let it be... naked (and copy control)

Peter T Chattaway

I'm mildly, but not very, surprised that no one has brought up this album yet. Are there no Beatles fans here? I must confess the original Let It Be was never one of my favoritest Beatles albums, so I am nowhere near as familiar with it as I am with several other albums of theirs, and as I am currently only half-way through Naked, I haven't heard or noticed any major differences yet (apart from the absence of small extraneous stuff like the dialogue clip where John said something about Doris getting her oats). But I'm sure all will be revealed if-and-when I ever do a side-by-side comparison between the two.

This disc is coded with something called 'Copy Control', but I find I have been able to copy all the audio tracks to my hard drive alright -- though there ARE spots here and there where the sound seems to 'burp' a little, for lack of a better word. (Each spot sounds like a split-second stutter within the audio recording.) But the glitches are pretty minor and fleeting -- maybe they would stand out more, or I would notice bigger problems, if I wasn't playing them on my tiny computer speakers while occupying myself with message-board posts and other distractions. At any rate, does anyone know if there's any software out there that could remove these glitches? I made mp3s of all my Beatles albums a few years ago so that I could store all their music on a single CD, and I'd like to add these tracks to that mix.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

From what I understand Sir McCartney didn't really change anything except take out the "discussion" dialogue and a bit of the lush Specter additives. That doesn't make this a worth while release at all and it isn't the greatest Beatles effort. Rubber Soul and the White Album are top with me but I guess I would also have to throw in Revolver too.

Did we really need another beatles re-release?

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]

asher wrote:

: Did we really need another beatles re-release?

Well, this one at least had the virtue of being a re-mixed (or even un-mixed) version of the album. Beatles fans have known for years that McCartney, for one, resented some of the touches that Phil Spector made to the album before it was released, so it's good to have the album without all those Spector-ish bits. In other words, this album has more of a reason for being than One, the Yellow Submarine songtrack, or the special-edition White Album -- all of which, I believe, may have been re-mastered, but were essentially unchanged.

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

I see your point but it still isn't reason enough for me to make the purchase. I may just wait until they find another surprise Lennon track and find a way to make it into a 2 CD anthology release.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]