Sign in to follow this  
Plankton

Stupid Films we love

Confession time.

At the end of the summer, it's time to tell us all those stupid movies you love.

I'm sure we all have our guilty pleasures; films that simply don't follow the rules of good filmmaking, yet we love anyway.

OK, I'll go first.

The Spongebob Squarepants Movie. ::blushing::

No, you don't need to tell me that I'm an uncultured idiot and unappreciative of real art.

Now, you better confess too, after I did. Or is this just gonna rot in the archives, a testament to Plankton's lowbrow tastes? :huh:

Most of my favorite martial arts/kung fu movies would probably fall under this category. Silly and stupid and poorly made, but oh so much fun. Stuff like Chinese Super Ninjas, Revenge Of The Ninja, old Chuck Norris movies like The Octagon and Good Guys Wear Black, Black Belt Jones, and Fantasy Mission Force (the little-known gem where Jackie Chan has to fight Amazons and Nazi wrestlers to save Abraham Lincoln from the Japanese in World War II).

I have an unexplainable soft spot for Larry Cohen films: It's Alive (and the sequels), The Stuff, Q, the LarCo-scripted Phone Booth, etc. None of them are anywhere near good art, but man, they're often wicked fun.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

THANK YOU for actually responding.

I'll confess, I don't just like the Spongebob Movie, I like the whole show.

So much for my pride.

Another one:

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I'm not sure if this really counts though, since it's obviously MEANT to be stupid. Or ... is it? :unsure:

Edited by Plankton

Another one:

The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra

I'm not sure if this really counts though, since it's obviously MEANT to be stupid. Or ... is it? :unsure:

Would that also discount Snakes On A Plane?

I would, as I mentioned before, put Road House in this category. I love that film.

Last night I was up around 2am and got sucked into a threesome of stupid films, but the one that kept my attention the most (i.e. I watched the other two films during its commercials) was Terror of Mechagodzilla. And, it is here that I must confess, I have a soft spot in my heart for all of those wonderfully awful Japanese Godzilla movies. Terror was uncommonly good, with comparatively good acting and dialog that wasn't always cringe-worthy. Yes, it does feature a dastardly plot by black-hole dwelling aliens and lots of maniacal laughter, but, hey, Godzilla rocks.

Edited by tctruffin

Last night I was up around 2am and got sucked into a threesome of stupid films, but the one that kept my attention the most (i.e. I watched the other two films during its commercials) was Terror of Mechagodzilla. And, it is here that I must confess, I have a soft spot in my heart for all of those wonderfully awful Japanese Godzilla movies. Terror was uncommonly good, with comparatively good acting and dialog that wasn't always cringe-worthy. Yes, it does feature a dastardly plot by black-hole dwelling aliens and lots of maniacal laughter, but, hey, Godzilla rocks.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for kaiju films. I haven't seen Terror of Mechagodzilla, but many a Godzilla movie has left me grinning from ear to ear. Others have left me writhing in pain, but that's for another thread (Godzilla: Final Wars, I'm looking in your general direction).

I would say Supercop with Jackie Chan fits this category for me.

Slap Shot with Paul Newman and the Hanson brothers!

How could I have forgotten about Truck Turner?!?

Return to Me is a personal favorite of mine. It isn't so much stupid as it is cheesy. I recently saw Team America: World Police and loved it. There are an unfortunately large amount of stupid movies I like particularly in the teen film genre. Sometimes it makes me doubt my intelligence.

OK--

Home Alone 2: Lost in New York is easily one of my favorite films, ever.

Ok, now you're just making stuff up!

I watch Top Secret at least once a year and every time it ends I have a grin that lasts for hours.

It freaks out my wife.

Edited by MichaelRay

I beat you all:

Spaceballs

Top that one.

Spaceballs is a stupid film?!? :blink:

I've only seen it once, but Eraser had me grinning for days after I saw it. That's the one where Arnold Schwarzenegger jumps out of an airplane without a parachute, reaches for the parachute that has already been tossed out ahead of him, puts it on, then fires his gun through the cockpit of the plane before it can ram him in the air. Fun stuff!

One word, folks: Gymkata!!!

I like Sky High.

It's stupid. Any film that advertises on pizza boxes has to be stupid.

Not stupid--cheesy! :P