Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Alvy

Your favourite Woody Allen

What is your favorite Woody Allen film?   45 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Woody Allen film?

• What's Up, Tiger Lily? (1966)
    • Take the Money and Run (1969)
    • Bananas (1971)
    • Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex * But Were Afraid to Ask (1972)
    • Sleeper (1973)
    • Love and Death (1975)
    • Annie Hall (1977)
    • Interiors (1978)
    • Manhattan (1979)
    • Stardust Memories (1980)
    • A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy (1982)
    • Zelig (1983)
    • Broadway Danny Rose (1984)
    • The Purple Rose of Cairo (1985)
    • Hannah and Her Sisters (1986)
    • Radio Days (1987)
    • September (1987)
    • Another Woman (1988)
    • Crimes and Misdemeanors (1989)
    • Alice (1990)
    • Shadows and Fog (1992)
    • Husbands and Wives (1992)
    • Manhattan Murder Mystery (1993)
    • Bullets Over Broadway (1994)
    • Mighty Aphrodite (1995)
    • Everyone Says I Love You (1996)
    • Deconstructing Harry (1997)
    • Celebrity (1998)
    • Sweet and Lowdown (1999)
    • Small Time Crooks (2000)
    • The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001)
    • Hollywood Ending (2002)
    • Anything Else (2003)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

103 posts in this topic

There's nothing new here since two years ago, right?

There are some odd details and omissions in this article. E.g., Ronan claims in the article that he saw Woody doing creepy stuff with Dylan when he (Ronan) was 5 years old, but Woody and Mia split up -- complete with Mia's accusations of child molestation -- when Ronan was only 4, and rumour has it that Mia and her family were making a point of keeping Woody and Dylan separate (or at least not leaving them alone together) for some time before Woody and Mia split. I don't know about anyone else, but I have pretty much zero memories before the age of 5, and what memories I *do* have are heavily influenced, I'm sure, by my parents' photo albums and the way we talked about my childhood, etc., etc. Now imagine that Ronan is a preschooler in the middle of a bitter and nationally televised custody battle and, well, there's reason to question his memory. (Unless Ronan is saying that Woody Allen was left alone with him and Dylan one year *after* the split, *after* the molestation accusation had been made, and *after* the custody battle had gone into full swing. I find that highly unlikely, but if there's evidence to support that assertion, I'm all ears.)

Also, Ronan's Bill Cosby analogy backfires when you consider that there are dozens of grown women accusing Cosby of rape, while the only accusation of that sort that has *ever* been leveled against Woody Allen was made by a very young child in the middle of the aforementioned custody battle. There are no other accusers. Woody has since adopted and raised two other children, I think, apparently without incident. The repetitious behaviour of a Cosby or a Sandusky or the many pedophilic priests simply isn't in evidence here. (Which is not to say that other accusations couldn't come along at some point. But as it stands, the one single accusation against Woody Allen has been out there for almost a quarter-century, and the accusations were revived big-time two years ago, and no one has come along to say, "It happened to me, too.")

It's also interesting to see Ronan argue that he didn't want his sister's story to go public again when he was about to launch his media career, since a number of people at the time thought he *cashed in* on the publicity around her story -- and his role in reviving it via Twitter etc. -- and used it to launch his career.

Ronan also overlooks the fact that one of the people who engaged in "character assassination" against his mother two years ago was his and Dylan's older brother Moses, who said Mia herself had been abusive towards the kids and that living among her brood was akin to being in a cult.

So, Dylan's younger brother (who was only a preschooler at the time) believes her memories are genuine, while her older brother, who was actually quite solidly in Team Mia at first before he was reconciled to Woody and Soon-Yi several years ago, does not. I'm not a member of this family and I really don't see why anyone *outside* of that family should be required to take sides in these battles.

I've come to regret jump-starting this line of conversation. The more I get into this icky debacle, the more I dislike being put in the position of having to weigh the testimony of the various parties and attempt to personally adjudicate between them. There's a lot of ugliness here, no matter what the truth is.

Edited by Ryan H.

Ryan H. wrote:
: The more I get into this icky debacle, the more I dislike being put in the position of having to weigh the testimony of the various parties and attempt to personally adjudicate between them.

Me too. Which is why I kind of resent Team Mia periodically demanding that we do just that every other year.