Sign in to follow this  
BethR

Heroes

And Heroes limps to a finish, as NBC cancels it. What started as a fantastic show four years ago went very, very wrong within 2 years and kept getting worse.

It's official. NBC has cancelled "Heroes."

The network seriously mulled bringing back "Heroes" for a shortened final season to wrap up the serialized show.

In the end, given the fairly high cost of the drama, the show's consistently declining ratings and the number of new hour-longs coming to NBC next season, the network decided the UMS-produced series wasn't worth an additional season. Sources say the network is still leaving the door open to conclude the show with a special or movie.

The show has long had a rocky relationship with its fans. Out of the gate, "Heroes" was a big hit for the network -- an ethnically diverse big-concept ensemble that performed well overseas. It was NBC's "Lost."

But the show's writers struggled to keep the show's twisting narrative on track. Characters were killed off and resurrected with regularity. Narrative threads were started, then abandoned. Unlike "Lost," there didn't seem to be series-long central questions driving the show that needed to be resolved with a final season.

http://livefeed.hollywoodreporter.com/2010/05/nbc-cancels-heroes.html#more

Edited by Clint M

There had been talk of Tim Kring continuing Heroes via a TV movie, but looks like that isn't going to happen.

Tim Kring speculates on why Heroes declined so badly

It’s hard to sustain something that’s a zeitgeist phenomenon. Things burn bright and short these days. We did an awful lot of episodes – 24 a season – which is difficult to do. A little less of it might have gone a longer way. People talked about the first season because it was new. Once the initial premise has been explored and the characters come to terms with what’s happening to them, once those questions have been answered, the questions that are asked after that are less interesting.

And later,

The last series of Lost was panned and FlashForward didn’t last long… There are so many different things to watch that to invest in a show that asks a million questions and doesn’t deliver many answers for an extended period of time is a lot to ask for. A zombie series called The Walking Dead just launched here, which was a huge success because it was good quality – but also because it was only six episodes long. People knew it wasn’t a huge time commitment. It gave it more of a sense of an event rather than a series that would go on for years and years.

...and everyone who's ever enjoyed a good British television series goes "Well, duh!"

(I honestly hope Kring is on to something here, since shorter seasons do seem to inspire more concentrated/sharper storytelling. Misfits isn't BBC, but one could argue that it does its Heroes-meets-Skins thing far, far better than Heroes did its Heroes thing. I know I couldn't even make it through the first series of the American show, but I'll gladly watch more Misfits. Part of that's my aversion to portentous "Destiny" talk, but I do think the shorter seasons help writers--or the single writer, in the case of the British show--hone in on what's essential).

Edited by NBooth

...and everyone who's ever enjoyed a good British television series goes "Well, duh!"

Amen. I've been saying this for years.

I feel ike cable has found a pretty happy medium with the 12-13 episode season. It's enough to feel like you can fill a lot of story (I have found some British shows felt rushed at six episodes) and yet avoids too much filler as 24 episode seasons are prone to do.

Tim Kring speculates on why Heroes declined so badly

The last series of Lost was panned and FlashForward didn’t last long… There are so many different things to watch that to invest in a show that asks a million questions and doesn’t deliver many answers for an extended period of time is a lot to ask for. A zombie series called The Walking Dead just launched here, which was a huge success because it was good quality – but also because it was only six episodes long. People knew it wasn’t a huge time commitment. It gave it more of a sense of an event rather than a series that would go on for years and years.

And it looks like he's getting his wish.

Arrested Development, 24, Heroes...but I want Firefly. sad.png

I was on the Fox lot last week for Son of God press day and saw that they had "Bring back Firefly" t-shirts in the commisary.  I was tempted.

Can anyone confirm everything after season 2 was abysmal? I liked season 1 a lot, but the second was enough of a letdown that I didn't stick with it after that.

It felt like it totally fell apart after season one. They had all these characters to work with, but it felt like a mess with all the time jumps...trips to the future and past are tough to do well. Especially the "dystopian future" stuff. Personally, I wish Sylar would have been gone for a couple seasons. The first season had comic book tropes, but they did a good job of making those tropes benefit the story, where as, the later seasons, those tropes were used poorly. I think it could have been nice to follow mostly new characters, keeping the audience in the dark-Sylar appears to be dead, but is brought back in a shocked reveal at the end of season three or somewhere along those lines.

Time jumps were confusing. Fan service--it became "anti-Heroes" as Zachary Quinto became a major attraction, but since his character was a villain, they either had to redeem him or somehow make him sympathetic. Somewhat like the later X-Files, the mythology kept shifting until you couldn't tell who was who (or related to whom) without a fairly lengthy program guide. Characters gained and lost powers...it was just a mess. Basically, they forgot one of the cardinal rules: don't give the fans what they want, give them what they need. And what they need is a good story.