Sign in to follow this  
Chadb

TV shows on DVD

The Sopranos (Season 3)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer (All seven seasons)

Angel (All five sesons)

Firefly (Its one and only season)

Frazier

Friends

Family Guy (First 3 seasons -- sold it on half.com)

Carnivale (Sold it on half.com)

When It Was a Game (HBO Baseball documentaries -- first two)

Chapelle Show (The second season has a hilarious line. Paul Mooney says, "Hollywood is ridiculous! The Last Samurai with Tom Cruise? Hollywood is crazy. First they have the Mexican starring Brad Pitt. Now the Last Samurai starring Tom Cruise. I've got a show for Hollywood: The Last Nigger On Earth starring Tom Hanks.")

Edited by Michael Todd

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Kind Sir,

Forgive me for only seeing this now. Naviogating the '70's is a timeless sort of nostalgia enterprise. I came to adulthood in this ugly decade and can remember some of the arcana.

Hey TV-Philes:

Picked up, on an impulse Season 1&2 of Dallas at a used bookstore this weekend. (I never saw it when it was on its original run.)

Talk about a weird concotion of kitsch, tame 70s sex, and wild 70s hair.  I still don't know quite what to make of any of this.  It's not quite "wink-wink-nudge-nudge-we-know-this-is-a-television-show" but it's not quite trying to be taken seriously either is it?  Some of it, like the Dallas's newest disco and Bobby's very wiiiiiiide tie in episodes 2-3 are so very, very late 70s I just don't know quite what to do.  Then the next you know, you look up, and there is Barbara Bel Geddes.

Back then, ties were somewhat linked to lapels, not like in the anything-goes '90's. Unusually wide ties were really outre' at that point, a staple of the last years of the '60's and early '70's. Skinny wasn't too far away.

It must have been hard to be a man in late 70s/early 80s where sensitive had given way to "rugged" (i.e. wool print shirts and, droopy mustaches, and guys with perms) but had not yet given in to Crockett-scruffy or Dynasty-chic.  Good thing I was only 12 or I might have had an afro and a leisure suit (which, no doubt, Dan would have dug up a picture of).

Believe it or not, droopy mustaches were part of the sensitive guy thing. Close cropped facial hair was as "sensitive" as a jarhead's buzzcut. The sensitive guy thing didn't start to be uncool 'til the Reagan administration. Then, fashion changed like a Kremlin takeover. It even took the form of "clear booze out, amber in" recommended in Esquire in '81.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Moonlighting seasons 1&2, together in a boxed set. Fluff, but what fluff! The writing still zings, the comedy still snaps, and 80s fashions are still over-the-top, and there are a few outstanding episodes:

"The Dream Sequence Always Rings Twice" includes some amazing B&W cinematography and an introduction by Orson Welles, because network suits feared viewers would be confused by B&W television in an age of color.

"'Twas the Episode Before Christmas"--a variation on "Three Godfathers", sort of. But the epilogue is the interesting bit--it would never, ever happen on a network TV show today

"In God We Strongly Suspect"--Maddie and David discuss reasons to believe.

Also, a cameo by a young Tim Robbins in "Gunfight at the So-So Corral," an episode which is well worth watching in itself.

Edited by BethR

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

Wow. I am surprised I missed this. My list is fairly extensive, but I have gotten many as gifts or at severe discounts. In my defense.

Angel seasons 1-5

Arrested Developement seasons 1-3

Band of Brothers

Buck Rogers

Buffy the Vampire Slayer seasons 1-7

Dead Like Me Season 1

Deadwood Season 1

Doctor Who Season 1 (and Random Tom Baker Episodes)

Entourage Seasons 1 & 2

Family Guy Sets 1-3

Firefly

Freaks and Geeks

Friends Seasons 1-10

Futurama Volumes 1 & 2

Greatest American Hero seasons 1 & 2

Greg the Bunny

the Hitchhiker (Old HBO Anthology)

Lost seasons 1 & 2

My Name Is Earl Season 1

The Office Series 1, 2 & Special

The Offices Season's 1 & 2

Scrubs Seasons 1-4

Seinfeld Seasons 1-7

Simpsons Seasons 3-7

Six Feet Under Seasons 1 & 2

Smallville Seasons 1-5

Sopranoes Seasons 1-5

South Park Seasons 1-3

Tales From the Crypt Seasons 1-4

That 70's Show Seasons 2-4

Undeclared

X-Files Seasons 1-7

Edited by Nezpop

"You know...not EVERY story has to be interesting." -Gibby

On order:

Joan of Arcadia, season 2

St. Elsewhere, season 1--delighted this ER/ChicagoHope/Scrubs precursor is finally being released on DVD

Beauty and the Beast, season 1--'80s fantasy romance; Linda Hamilton before Terminator, Ron Perlman before--just about everything

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

News & a trailer of a direct-to-DVD Dead Like Me movie, with Henry Ian Cusick (of Lost and the Gospel of John) as the new head Reaper.

I have an eclectic collection, that's for certain.

24: 1 - 3

American Gothic

Band of Brothers

Due South: 1

Firefly

Homicide: Life on the Streets: 1 - 3

LOST: 1 - 2

the Muppet Show: 1

Space: Above and Beyond

Tour of Duty: 1

Twin Peaks: 1 (plus Hong Kong-region free pilot episode...the audio is SO bad, it's hilarious)

I feel like I've missed a few, since my DVD rack isn't nearby.

What I own right now:

Arrested Development Seasons 1-3

Firefly

House Seasons 1 & 2

What shows I will probably own eventually when I can actually afford it:

The Office (British and American)

The IT Crowd

Pushing Daisies

MST3K

News & a trailer of a direct-to-DVD Dead Like Me movie, with Henry Ian Cusick (of Lost and the Gospel of John) as the new head Reaper.

I noticed Sarah Wynter has replaced Laura Harris as Daisy, Daisy Adair. Those two actresses played sisters in the second season of 24.