Sign in to follow this  
kenmorefield

Item 31

So, I got to thinking about those ridiculously long Netflix queues. You know, you have over 100+ items on your queue and are on the 2 DVDs per month plan...

In addition, new stuff comes out and you move it to the top of the queue, pushing stuff you put on there farther down.

So I'm interested in what's on the list but not moving up..you know, the stuff you don't want to take off, but the stuff you don't see ever making it to the top of the queue and actually getting sent to you.

In the spirit of this fascinating window into our members and what we are ambivalent about, I've picked a number at sort of random...I figure 31 is low enough that most people will have it, but not so high that it is a number that won't routinely get jumped over by new releases.

Without further ado then, what is 31st in your Netflix queue? When and why did you put it on your list, and do you think you'll ever actually watch it?

Peace.

Ken

Oh, and for the record. My #31 is something called Shock Corridor. I had to read the description to know why it was there. I think I read a blurb in another forum of people talking about Samuel Fuller (maybe when something was rereleased) and thought, oh, I've never seen any of his films. So I threw a few in my queue. Will I ever see it? Hmmm. Not sure.

Here is a description:

Ambitious reporter Johnny (Peter Breck) wants to win a Pulitzer Prize by solving a murder that was committed in an insane asylum and witnessed by only three inmates, from whom the police have been unable to extract anything about the case. With the help of a psychiatrist and his girlfriend, Johnny succeeds in getting committed to the asylum, where he tracks down the witnesses and is slowly driven insane himself. Samuel Fuller writes and directs.

#31 on mine (out of 77 counting SAVED) is Kubrick's Paths of Glory

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

#31 is Casablanca. I will see this eventually. Numbers 27-30, I will be deleting--the complete Looney Tunes. I'll just buy them when the little guy's old enough.

#31 on mine (out of 77 counting SAVED) is Kubrick's Paths of Glory

So Darrel, what prompted you to add this to your queue, and do you think you'll ever watch it?

I don't remember if I added it from Netflix recommendation or from one of the friend's ratings (3 of my circle give it 5.0/5). Now that I've looked at it again, I may try to time it to come up sometime when I'm giving blood (Apheresis takes a couple hours and so is ideal for watching a movie.)

-from the film
Armin

My #31 is Kiarostami's Ten, a film I will definitely watch at some point. I placed it in my queue initially about six or so months ago, with a bunch of other Iranian films I was interested in. I have also enjoyed other Kiarostami films I've seen (Where is the Friends House, Taste of Cherry, The Wind Will Carry Us, and especially Close-Up).

I've tried to stay fairly realistic about what I add, and really, what I delete. Thus, my queue has shrunk from a high in the 130's or so down to its current weight, a svelte 64.

Edited by John

All great art is pared down to the essential.
--Henri Langlois

Movies are not barium enemas, you're not supposed to get them over with as quickly as possible.

--James Gray

Entourage season 1, disc 1, followed by disc 2

I think Netflix recommended it, and possibly some A&F folk were enjoying it, so I thought we'd give it a try. I think I'll leave it there for a while. I move things around a lot.

There is this difference between the growth of some human beings and that of others: in the one case it is a continuous dying, in the other a continuous resurrection. (George MacDonald, The Princess and Curdie)

Isn't narrative structure enough of an ideology for art? (Greg Wright)

My #31 is the Buster Keaton double bill Our Hospitality/Sherlock Jr. My sister recommended the titles to me, and I added this disc about six months ago. I won't say I

#31 in my Peerflix queue (in which the numbers actually relate to reality only in a sketchy way) is Criterion's release of Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. I missed it at the AFI and have been kicking myself ever since.

That's just how eye roll.

