Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Atlas Shrugged

158 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Story here.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Posted · Report post

"I was fascinated by Rand's book. It was original and provocative," Wallace told Daily Variety. . . .

You all are going to be sick of me, I fear, by the time this movie gets released but, "original and provacative" are the exact opposite of how I would describe the book: uninspired and dull. No, my dislike runs much deeper than that. Maybe, decay and filth.

I'm going to have to dig my copy out so I can make some actuall rebutals instead of spewing pure disgust towards this book (soon to be film)...

Posted · Report post

Atlas Shrugged is one of my favourite books ... I mean except for the part John Galt lapses into an hour-long speech on Objectivism, during which Rand forgets she is writing for the character, and just gives us a dump of her own thoughts.

Still, as much as I love the book, Angelina Jolie is approximately the worst person I can think of to play the role of Dagney Taggart. 8O

Posted · Report post

Darrel, you aren't the only one with that impression (paging Darren Hughes). I would personally stick with your "uninspired and dull" description because it segues nicely into Arendt's whole "banality of evil" thing. I do have to admit my fascination for Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but please feel free to criticize Rand as much as you deem necessary.

This Jolie announcement is incredibly ironic, since IIRC, DH actually chortled once on this board at the irony of Bradd Pitt starring in an Ayn Rand adaptation. Jolie is fitting for the role.

I would personally stick with your "uninspired and dull" description because it segues nicely into Arendt's whole "banality of evil" thing. I do have to admit my fascination for Howard Roark in The Fountainhead, but please feel free to criticize Rand as much as you deem necessary.

I don't have much knowledge of Arendt's "banality of evil" concept... Something to research. I spent last evening reading about Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged, and her philosophy of Objectivism on Wikipedia. Oddly enough, I found that I agree with her proposition that "that which exists does not exist because one thinks it exists; it simply exists. Moreover, the world is as it is irrespective of the opinion of how it is;" but then I sharply veer away from the assertion that "beliefs about what is true or false about reality are just that — beliefs," although I can understand at this point in my life why one might believe such a thing.

The entry on Atlas Shrugged did not recall for me any of the vehement objections it raised in my mind while I was reading it, except for the summary of John Galt's speech, which I never even got to (Atlas Shrugged is the only book I have willfully decided not to finish).

I've actually forgotten much of why I found the novel so appalling (which itself I find interesting and may support this idea of the banality of evil). It is the only book I have ever read that made me emotionally angry. Yet I remember specifically why I so love Les Miserables and The Lord of the Rings (specifically, The Return of the King) which are two books that made me emotionally full of joy.

I think my primary objection was that I had never before read an author so full of contempt for what I call the "magical" (I use the word "magical" to describe the idea of something unexplainable, something beyond the scope of human perception or interaction in relatively the same manner which C.S. Lewis proposed the idea that a myth can be true). She did not seem to merely believe that magic does not exist in the world, but seemed voraciously opposed to the mere thought of it.

I remember reading Bertrand Russell's Why I am Not a Christian and finding it positively quaint after making it halfway through Atlas Shrugged.

I'm sorry I'm straying off the topic of the film itself here, but I find the origin of the the film itself to be so bankrupt of any redeeming value I must question the source itself before even considering the filmed version. I am more shocked and outraged by the announcment of this film than I am (or was) by The Da Vinci Code, The Last Temptation of Christ (although, the more Scorsese I see, recently Mean Streets and Raging Bull, the more repulsed I am by his work), and the coming Philip Pullman film(s) combined.

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong

Posted · Report post

Ayn Rand No Longer Has Script Approval

Mr. Ruddy's exit opened the door to the Baldwins, who optioned the rights to "Atlas Shrugged" from Mr. Aglialoro while running the billionaire Phil Anschutz's Crusader Entertainment. (Mr. Baldwin, oddly enough, had once been a ticket manager for Mr. Snider's Flyers.) James V. Hart, who had written "Contact," developed a draft of the first installment of a three-movie series, but the Baldwins could land neither stars nor financing.

There was also some thought that Mr. Anschutz, whose movies are often designed to accommodate a religiously devout audience, may have lost enthusiasm for the project when he learned that Rand was an outspoken atheist, but an Anschutz spokesman called this a misunderstanding. In any case, when the Baldwins left Crusader in 2004 to set up their own production company, they took the rights to "Atlas Shrugged" with them

Last spring in a twist that might have amused Rand and Mr. Anschutz, the latest deal for an "Atlas Shrugged" film project had its inception during Mass at the Church of the Good Shepherd, in Beverly Hills.

