Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Auralia's Colors

All copy editors are not alike, you know. Some of us are capable of improving copy.

Sure. And to be fair, editors have been known to improve my writing. But they've also mangled my writing. Guess which occasions I tend to remember?

mrmando wrote:

: All copy editors are not alike, you know. Some of us are capable of improving copy.

Which is why I make a point of THANKING my editors when I think they have improved my stuff. I figure this gives my complaints more credibility, if and when they come. (And speaking as a sometimes editor myself, I know that I always liked it when, say, a writer at the student newspaper thanked me for improving their work -- or for at least not screwing it up. :) So the least I can do is thank my own editors, too.)

I think a thread-split is in order: "Good/Bad Copyediting"

I think a thread-split is in order: "Good/Bad Copyediting"

Yes, please. Apologies for the hijacking.

I read the sample chapter in the same place I read everything else: in my basement at my computer, but it served to whet my appetite for the book. Sure, I had questions about all the terms and the world they describe, but I figure we're just setting the stage and the rest of the book will fill in the details.

I know most of you are too far away for this...

But I just wanted you to know that A&Fers are ESPECIALLY invited to BOTH of the Auralia's Colors release parties:

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 15

7:00 P.M.

THE NEXT CHAPTER bookstore

721 South First Street

P.O. Box 574

La Conner, WA 98257

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 22

6:30 P.M.

THIRD PLACE BOOKS

Lake Forest Park Towne Centre

17171 Bothell Way NE

Lake Forest Park, WA 98155

Tel: 206-366-3333

I would also greatly appreciate your prayers in the coming 90 days, as that is the most crucial time for a book. That's when the word-of-mouth spreads. That's when magazines and websites pick up the most buzz. That's when a book lives or dies.

I'd especially appreciate it if you would pray about a particular relationship I've been developing during the process of promoting the book. There are some exciting things afoot, and I can't say more at this time, but if you would ask God to open up some new opportunities in publicizing this book, I would appreciate it. If certain individuals end up impressed by what they read, it could take the book to a whole new level, and that would be rather exhilarating.

It's 4 p.m. here, and I haven't had a moment yet to absorb the fact that today marks the release of my first novel.

Yep... today fulfills a lifelong dream, and I'm sitting here fretting about the editing in a document for Student Financial Services. It's a busy day in the office here at SPU, I spent my lunch break shopping for office supplies, and the day's almost over. Feels pretty much like any other day.

So, I figure I'd better say something, since the next few days are going to be crucial for the success:

If you would, please call your local Borders or Barnes and Noble and just ask them if they have the book in stock.

If they don't know anything about it, ask them to order it for their store. If you plan to buy it, I'd encourage you to place your orders there. That way the booksellers know that people are interested. That will be a big help. I've heard that a lot of Borders won't even stock a book unless they see that it's selling elsewhere, unless they get a special request.

Anyway, to those who pick up a copy... I hope you enjoy it. It was the best I could do, given the available time and resources, and I'm working hard to make the sequel even better.

I'd love to hear from you when you finish it.

And I still have review copies available for anyone interested in reviewing it for a website or magazine.

Enjoy.

auralia-and-potter.jpg

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

CONGRATULATIONS, JEFFREY!

I pre-ordered from Amazon; hopefully I'll get it tomorrow (have to check the PO box).

I did too.

Mine is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to it.

One of these days I'll need to have it autographed. :D

Ditto last two posts. Looking for my copy in the next couple days, can't wait!

I'll be making an appearance at the La Conner event. I might even make it to both, but I'll have to see how beginning of term schedule goes.

Wow, JoelC. It will be so meaningful to me to have you there in La Conner. Thanks for setting that in your sights.

Thanks, Will. You betcha... but only if you'll autograph those Leslie Phillips CDs you got for me.

And thanks, Alan, for spelling my name right. I've already encountered more than one review of a new book by Jeffery Overstreet.

Thanks to everybody who is ordering this through bookstores. So far, most places seem to be stocking it in the general Sci-Fi/Fantasy section, which is a huge relief. I didn't want it to get stuck in, well, you know where.

(Yes, that's right. "New Age.")

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Called my local Borders Express (I used to be a manager there); they got five copies in, but the computer said to put them in...well, that section. They moved them to Fantasy at my request. :)

Thanks, Jason! I appreciate that.

One Powells Books put them in THAT section, while the other Powells put them in the general Fantasy section. I've put in a call.

And thank you too, SDG. (I haven't forgotten what you sent me.)

I wish I was still on the West Coast so I could try to make it to one of your events Jeffrey! Congrats. I'm going to give a call to my favourite local book merchant to see if they have it here in Canada yet (or can order it).

EDIT: They DO have it! And it's in the Children's Fantasy section. I do love McNally Robinson.

Edited by Anders

Thanks, Anders. Wish I could have managed the release of an Auralia's Colours, for Brits and Canadians.

: Auralia's Colours

lol. I never know what to do when using titles with words which the Americans spell incorrectly differently. Color of the Cross, Savior on the Silver screen etc.

Matt

Greg,

No, I haven't. Would you send me her contact information? I'll put one in the mail today. Thanks.

I'm halfway through the book -- wanted to bring it to work with me this morning! So far it is an excellent read, and I look forward to see where it is going!

I'll do what I can to include the book in our next Media page ;0)

Thanks, Jenny. I appreciate that.

I just heard back from an editor on the sequel, with lots of good ideas for work on the pacing and character development. Looks like I have six weeks of rigorous revisions ahead of me.

We just got ours from amazon.com the other day. I haven't gotten to start it yet, because my wife got to it first. So I had to start "Through a Screen Darkly" instead...my wife and I found ourselves eating supper and reading Jeffrey Overstreet books together. :D

I've only made it through the intro and the first few pages of ch. 1 so far, but I'm very pleased with what I've read. Our experiences sounds very similar in that I grew up with a conservative understanding of the arts, and I've had to grow out of that. You've done a great job expressing that so far, and now I've got a book I can point other people to. I'm looking forward to the rest of it!

And I'm looking forward to AC as soon as my wife finishes it...