Sign in to follow this  

Sarah Connor Chronicles

"Unknown cyborg" -- interesting.

Indeed. "Please remain calm." Hee!

Enrique was a character from T2, right?

Didn't T3 also establish that Sarah died of cancer? It was hilarious when "Chet" showed up for his head. But how could the endoskeleton's head go through the time portal, if it has to be encased in flesh to go through? Maybe that all changed when Sarah changed the future? But if so, the whole concept of a Terminator winds up fairly meaningless. Ah, well. I'm not going to be worked up about continuity here - it's not Trek.

Cameron evidently spent a LOT of time with John in the future.

The 9/11 stuff was interesting, too.

My inner Geek alarm went off --

Does it bug anyone else that, in the opening narration, it describes SkyNet as a computer system "programmed to destroy the world" when it clearly is not. That's what it basically ended up doing, but's that not what it was programmed to do.

Did the writer even try and watch T-2? It's a defense network that became sentient and turned on the creators. Big difference.

Even so, think about it, wouldn't programming something to "destroy the world" be slightly counter-productive. Who would stand to benefit?

(Also, it would have been nice if they had at least attemted to show how a headless Terminator body managed to navigate its way back its head. Homing signal? Ok - but how did it see? Back-up eyes in its toes? I'm just saying...)

Okay, I'll put the Geek back in its cage ...

I haven't watched any of the broadcast episodes yet, but FWIW, link to the post I made earlier in this thread after watching the BitTorrented version of the pilot episode back in August. I would LOVE to see the second episode, but I don't think it's being broadcast in Canada for another few days -- and I don't get TV anyway.

CrimsonLine wrote:

: In the original Terminator movie, didn't Reese say that the resistance didn't really understand the time travel machine that they found? If so, how could they send someone back to build one?

For me, the bigger question is, "Given that you cannot bring any OBJECTS back in time with you, how would a mere human come back in time and be able to build a time machine with nothing at his or her disposal besides the available 20th-century resources and a mere memory of the blueprints? Keeping in mind, of course, that this person would have to have time to work his or her way into society deeply enough that they could embed all this stuff inside a major social institution like a bank." But yes, the problem runs even deeper once we take into account that the humans didn't even build the time machine in the first place -- the "blueprints" were Skynet's, all Skynet's.

The best answer, I suppose, is that a TERMINATOR came back in time and built the time machine. But it would obviously have to be a very PERSONABLE Terminator. Like, um, Cameron.

: . . . "come with me if you want to live" was said by Kyle Reese, no?

And by Arnold, in T2.

: Is she a human brain in a Terminator chassis?

Oh! I like.

Alan Thomas wrote:

: And *why* did he have to put his gun inside his leg?? The whole point of even having skin is to appear human, not to conceal weapons. (For that matter, why don't terminators have laser weapons or at least futuristic weapons built in? We clearly see laser weapons in some of the future scenes in the movies...)

This was exactly my complaint when I wrote the earlier comments back in August. The first Terminator includes a scene where Arnold tries to "buy" a plasma-powered something-or-other at the gun store, and the guy at the counter says, "Hey, just what you see here, pal," or something like that. IF the Terminators were going to start planting weapons within their bodies, then why on earth would they settle for one of the more OUTDATED weapons?

I also didn't care for the "Class dismissed" line. The whole point of a Terminator is that it is RELENTLESS in pursuing its prey, and completely undistracted and undeterred by its environment. It made no sense AT ALL, after John Connor fled the room, for the Terminator that is supposed to be PURSUING him to turn around and look at a bunch of innocent bystanders and quip a one-liner like that. Dude, John Connor is GETTING AWAY! GO AFTER HIM!!

: The only reason a terminator should let someone live is if it can make use or her, and even then its doubtful. Think back to the trail of blood left in T2. Many of his victims would have been useful, but he killed them anyways (of course, he could perfectly mimic them physically and vocally).

In fact, back when T2 came out, people complained about the scene in which the T-1000 spiked Sarah against a wall and said "Call to John." Uh, dude, you could just kill Sarah right then and there and MIMIC her while calling out to John, no? So this problem is older than the TV series.

Of course, I don't like T2 all that much anyway, so anything that follows it gets a more lenient evaluation from me anyway. The only alternative would be not to watch any of the follow-ups at all.