Mr. Baldwin said that a fellow parishioner, Michael Burns -- the vice chairman of Lions Gate -- approached Mr. Baldwin and his wife "right under the nose of the priest," whispering to them about the rights to Rand

Posted · Report post

A Brave Heart for Atlas Shrugged

Randall Wallace's script for the movie Atlas Shrugged is 129 pages long, according to an interview in Script magazine. That seems pretty short for such a massive novel. . . . Wallace says he has finished the screenplay, and it's been "greenlit" by the studio. Angelina Jolie has been signed to play Dagny Taggart, and the movie may be in theaters next summer. . . .

David Boaz, Cato @ Liberty, May 23

Posted · Report post

Vadim Perelman to direct 'Atlas'

Perelman will work from a draft of the script penned by "Braveheart" scribe Randall Wallace, who managed to boil down the Rand manifesto of 1,100-plus pages into a 127-page script. The drama revolves around what happens when great industrialists and thinkers go on strike and the world grinds to a halt.

Wallace will remain involved, and in a recent meeting with Perelman, the pair traded Russian dialogue. Perelman was born in Kiev, while Wallace has picked up the language researching his Catherine the Great pic "The Mercenary"; Rand was born in Russia. Perelman has brought his own take that will be incorporated into Wallace's script.

Variety, September 4

Vadim Perelman to direct 'Atlas'

Perelman will work from a draft of the script penned by "Braveheart" scribe Randall Wallace, who managed to boil down the Rand manifesto of 1,100-plus pages into a 127-page script.

127 pages? Wow! John Galt's speech alone covers nearly 50 pages in the volume I own.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

Posted · Report post

EXCL: Atlas Shrugged Moves Forward

Perelman told us that he's finished with the script and just doing a polish on his rewrites but that Lionsgate has told him they want to move forward and start preparing the film in the fall to shoot in December, dependent on the script being in the right place by then.

ComingSoon.net, April 11

Posted · Report post

Cinematical:

CHUD wrote up this piece about Angelina Jolie supposedly telling MTV that Perelman was never signed to direct at all -- something Perelman finds interesting, since he had a signed contract that attached him, and Lionsgate (not Perelman, as CHUD asserts, though Perelman has done interviews about his attachment to the project) had put out many press releases announcing him as the director. Perelman was attached, and I can say with as much certainty as one can possibly have about a situation like this that the decision to step down was on Perelman's side.

Posted · Report post

Ayn Rand's novels make Eli Roth's movies look like paragons of morality. I agree with an earlier poster; I can't bother to get my blood up over something like "The Last Temptation of Christ" but it seriously bothers me that anyone finds that "Atlas Shrugged" had any redeeming value, as entertainment or otherwise.

Posted · Report post

As an aspiring novelist, Ayn Rand has inspired me to not write like Ayn Rand.

Posted · Report post

'Atlas' may no longer be shrugging

The 37-year effort to bring "Atlas Shrugged" to the screen is finally gaining momentum.

Sort of.

Oscar winner Charlize Theron has been meeting during the past several months with Lionsgate and producers Howard and Karen Baldwin, who are developing the project's latest iteration, about starring as main character Dagny Taggart.

Theron has been eager to play the role but has been concerned that a feature would lose many of the nuances of the monster-sized novel. So the Rand adaptation would, under a plan she and producers discussed, be turned into a miniseries for Epix, the pay-cable network Lionsgate is forming with MGM and Viacom/Paramount.

The project, according to this plan, would be to make the mini one of the fledgling network

Posted · Report post

You think I could leverage my (let me check...) 6 shares of Lionsgate stocks I own to kill this project? Have I mentioned how much I loathe Atlas Shrugged? :P

Posted · Report post

Theron has been eager to play the role but has been concerned that a feature would lose many of the nuances of the monster-sized novel.

I don't think that "nuance" is a word many would associate with Atlas Shrugged.

Posted · Report post

While everyone always gushes into a lovefest about this piece of bilge, I always thought Whittaker Chambers described it best -

I find it a remarkably silly book. It is certainly a bumptious one. Its story is preposterous ...

