Sign in to follow this  
opus

Battlestar Galactica

techne wrote:

: quick question for the BG archons: where exactly does razor fit in?

Chronology-wise, I'm not sure, but it was released between Seasons 3 and 4, and it kind of assumes that you've seen the other episodes that had already been made prior to that point. (Certainly the bonus features do!)

just got seasons 2.0/2.5...

quick question for the BG archons: where exactly does razor fit in?

According to Wikipedia, it fits in somewhere in the second half of the second season. (Right when Lee takes command of the Pegasus, I believe. And the flashbacks are when to when the Cylons first attack during the destruction of the 12 Colonies.

well, i'm halfway through season 2 and it's a glorious mess...

(don't worry e2c -- no spoilers until i know where you are in the saga...)

Finished Razor the other night, and I was surprised at how so-so I thought it was. I read that Ron Moore was upset with how the network had him streamlined the narrative, but it was messy regardless. (Maybe similar, in a lesser way, to what happened with the new Terminator movie?) That said, I'm one disc into season four, and WOW is it good. Without any spoilers, the special effects seemed to have improved in leaps and bounds

I thought about starting a thread for The Plan, but decided against it, since we never developed a separate thread for e.g. Razor. We do have a thread for Caprica, of course, but that is an entire series and not just a one-shot movie.

Anyway, someone has written a description here of a clip that was played for some fans recently. And the following clip and trailer have also been played on TV (these clips seem to assume spoiler-y knowledge of the regular series, so viewers beware):

well, i'm halfway through season 2 and it's a glorious mess...

(don't worry e2c -- no spoilers until i know where you are in the saga...)

Thanks! I'm almost finished with season 2 - the episodes immediately following the

whole sequence with the admiral

have been a bit of a let-down, but I'm figuring things will pick up again.

i agree -- or maybe it's not so much that it's a letdown as that the tone has changed and the intrigues have been more inter-personal and political...

i didn't like the fact that 3 episodes in a row were flashbacks, and the character development for several of the characters seems to have stalled e.g. i'm not

entirely or particularly convinced by the changes in roslyn, apollo, starbuck or baltar.

but i'm willing to wait it out...and it'll be interesting to see how razor impacts my reading of these past few episodes...still -- engrossing, no?

I'm almost at the half-way point for season four.

I'm really liking this season, overall. It's funny: lots of fans (of people that've watched the hated it) all weighed in on which seasons were the best, and all were wilding varying. Aside from the strong opening, I got really bored with the first season, but

i'm nearing the end of season 2 -- it feels a little like they're losing some steam, or at least setting things up for the next season. while the second round of political elections makes sense (time marches on and life has rhythms) it also feels a little familiar...

that being said, that thing with the chief shocked me. loved seeing dean stockwell. i trust 'sharon' less and less. the multiple versions of the cylons are increasingly interesting...or will be when, as i assume, timelines/ narrative arcs start intersecting. that's the problem with all thoe flashbacks - you never quite know when those events will assert (insert) themselves...

still enjoying it (a lot) though...

i just hope season 4 is more affordable after i'm done with season 3....

I hope Caprica Sharon and Caprica Six come into play more ... Boomer/Caprica Sharon is one of my favorite characters so far.

I think I can say this without being too spoiler-y, but they do. :)

I just finished 4.0 last night. Wow. That mid-season cliffhanger? Wow. Wow. Wow.

Now, Hulu has the last five episodes of season 4.5, but none of the adjoining ones. Argh, can't wait 'til DVD. Does anyone know if SyFy (or whatever they're calling themselves now) has any episodes streamed somewhere? That site is hard to navigate.

e2c wrote:

: It's fascinating to me that so much tension comes from the humans' refusal to admit to themselves that the Cylons are human, too. Their avoidance of what they actually can see and hear for themselves is... well, all too human, no?

Um, well, but no, the Cylons AREN'T human. In the context of this show, that may be a difference that makes no difference (cf. the scene in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country where Kirk and Spock, a human and a Vulcan, discuss whether it is "insulting" to say that "everyone's human"). But the Cylons are, first and foremost, an ARTIFICIAL intelligence, and there are certainly legitimate questions that can be raised about the "humanness" of machines that arguably merely mimic human activity. (The pilot episode of Caprica is particularly interesting in this regard. It suggests that the only reason we can treat machines as "human" is because we have already begun to treat humans as "machines". For more on this, cf. the writings of Arthur C. Clarke or the latter-day versions of Star Trek.)

just finished season 2...

ouch.

we're in the middle of moving so season 3 will have to wait until we're settled in our new place...

oi!