Phantom_of_the_Forum wrote:

: Does it bug anyone else that, in the opening narration, it describes SkyNet as a computer system "programmed to destroy the world" when it clearly is not. That's what it basically ended up doing, but's that not what it was programmed to do.

: Did the writer even try and watch T-2? It's a defense network that became sentient and turned on the creators. Big difference.

Very interesting point. Can't recall if the version I watched had that narration, but yeah, that IS a big difference. We're talking Colossus: The Forbin Project here, not Dr. Strangelove.

: (Also, it would have been nice if they had at least attemted to show how a headless Terminator body managed to navigate its way back its head. Homing signal? Ok - but how did it see? Back-up eyes in its toes? I'm just saying...)

Uh ... oh, you must be talking about the SECOND episode. Sigh.

Even the fact that the T-1000 was able to go back in the time machine is weird to me. If I'm not mistaken, the T-1000 (played by Robert Patrick) was entirely made up of the liquid metal stuff. There was nothing organic about him. So already in T2, they are violating that rule about Terminator time travel...

Uh ... oh, you must be talking about the SECOND episode. Sigh.

Sorry, but it was mentioned in the post from CrimsonLine just above it. :)

Also, it really isn't a spoiler because it's just a sub-plot for future episodes. It's a mere 30 seconds at most, total, in the second episode.

CrimsonLine wrote:

: Even the fact that the T-1000 was able to go back in the time machine is weird to me. If I'm not mistaken, the T-1000 (played by Robert Patrick) was entirely made up of the liquid metal stuff. There was nothing organic about him. So already in T2, they are violating that rule about Terminator time travel...

Well, not necessarily. We don't SEE him come back in time. In fact, I think if we HAD, we might have discovered that he was covered in some kind of organic material, but they needed to maintain the illusion that the T-1000 was the good guy, so they hid all that from us. (I wonder how the novelization dealt with this.)

The bigger problem might be the T-X from the third movie. We SEE her come back in time, and I can't recall if she goes straight into liquid-metal mode or if we see her shed any sort of organic exterior first.

Phantom_of_the_Forum wrote:

: Also, it really isn't a spoiler . . .

Oh, I wasn't sighing because it was a spoiler. Just because it hasn't been broadcast in Canada yet -- and even if it had, I probably wouldn't have been able to see it.

Gosh, I hope somebody has BitTorrented these episodes. (I haven't checked yet.)

'Terminator' crushes competition

Fox's Sunday debut of "Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles" scored the best opening-night demo ratings of any new show in three years, while NBC's not-so-lustrous Golden Globes special barely registered with auds.

Variety, January 14

I've seen two of the Terminator movies...can't recall seeing "Rise of the Machines," so if I did see it, it didn't make much of an impression. In other words, I'm not a Terminator geek. That said, I thought the first two episodes of SCC were pretty good fun, if a bit heavy on explosions.

But, from the pilot, does anyone else think the "good" terminator was just a bit too friendly/human when she introduced herself to John? (Of course, in this episode, she says "please", which is out of character, so to speak.)

I had no problem with this aspect of "Cameron"--maybe because I'd seen previews?--I just assumed she was something new, a cyborg who could mimic human behavior for camouflage, as necessary. Sometimes comically--"Please remain calm" was my favorite moment from ep. 2.

Back to the new episode: Although, it's very cool that there are multiple people/terminators sent back from the future on each side. THAT is a totally new dynamic that could change the traditional dynamics and possible make a serial show work. Of course, it remains to be seen how many will survive.

"Unknown cyborg" -- interesting.

Yes. I'm just going along with the ride for now. But fewer explosions, please. Thanks!

Jason Panella wrote:

: iTunes currently has the pilot episode free for download.

But probably not in Canada. In any case, I BitTorrented the first two episodes last night. One day maybe I'll compare-and-contrast the broadcast version of the first episode with the version that I saw back in August, but there were only a few bits in the broadcast version that made me think, "Wait a minute, did I see this before?" (I haven't watched the second episode yet.) One bit from the first episode that did stand out this time was John's statement to Cameron that she is different from the other Terminators he has seen so far. So the DIFFERENCE is certainly acknowledged up-front. I imagine they'll tease this out over the next four years.

