Sign in to follow this  
Croaker

Formula One Gran Prix

Anyone else a fan of F1?

I just got into the sport about a year and a half ago. 2005 was disappointing, but the 2006 season was awesome!!!

I hated to see Schumacher retire, but man he almost won his eighth world championship this year.

Can't wait for march and season 2007!!!!

Exagerate the essential. Leave the obvious vague. ---Vincent Van Gogh

I had mixed emotions about Schumacher. He always blamed himself when things went wrong, never dissing the team or the car. OTOH, he never refrained from chippy little cheap shots on the course. Everyone talks of his "stalling" on the course at the end of practice in Monte Carlo(?), but I remember him also cutting off corners in one race this year. The same corner! Three straight laps. The first time it looked like he was pushed. Each successive time it began to appear more deliberate as a maneuver to stay ahead by cutting down a hairpin.

I have a thing for Finnish drivers ever since Keke Rosberg's mastery of the Detroit downtown street course in the early '80's. Though I root against Ferrari, I'm looking forward to seeing how Raikkonen fits in with Massa on that team this year. And how Alonzo does, or should I say, how reliable McLaren is for Alonzo.

I've not shared American fascination with oval racing for quite a while now. I've followed F1 for a long time. Do you watch the races on the Speed channel? Back when I was young and stupid, I had my picture taken with David Hobbs on the track at Indy waiting for the third start of the disasterous 1973 race.

Edited by Rich Kennedy

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

I used to follow F1 years ago. But last time I tuned in, it was just a parade. Precious little passing.

I do like road racing, however. My son and I make frequent excursions to Waterford Hills, our local road racing circuit, and have also been on it once with our road car. Less frequently, we go to Road America (Elkhart Lake, Wisconsin) for the vintage races. It is great to watch all the Vintage F1, CanAm, and sports cars go around that place. Last time, we saw a Surtees F1 (1969?), the year that had the rear wing up on the tall posts. And a Ford GT40 Mk IV. And a Cheetah. Try as I might, I find it really hard to get interested in the current F1 scene.

Of course, I love the film, Grand Prix. I could watch that pretty often and still not get tired of it.

Yours truly,

ABP

No one with a good car needs to be justified. -- Hazel Motes

In the final end, he won the wars, after losin' every battle.-- Bob Dylan, Idiot Wind

Hot Rod Anglican blog ...

Yes Rich, I watch the races on Speed Channel, even getting up a 4am to watch them live, except for the ones that they sell to CBS. Of course I much prefer Hobbs, Varsha, Matchet, and Windsor to the CBS commentators.

Yes Schumi did some very stupid things this year. Parking his car at Monte Carlo during Qualifying just to screw up Alonso's time was ridiculous, but he showed what an amazing driver he is by starting dead last and then finishing 5th! That on the Monaco track where it's very hard to pass.

I love Kimi, and cannot wait to see what he can do for Ferrari. He just had the worst luck with McLaren, which is why I am so happy that Alonso has gone over to them for next year. I don't know what it is about Alonso, I just can't root for him. He is a great driver, and of course deserved to win these last two championships, but I just don't like his personality.

I watched "Gran Prix" a few weeks ago. The footage of the racing is fabulous, especially the footage of Monaco, but the plot and acting left something to be desired. Eva Marie Saint was sort of a dead fish. It was strange to see a young Jessica Walter after getting to know her on Arrested Development.

I love Kimi, and cannot wait to see what he can do for Ferrari. He just had the worst luck with McLaren, which is why I am so happy that Alonso has gone over to them for next year. I don't know what it is about Alonso, I just can't root for him. He is a great driver, and of course deserved to win these last two championships, but I just don't like his personality.

Yeah, but don't count McLaren down yet. Throughout history, even Ferrari had rough patches and dry spells. They have a lot of history at this level and could clean things up. If they don't, you'll really hate Alonzo. He'll be REAL cranky.

I watched "Gran Prix" a few weeks ago. The footage of the racing is fabulous, especially the footage of Monaco, but the plot and acting left something to be desired. Eva Marie Saint was sort of a dead fish. It was strange to see a young Jessica Walter after getting to know her on Arrested Development.

Did you see the new two disk special edition? Yes, the racing footage for the film is the best and most beautiful ever filmed, but the special feaures in the new edition are incredible. Breaking down Frankenheimer's technique. A one hour essay on racing in the late fifties and sixties with incredible stories, memories and reminiscences by the greats of the time. I've seen this latter essay three times since I bought it a few months ago.

"During the contest trial, the Coleman team presented evidence of a further 6500 absentees that it felt deserved to be included under the process that had produced the prior 933 [submitted by Franken, rk]. The three judges finally defined what constituted a 'legal' absentee ballot. Countable ballots, for instance, had to contain the signature of the voter, complete registration information, and proper witness credentials.

But the panel only applied the standards going forward, severely reducing the universe of additional basentees the Coleman team could hope to have included. In the end, the three judges allowed about 350 additional absentees to be counted. The panel also did nothing about the hundreds, possibly thousands, of absentees that have already been legally included, yet are now 'illegal' according to the panel's own ex-post definition."

The Wall Street Journal editorial, April 18, 2009 concerning the Franken Coleman decision in the Minnesota U.S. Senate race of 2008.

Yeah, but don't count McLaren down yet. Throughout history, even Ferrari had rough patches and dry spells. They have a lot of history at this level and could clean things up.

Yes, but it seems like they usually had problems with their engines, and with the development freeze for the next three years, I think McLaren might be in for some lean times.

Did you see the new two disk special edition? Yes, the racing footage for the film is the best and most beautiful ever filmed, but the special feaures in the new edition are incredible. Breaking down Frankenheimer's technique. A one hour essay on racing in the late fifties and sixties with incredible stories, memories and reminiscences by the greats of the time. I've seen this latter essay three times since I bought it a few months ago.

Yes, I got it through netflix. The extras disc was great, and I'm half tempted to pick it up. It's amazing nobody died during the filming.