There's one scene in the fourth episode of season three ("Exodus, Part 2") that might be one of the coolest, geeky spaceship things I've ever seen. No hyperbole, either. I'll spoiler-ize the text for the people that haven't seen it. For those who haven't, you'll probably know it when you see it.

Where Adama jumps

Galactica into New Caprica's atmosphere, letting gravity take over so he can get close to the ground and launch Raptors before jumping out again. The flaming hull of the battlestar dropping to the surface like a rock was just so cool I couldn't stand it.

There's one scene in the fourth episode of season three ("Exodus, Part 2") that might be one of the coolest, geeky spaceship things I've ever seen. No hyperbole, either. I'll spoiler-ize the text for the people that haven't seen it. For those who haven't, you'll probably know it when you see it.

One of my favorite scenes, too.

watched the first 2 episodes of season 3 the other night (at the wife's suggestions - she's hooked now too!) - wow.

wow.

Quick question: The last disc in the Season 4.5 set includes three episodes: Daybreak Part I, Daybreak Parts II & III (which are lumped together as a single episode, and which come with their own collection of deleted scenes), and something merely called Daybreak (which is apparently an "extended episode"). Is it safe to assume that the part-less Daybreak, being about 2.5 hours long, is basically a stringing together of Parts I, II and III, along with the deleted scenes? I don't want to have to watch any of these episodes twice before returning the disc to the store if I don't have to.

(Someday I'll get around to asking why some episodes throughout the series have "deleted scenes" while other episodes are available in both shorter broadcast versions and longer extended versions. Why are the deleted scenes segregated from some episodes but integrated into other episodes? Are some deleted scenes "canon", and others not? It's all so CONFUSING. And the Daybreak situation is even weirder, because it seems that the deleted scenes from Parts II & III may be segregated if you watch that episode on its own, but integrated when you watch that episode in conjunction with Part I. It's MADNESS, I say!)

Whoa, I just realized something. Weren't there some webisodes based on the Felix Gaeta character, somewhere during Season 4? I don't think I've seen them anywhere in this DVD set. Did I miss them, either here or with one of the earlier sets (Season 4.0, perhaps?)?

Whoa, I just realized something. Weren't there some webisodes based on the Felix Gaeta character, somewhere during Season 4? I don't think I've seen them anywhere in this DVD set. Did I miss them, either here or with one of the earlier sets (Season 4.0, perhaps?)?

That would be Battlestar Galactica: The Face of the Enemy. AFAIK, it has not been released on DVD.

That would be Battlestar Galactica: The Face of the Enemy. AFAIK, it has not been released on DVD.

You can, however, watch them on Hulu. (Maybe not in Canada, though? I'm not sure.) They're very good webisodes, FWIW. I feel like it explains (or at least feeds into) some of the tension with Hoshi and Gaeta's descent fairly well.

Jason Panella wrote:

: You can, however, watch them on Hulu. (Maybe not in Canada, though? I'm not sure.)

Bingo. The website interrupts you even as you're just SEARCHING for the videos. I used to think at least SOME Hulu content was available outside the U.S., at the content provider's discretion, but apparently not.

Oh, but wait. Maybe there's a Canadian site ... and a quick bit of Googling turns up this. Yay! I'll have to get back to this when I have a moment.

James Callis (Dr. Baltar) showed up at the end of Thursday's episode of Flashforward on ABC. He was almost unrecognizable, with a scruffy beard, glasses, and an American accent. Judging by the previews, he's going to be a fairly important recurring character on the show.

finally saw battlestar galactica: the plan...

very disappointing.

(sigh)

Ron Moore "explains" what happened to Starbuck... and it's pretty lame. Edited by opus

Yeah, it does seem like a cop out (or, more accurately, IS a cop out), but ultimately it doesn't bother me. Ambiguity in storytelling can be used for good or evil, and I felt like it wasn't too bad with BSG (I think I'm among the minority that didn't loathe it...then again, I was one of the people that liked Lost's finale too).

I agree with you, but I have to say...

I thought Starbuck staring at her skeletal remains in horror was one of the creepiest things I've seen on screen, so kudos to them for that.