But probably not in Canada.

Ah, I always forget about the U.S./Canada wackiness. BitTorrent works too :)

I'm probably going to watch this tonight or tomorrow, but from the teasers I've seen (and the feedback here) I'm pretty excited.

This is an intense show.

Yeeps!

'Sarah Connor' gets second season

Fox has greenlit a second season of the franchise series, picking up 13 episodes for next season. Move wasn't a surprise; Fox has been developing potential companion series to the sci-fi hour-long, and in meetings with advertisers have discussed several potential scheduling scenarios that include the show.

Pickup was also a no-brainer, as "Sarah Connor" reps one of the year's most successful frosh entries - averaging a 4.4 rating and 10 share among adults 18-49, as well as 10.5 million viewers overall.

Variety, April 21

Fox gives 'Terminator' second season

The series could also get an early back-nine order, Reilly said. Next May, Warner Bros. will release the fourth "Terminator" film, which could make for some ideal corporate synergy should the TV series survive the fall. Reilly said he's already spoken to the film's direct McG about cross-promotional possibilities.

Hollywood Reporter, April 21

Comic-Con: A bombshell from the 'Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles' panel

In season 2, say the producers, the universe has been expanded, and the core group we met last spring will be rubbing shoulders with the real world. We'll see the Connor family crumble, and what that stress does to a mom

This series just got picked up for the entire season.

The pickup makes "Terminator" the first 13-episode sophomore series this fall to receive a full season order. Most second-year shows have struggled mightily in the ratings recently, particularly those that were disrupted by the writers strike. Having concluded its first season in March, "Terminator" was off the air for less time than many other returning shows.

Story here,

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

I am enjoying this series, even though it is uneven in quality and characterization.

Funny you should say that; I just started watching season two a few nights ago. I'm up to episode six or seven now.

There are some odd plot holes (would MINORS, rather than their parents, be listed in a phone book?) and continuity issues and suchlike (one episode features John Connor's birthday and establishes that it takes place in November, in contradiction to the second movie which placed it in February; and then one of the NEXT episodes shows a maternity ward in which the newborn babies are clearly labelled as having been born in an entirely different month, and clearly that much time could not have passed between the two episodes, if only because a character who was Very Pregnant in the previous episode is still Very Pregnant in the next one).

But I'm really liking the characterizations, and the way the series plays with artificial-intelligence and ghost-in-the-machine issues. (Cameron's back-story is certainly more interesting than I would have anticipated.) I am also intrigued by the religious stuff, though I haven't seen enough of the second season yet to say where any of that is going.

And I really like the fact that a basically likable character -- a basically innocent bystander -- was killed off a few episodes into the season. One of my big complaints about T2 has always been that the T-1000 never killed anyone we really cared about, whereas, in the first movie, Arnold killed Sarah's roommate and her roommate's boyfriend, as well as the basically friendly cops at the precinct, and made us FEEL the deaths of at least some of those innocent bystanders. So it's good to see this series taking after the first movie more than the second, in that regard.

I think the show has been EXCELLENT this season, perhaps some of the best Sci-Fi on TV right now. The death of

Derek Reese

was unlike anything I've seen on TV. A major character, killed off almost incidentally, without fanfare, without warning, near the beginning of an episode? It was like ANYTHING could happen. When Sarah Connor was later

resisting arrest

, it even had me thinking SHE might die, even though the show is named after her!

Brace Yourselves: 'Terminator's' Skynet Is Becoming Self-Aware

Tuesday night, if the events depicted in Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chonicles are to be believed, is the night that Skynet, the giant computer network, gains consciousness.

In fact, that moment is supposed to take place at precisely 8:11 p.m. April 19, 2011. And, brace yourselves, two days from now, on Thursday, April 21, Skynet, and its robotic armies, are supposed to begin their assault on humanity.

But don't worry. That's just one timeline in Terminator lore, one of which was developed for the Fox TV series. Actually, in the original 1984 Terminator movie, Skynet was originally initiated by Cyberdyne Systems on Aug. 4, 1997, and first strikes back 25 days later on Judgment Day, Aug. 29, 1997.

Time shifted again, though, in the sequel Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, with Judgment Day postponed until July 24, 2004.

And now in 2011, the end of the world as we know is scheduled to begin all over again. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, April 19