The Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Which Lord of the Rings film is best?  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Am I the only one here who loved all three movies so much that every movie since then has paled in comparison?

Do you know how much I looked forward to every Christmas for three years? I mean, Charolette's Web will be fun to take the kid to, but it is nothing like this...

Everything has been a let down since this trilogy. And I never read the books.

-s.

Edited by stef

Personally, I think that many of the weaknesses in the latter two movies can be ascribed to the increased difficulty in meshing the separate worlds of Books Three and Four (for TTT) and Five and Six (for ROTK). Jackson et al. chose to take those stories, which Tolkien told independently, and intermesh them, which is a fabulously difficult task. That problem doesn't exist in FOTR, since the events which its two books tell aren't contemporaneous with each other.

I'd just also like to note that, aside from any issues with the content of ROTK:EE, the running time itself exhausts me. Four hours is TOO MUCH. I'm a short movie kind of guy. I don't mind my theatrical features coming in at 70 minutes, as long as those 70 minutes are good.

Am I the only one here who loved all three movies so much that every movie since then has paled in comparison?

Let me make it clear that we are (or, at least, I am) not trying to dis the movies. I love the movies. FOTR is my second favourite movie of all time. But all movies have problems, however big or small, and we're simply discussing them. We're probably starting to sound a bit negative, though, talking about it so much.

On the other hand, the problems are big problems. Sometimes.

Everything has been a let down since this trilogy. And I never read the books.

That would explain it. I can imagine that, for someone who's never read the books, the films would be mind-bogglingly excellent. However, a lot of us read the books first, so we obviously will be biased. And the books ARE better (as usual).

I nominate Alec Guinness for Bilbo.

Pardon my ignorance, but is he still alive? :D

I kinda think this would lead to the same problems Narnia experienced. Sure, Liam Neeson is a great actor, it's just that when I watch Aslan, I'm thinking, "Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon." (look at the Narnia thread for more on that). I think the same problem may have occurred if Guinness had been cast as Bilbo. I'd be thinking, "Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan. Obi-Wan." Plus, Ian Holm did a great job. He's a great actor. If you've seen Henry V, or Chariots of Fire, you'll know what I mean. Also, I can't imagine Guinness as four feet tall. It just doesn't work. For me, that is. You obviously have a different opinion (and maybe I'm once again making too big a deal out of this).

Perhaps you've noticed, I love using quotes.

I think in this case, it would be properly termed wishful thinking casting... ;) I really do think Jackson got it a heckuva lot more right than wrong in his casting, and was bold enough to fix his mistakes even after cameras rolled (Stuart Townsend, anyone?).

That said, I would have loved to see Sean Connery chewing scenery as Denethor...

I think Sean Bean issued a fabulous performance as Boromir, elevating the part over Tolkien's characterization. Part of the reason why I (even I, who love all three films dearly) think the films slip a bit in 2 & 3, is that Sean Bean was killed in Part 1. What a magnificent Aragorn he would have made.

When the casting was announced, I remember being delighted at most of it, but I also remember saying, No!! Bean should be Aragorn, not Boromir! And in retrospect, I feel that way even more.

And yet, I'd rather see Mortensen play Aragorn than Townsend... Heck I'd rather see Mortensen play ANYTHING than Townsend. Why they ever considered Townsend for a rugged ranger in the first place just boggles my mind.

I thought that Aragorn, while very old, was supposed to look so young that his real age came as a shock to others when he revealed it.

(And I think you mean Viggo. ;) )

Twice. Day-Lewis turned it down TWICE, if I recall Jackson's words about that correctly. And I wish they'd tried a third time. When Mohicans opened, I remember my first response being "He's the ideal Aragorn." And he would have been sensational. That's #1 on my list of Actor/Character Missed Opportunities.

Ian Holm has always, for 20+ years, been my Bilbo.
Yes, and for just that reason I weep that New Line hasn't been able to work out the rights issues surrounding The Hobbit and gotten Jackson on the stick making that film. Three actors you MUST have for The Hobbit to be of a piece with the LOTR films: Ian Holm, Ian McKellen, and Andy Sirkus. And of the three, Holm's age is the most significant issue. He ain't getting any younger, and he's got to be able to play the young Bilbo we see briefly in flashback in FOTR.

The more I think about it, the think that Sean Bean really should have played Aragorn. Not only would Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate (apparently modeled off Henry's Feast of Crispian speech in Henry V) have gained the punch it lacked (can you imagine Bean shouting it out? Oh, if only), but it says in the book that Faramir reminded Frodo more of Aragorn than of Boromir, so Bean would have fit the role physically too (not to mention that he looks way more rugged and weathered than Mortensen).

Who do we have playing Boromir now? :D

Maybe Rowan Atkinson? Or, or ... Steve Martin. With that stupid voice he puts on. Ha ha, this is fun.

But seriously. Who could have done Boromir? Ralph Fiennes, maybe, but I just can't imagine him in the role (this may be due to the fact that I always think of him as Goeth in Schindler's List).

I weep that New Line hasn't been able to work out the rights issues surrounding The Hobbit and gotten Jackson on the stick making that film.

Rumor has it that Jackson will start making it after he does The Lovely Bones. I don't know how true that is, though.

Maybe Rowan Atkinson? Or, or ... Steve Martin. With that stupid voice he puts on. Ha ha, this is fun.

But seriously. Who could have done Boromir? Ralph Fiennes, maybe, but I just can't imagine him in the role (this may be due to the fact that I always think of him as Goeth in Schindler's List).

