Sign in to follow this  
Sara Zarr

Story of a Girl

Congratulations, Sara! What a great honor!

Very, very good news, Sara.

I regret to say, I took your book out of the library but had to return it when my loan expired, and I didn't find time to read it in-between those two points. But I did put another hold on it! (And now, alas, that our library workers have been on strike for almost three months -- and will quite possibly be on strike for a few months more -- I don't know when my next chance to read it will be!)

Thank you. Thank you. I'm not quite there yet with the whole believing it's actually happening thing. I'm looking forward to giving everyone the dish after the ceremony in November!

Congratulations. It is MY honor merely to have my name on the same A&F memberlist as yours.

This is fabulous news, Sara, and yet I find myself distracted -- that's the wrong word, considering the monument of your award nomination -- by the, ummm, details presented in the linked blog post.

I had no idea that people who suffered from migraines suffer to the point that they have to

Sara's Facebook page said she was "keeping a secret."

That's all.

I just know Sara enough to know that if she's keeping a secret, it's juicy.

I didn't know any more than that until this morning, after the congrats had started piling up on her Facebook page.

I had no idea that people who suffered from migraines suffer to the point that they have to

Crow   

Congratulations, Sara. Amazing news! ::w00t:: ::w00tfuzz:: ::w00t::

Sara's Facebook page said she was "keeping a secret."

That's all.

That's it? Man, I thought I was gonna break our first full-fledged A&F scandal here.

BethR   

Congratulations, Sara!

Hah, no. I told him I had a big secret I was dying to tell but couldn't until today, and being the irrepressible spirit that he is he blogged about it. For all he knew I was preggers.

Also something that can create nausea (not that it's ever a good thing to have).

This is wonderful news Sara! Way to go! You've got a lot of talent and it's a wonderful thing to be recognized for it. Congrats!

Oh my...

Haven't been around here much lately, Sara, so I missed this until just now. This is truly wonderful -- my warmest congratulations! I am looking forward to reading this...

Diane   

My heartiest congrats too, Sara. I read the book last week and thought it was just fantastic.

Sara: I'm sorry you didn't win, but hey, it's an honor just to be nominated, right?

I mean that in all seriousness. We've had a lot of A&F announcements about personal projects --books, articles, and films we've created or contributed to, and of which we're all justly proud -- but your news was probably the biggest news ever broadcast on this board in terms of recognition of artistic excellence.

Hats off to you.

Edited by Christian

Wow, I just read about the speechifying at the awards banquet. What a scene. I'd like to think Sara would've been gracious and avoided political stumping in her acceptance, although I have to admit that I did enjoy this comment about audience hissing from the fella who won in her category:

After the dust had cleared Sherman Alexie approached the stage and said while he agreed with Hitchens' take on God, and did not believe in the Iraq War, he was unequivocal on hissing. "It always sounds to me like the sound of white liberal dreams escaping."

EDIT: Ah, this was a "finalist reading," not an award-acceptance banquet. Maybe Sara was there!

Edited by Christian

During a trip to Borders last week, I saw a paperback edition of Story of a Girl. I'm not sure that's news, but the a new hardback alongside those paperbacks, which has a copyright date of 2008, surely is, no?

Ah, Amazon lists both as being available Feb. 1, 2008, so this "news" is a little crusty, but I thought it deserved mention here.

Congratulations, Sara (if you're reading)!

Sweethearts has been earning rave reviews just as Story of a Girl did.

I had a phone chat with Sara on Friday, and she's already thinking through the next couple of projects. No rest for the successful!

Whoah, I feel like a dork, this thread has been active and I missed it. I do have my email notifications, but I don't remember one before the one that came today, soooo!

An update -

Yes, I was there for both the finalist reading and Sherman's acceptance speech. Both were great. Me, Sherman, Hitchens, and Josh Ferris are all with Hachette Book Group so we had various opportunities to hang out. Hitchens is definitely an interesting character. Truly a nice and warm man when you are one on one with him or just chatting. I don't think he becomes the "Christopher Hitchens" everyone loves to hate until he's got a microphone or some other platform, and a bunch of free drinks. It's his persona, it's who people expect him to be. Seriously, if he'd gotten up at the finalist reading and NOT said something controversial I think people would have been bummed. Sherman's comment on the hissing was perfect - he's like the funny one of the family who knows what to say when there's a lot of tension at the dinner table and then the tension is released and conversation can carry on.

The awards themselves were wonderful and surreal. I blogged about my experience here: http://www.sarazarr.com/?page_id=452

Sweethearts came out in February, along with the paperback for Story. As Jeffrey mentioned, it's been doing well! Some review quotes here: http://www.sarazarr.com/?page_id=484 I even got to go on a little tour.

I recently signed a contract for two more books with Little, Brown and am "hard at work" on that. (The email notification came just in time! I was in danger of almost sitting down to work!)

Thanks so much, all, for the support and congrats. I severely curtailed the number of blogs and bulletin boards I read this year so I feel like I'm missing out. Now I have the pefect excuse to go find the threads on all the movies I've seen recently and see what's going on.

rjkolb   

Wow!! Great book. I finally got around to picking up the book on Thursday. I started reading that evening and just finished the book tonight. I could not put it down. Wonderful. Now I am seriously thinking of picking up Sweethearts. Sara certainly deserve all the accolades and praise you have received.