Alas, I only have 27 items in my NetFlix queue, with #27 being Samurai Jack season 1, disc 1.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

#31 in my queue is

Peter and Paul

Director Robert Day's epic TV miniseries follows apostles Peter (Robert Foxworth) and Paul (Anthony Hopkins) as they spread the gospel of nascent Christianity while striving to keep the faith. Despite violent opposition from without and endless tumult from within, the two disciples unite in their attempts to win converts but pay the ultimate price for their beliefs. Herbert Lom, Jos

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

31 out of 181:

Husbands & Wives

I have an unlimited number of DVD's per month, 2 at a time. I used to have 4 at a time but as am now back at uni and theoretically have less DVD watching time, I reduced it. I also don't update it that regularly as am not that concerned about seeing new films on DVD as I usually catch most of what I want to see at the cinema.

I should mention that my DVD rental allows you to "collapse" an entire tv series together if you choose to watch them in order. I have the Sopranos series 1 and 24 series 1 prior to 31 on my list, and I counted them as 1 entry.

"There is, it would seem, in the dimensional scale of the world a kind of delicate meeting place between imagination and knowledge, a point, arrived at by diminishing large things and enlarging small ones, that is intrinsically artistic" - Vladimir Nabokov

Rolling in at #31 is:

Doctor Zhivago: Part I (2002)

This British miniseries created especially for television is a remake of the classic 1965 film. Hans Matheson plays the title role of the doctor trapped between the affections of his wife, Tonya (Alexandra Maria Lara), and feelings he has for his mistress, Lara (Keira Knightley). Throughout war and turmoil in their native Russia, the love triangle continues

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

Rolling in at #31 is:

Doctor Zhivago: Part I (2002)

This British miniseries created especially for television is a remake of the classic 1965 film. Hans Matheson plays the title role of the doctor trapped between the affections of his wife, Tonya (Alexandra Maria Lara), and feelings he has for his mistress, Lara (Keira Knightley). Throughout war and turmoil in their native Russia, the love triangle continues

So you ladies and you gentlemen, pull your bloomers on...

-Joe Henry

I switched to Blockbuster and my queue after half a year still only goes to # 21. Is that a sad tale about Blockbuster or is that a sad tale about me?

-s.

PS. 21 is Eraserhead, which I saw a hundred times as a kid. Some day I want to watch it again and ask myself, Self, JUST WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?????!

Edited by stef

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

It's not a Netflix queue, me being a Canuck. It's Videomatica.

#31. By Brakhage (Vol 1)

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

#31 of 98 is

Disc 4 of the Neon Genesis Evangelion Collection. For some reason I got on an anime kick and added all sorts of things. I watched Disc 1 a long time ago, but really don't remember it.

Jesus is not a zombie...I shouldn't have to tell you that.

--Agent Booth, Bones

Kal Ho Naa Ho: Tomorrow May Never Come (2001, Bollywood)

Let me encourage you to bump up Kal ho into your top 10. It is the most magnficent and exquisite bollywood film ever.(I've only seen about 5)

My 31 is Kontroll. A hungarian film about a Budapest subway. God knows why it's on here.

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia

Netflix #31 out of 209: City of God. It's probably been at #31 for the past 9 months.

"Did you mention, perhaps, what line of industrial lubricants Jesus would have endorsed?"

Landmarks of Early Film, Vol. 2. I doubt I'll ever get to it; there's a lot below the film that I'm more interested in seeing.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

My 31 is Kontroll. A hungarian film about a Budapest subway. God knows why it's on here.

Yes, yes He does.

And He has sent me to inform you that you need to see it. Quite simply, it rocks.

-s.

In an interstellar burst, I am back to save the Universe.

Filmsweep by Persona. 2013 Film Journal. IlPersona.

My second #31 (i.e., #62) is Harry Chapin: Remember When: The Anthology. Chapin was one of my favorite storytellers. And he was nominated for an Oscar (documentary short) before he started his singing career.

-from the film
Armin

Now that a month has gone by, my new #31 is Virgin Spring to catch up on my Bergman

-from the film
Armin

Yes, yes He does.

And He has sent me to inform you that you need to see it. Quite simply, it rocks.

-s.

Felt inspired to bump Kontroll up to #1.

My new #31 is Stroszek by Werner Herzog. I think I added this after I watched Grizzly Man.

"I am quietly judging you" - Magnolia