Brian Blessed

Russel Crowe

Eric Bana

Liam Neeson

Samuel L Jackson. "I'm so sick of these [blankety-blank] hobbits with their [blankety-blank] ring!"

And now for something completely different:

the guy from The Pope Must Diet! who played the russian mob boss in Goldeneye. I think he could have made an intimidating twist as Boromir, a little overweight and full of himself, who gets ensnared by the lure of the Ring. Seriously. Just think about it for a second.

Buckeye Jones wrote:

: the guy from The Pope Must Diet! who played the russian mob boss in Goldeneye. I think

: he could have made an intimidating twist as Boromir, a little overweight and full of himself,

: who gets ensnared by the lure of the Ring. Seriously. Just think about it for a second.

You mean Robbie Coltrane, now best known for playing the friendly giant Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies? Hmmm, I'm not sure if you're ALLOWED to be in two British fantasy franchises at the same time. :)

IIRC, the Boromir from the semi-animated attempt fits that description.

I see I'm not as original as I think, but I would not want to foist the spectacle of Robbie Coltrane in Viking underwear on anyone.

You mean Robbie Coltrane, now best known for playing the friendly giant Hagrid in the Harry Potter movies? Hmmm, I'm not sure if you're ALLOWED to be in two British fantasy franchises at the same time.

Interestingly enough, he also played Falstaff in Branaugh's Henry V (which, you may have noticed, I have made frequent reference to in this thread). At the same time, I think his Boromir (if we're taking this seriously and it's not just a joke to which I haven't caught on) would be a bit ... hm, what's the word? Not like Sean Bean. :D I think a great Boromir would be like Bean played him (plus, I'm thinking Coltrane would come out a bit too much like Boromir in the animated LOTR, which I had the misfortune to see; a little too "Viking", ya know).

I see I'm not as original as I think, but I would not want to foist the spectacle of Robbie Coltrane in Viking underwear on anyone.

Exactly.

Eric Bana would have been terrific as Aragorn.

I KNOW who he is, I just ... don't. All these names are familiar, I just can't think of where I've heard/seen them. OK, who is Eric Bana? ::blush:: (Get ready for a "D'oh!" moment.)

At the same time, I think his Boromir (if we're taking this seriously and it's not just a joke to which I haven't caught on) would be a bit ... hm, what's the word? Not like Sean Bean. :D I think a great Boromir would be like Bean played him (plus, I'm thinking Coltrane would come out a bit too much like Boromir in the animated LOTR, which I had the misfortune to see; a little too "Viking", ya know).

Eric Bana would have been terrific as Aragorn.

I KNOW who he is, I just ... don't. All these names are familiar, I just can't think of where I've heard/seen them. OK, who is Eric Bana? ::blush:: (Get ready for a "D'oh!" moment.)

Well the suggestion was intended seriously, even if a bit oddly. I hesitate to call any bout of "fantasy casting" serious, since I don't think anyone will be remaking these for awhile.

But Coltrane as Boromir could be a boisterous, more self absorbed turn at the character--put a bit more menace in him, than Bean's noble, tortured soul. Its a different direction for the character. Perhaps too much to Bakshi's version, which I saw as a kid and its stuck in my subconcious.

Bana was the Hulk and in Munich.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

Bana seems too "pretty." And too young. He's a good actor, but he doesn't give me any sense of "I have walked from one end of Middle Earth to the other, and I've seen things you wouldn't believe, and I bear the scars of my adventures." As in Munich, he gives me a sense of, "I'm ready to take this on. WHOAH! This is much worse than I thought!"

I would tend to go in a different direction... a less Hollywood-hero, more "guy-from-the-wild" look... If Day-Lewis kept on refusing, I might head toward someone like David Thewlis. Tall, weathered, burdened...

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

Ah, but the role shouldn't have been altered in the first place! [::exuberant waving of banner reading, "Want spa treatment? Try Rivendell!" - while wearing an "I'm from Minas Tirith" t-shirt.::]

:lol:

My loyalty to the books enflames my anger against the changes taken here. David Wenham was great, but with the story line straying from the original, it kind of cancels his performance out.

However, the altered version did have a nice hollywood conflict father-is-playing-favorites-again feel. I'll give them props for that, at least!

Edited by Joel C

Well, their father sure did play favorites! It's one of the more wrenching things in the books, I think...

Yeah, absolutely. However, the film makers used it to bend the storyline very significantly. It just didn't work for me, as much as I liked the idea of it.

The father plays favorites, yes, but the problem with the films' version of this, as I understand it, is that the favorites-playing seems more arbitrary, or more drained of broader thematic significance. To quote what I said in my review, "the relationship between Denethor (John Noble) . . . and his sons Boromir (Sean Bean) and Faramir (David Wenham) has been reduced to a simple tale of a grumpy, despairing father playing favorites with his children; there is barely any trace of Tolkien's idea that the two brothers represent opposite ways of thinking and being, one of which is more humble and righteous than the other."

Interestingly, I think part of the problem here is precisely the fact that Sean Bean was SO GOOD as Boromir and made the character so sympathetic; many fans were surprised by this, when the first film came out, and the word-of-mouth about this, among fans and non-fans alike, was one of the things that got the series off to such a promising start. But at the same time, the elevation of Boromir, as it were, narrowed the gap between him and Faramir, such that when Faramir was de-elevated in the second film and brought down to more or less the same plane as Boromir, it almost didn't matter.