Yet from the impromptu and surprisingly gymnastic matings of the heroine and three of the heroes, no children

Posted · Report post

So it's gotta be a great film then, right? Also correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the climax in this book a 200 page speech that the enlightened hero gives to everyone on the radio? Which fixes everyone, of course.

All they have to do is cast Nick Cage and John Travolta in leads and it could become a "so bad it's entertaining" film/mini-series.

Posted · Report post

'Atlas Shrugged' Rights Holder Sets June Production Start Whether Or Not Stars Align

John Aglialoro, the entrepreneur who 17 years ago paid $1 million to option the book rights, is tired of the futility and is taking matters into his own hands. He’s announced that he is financing a June 11 production start in Los Angeles for the first of what he said will be four films made from the book.

Aglialoro, who had a hand in writing the script by Brian O’Tool, is taking on this ambitious plan with an unproven director, and is weeks away from production without stars to play Dagny Taggart, Hank Rearden, John Galt and the other roles. He's moving forward despite the conventional wisdom that without stars, it could ultimately be the audience that shrugged. . . .

Polk said that the idea of cutting through the bureaucracy and just getting started is consistent with the book's themes of capitalism and taking entrepreneurial risk. The story centers around Taggart, a railroad executive trying to keep her business on a growth track despite her feeling that innovators in hers and other industries have stopped innovating, which is causing society to crumble.

Deadline.com, May 26

Posted · Report post

I've never read Atlas Shrugged, so I couldn't really comment on that -- But, I actually think Angelina Jolie might make a good Dominique Francon.

Posted · Report post

'Atlas Shrugged' Rights Holder Sets June Production Start Whether Or Not Stars Align

John Aglialoro, the entrepreneur who 17 years ago paid $1 million to option the book rights, is tired of the futility and is taking matters into his own hands. He’s announced that he is financing a June 11 production start

June 11???? Two-and-a-half weeks from now June 11????

They planning to wrap up production on June 12 by any chance?

If this is about protecting a $1M investment in rights, it looks more like throwing good money after bad.

They could just do it all with computers - sort of Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow meets self-righteous objectivist Superman, except with less violence and more heavy, ponderous soliloquies ... all in 3D. Wouldn't take too long to film.

Edited by Persiflage

Cameras role on 'Atlas'

The long-brewing feature version of author Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged" has begun shooting in Los Angeles as a $5 million indie produced by John Aglialoro and Harmon Kaslow.

Cameras began rolling over the weekend on a five-week shoot for "Atlas Shrugged Part One" with Paul Johansson directing from Brian Patrick O'Toole's script. Aglialoro would have lost the feature rights if the film wasn't in production by Saturday.

A spokesman for Aglialoro -- the CEO of exercise equipment producer Cybex -- said there will be at least one more "Atlas Shrugged" shot after the current film's completed. Rand's massive novel is divided into three parts, each consisting of 10 chapters. . . .

Johansson ("One Tree Hill") portrays Galt. The lead role of railroad executive Dagny Taggart has gone to Taylor Schilling ("Mercy) and the part of Henry Reardon is being played by Grant Bowler ("Ugly Betty").

Michael Lerner ("A Serious Man") portrays lobbyist Wesley Mouch and director Nick Cassavetes has signed on for the Richard McNamara role. Other key cast include Matthew Marsdan as James Taggart and Graham Beckel as Ellis Wyatt. . . .

Variety, June 14

'Atlas Shrugged' Director Stephen Polk Bummed About Being Replaced: Lawsuit?

When I last checked on the project to turn Ayn Rand’s mammoth Atlas Shrugged into a feature film, Stephen Polk was excitedly discussing how he would realize a dream by coming out of nowhere to direct the film on June 11th. Well, the movie made its start date, but Polk is on the outside looking in. It's One Tree Hill star Paul Johansson directing and starring among a low-wattage cast, considering that Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron each seriously flirted with playing protagonist Dagny Taggart. (Now that role will be played by Taylor Schilling.)

Polk tells me he was devastated to be replaced just two weeks before production started, and even more so when a Variety announcement today omitted him completely, even as a producer. Polk isn't shrugging this off. He has hired an attorney and predicts litigation in the near future. . . .

Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, June 14

Edited by Peter T Chattaway