAM, how critical is it to have a matching pair (2x512 or 2x1gig and so forth)?

Not sure about the older processors, but if you have an Intel processor, it is recommended that you have a matching pair because of the way that the Intel processors handle memory. Your computer will still run just fine if you don't have a matching pair, but you won't get quite as much performance out of your memory.

Time to get your MacBook.

Unfortunately, no discounts... but they do have at least one of those cool BLACK MacBook refurbs available!

Time to get your MacBook.

Unfortunately, no discounts... but they do have at least one of those cool BLACK MacBook refurbs available!

I guess I'm getting the white (the black one cost more than we can spend right now). I already ordered it . . . but ended up doing it on the phone (hence the issue of color didn't come up). I called midstream in the order to see if they could install the RAM upgrade (which was cheapest through Apple's website after my own research

Haven't actually seen a black on in person.

I like them quite a bit, a nice flat understated black that is very classy, but it would be hard to justify paying more just for the color unless I wanted the faster CPU and larger hard drive.

So far, so good. I'm not overwhelmingly impressed, but neither am I disappointed. I'm more impressed with the hardware than the software. The biggest irritation is not from Apple but from websites that do not follow standards. We had a heck of a time installing Windows Media support, but that seems to be working now. It also took us an hour or two to figure out that when installers say "drag [FireFox] into Applications" it quite literally meant to drag the FireFox symbol in the installer dialog box into the Applications Folder. Seems like an unnecessary step to me--can't installers just do that for you?

Maybe you already did this, but I'd recommend installing Flip4Mac, which allows you to play Windows Media files directly in the QuickTime player.

And the dragging of the icon into the Applications folder is the installer for many Mac apps. There are some programs that have something akin to an installation wizard a la Windows, but most Mac apps are installed via the good ol' click n' drag.

Bleedin Intel processors. I understand that this makes my lovely 3yr old G5 somewhat dated and potentially useless in years to come. I bought the damn thing thinking I wouldn't have to worry about upgrading for a long time.

Or am I incorrect in my assessment?

Edited by gigi

In my experience, Macs remain solid machines even years after they become "obsolete". For example, my previous computer is an iMac that I bought around 6 years ago. It has a 500 MHz G3 processor, and yet it still runs just fine. In fact, my wife uses it as her business computer. It can run Office, Photoshop, and pretty much any other app just fine, albeit somewhat on the slow side. Granted, I've upgraded the RAM and put in a wireless card, but those are the only upgrades I've done.

I've also got a Power Computing PowerBase 180, a Mac clone that came out in 1996. It's specs are even less impressive than the iMac -- 180 MHz PowerPC 603e processor, (maybe) 64MB of RAM, etc. But I could still fire it up and surf the web, check my e-mail, etc.

All in all, I wouldn't worry about your Mac being obsolete. I've found that as long you take good care of a Mac and give it the occasional upgrade (especially in the RAM), it'll be a solid machine for years.

and next month, the newest version of creative suite, CS3, is released, specifically designed for the newest intel chipped mac - CS2 has issues working on it.

yay!

and next month, the newest version of creative suite, CS3, is released, specifically designed for the newest intel chipped mac - CS2 has issues working on it.

I've been using the CS3 beta on my Intel iMac for the past month or two and it screams. Seriously, I've never worked with a version of Photoshop that's this fast. If the beta is any indication, it'll be worth buying CS3 for the performance improvements alone.

I've been using the CS3 beta on my Intel iMac for the past month or two and it screams. Seriously, I've never worked with a version of Photoshop that's this fast. If the beta is any indication, it'll be worth buying CS3 for the performance improvements alone.

new stuff includes photobridge 2.0 and dreamweaver, camera raw with a lot of bleedover from lightroom, and more, more, more! yee-hah!

My personal fave in the new version is the "Quick selection tool." This thing would have saved me soooooooo much time last year!