Sign in to follow this  
Romi

The Office: UK

Never in my life have I been so utterly satisfied by the last installment of a television series as I was with the Christmas special.

mild spoilers1.gif

The music video is hilarious, my wife and I watched it thrice. And Tim's closing monologue about "spening more time with the people we work with than we do with our friends and family even though about all we have in common with is that we share a bit of carpet with them for eight hours a day" Just brilliant!

Edited by DanBuck

My favorite Office moment:

user posted image

Where did this occur? I've just seen the whole thing straight thru and never seen this moment.

It's near the very end of one of the last episodes of season 1. Everyone from the office has been drinking at the bar, Gareth fools around with some woman he meets there, then discovers that she's there with her husband or boyfriend (I can't remember which). He swears that he's not into that kind of thing, but in the very last scene we see him ride off with them. He's actually sitting in a motorcycle side car in the picture. When we saw him give a quick look to the camera, Joanna and I just lost it. We rewound and watched it again and again and again.

How'd you get to see the Christmas specials?

Edited by Darren H

Is the sidecar picture the button shot after the credits? I may have skipped a couple of those.

I bought the christmas episode off of ebay. but apparently its pirated. Lousy copy, but worth it to see how the thing turns out. I can mail it to you if you don't mind the lousy disc. It's a bit vertically stretched out and their are only three chapters broken into strange pieces. And there are no subtitles so my American ears often had to go back and relisten to catch some of the faster dialogue.

: Never in my life have I been so utterly satisfied by the last installment of a television series

Yeah its just perfect isn't it? I'd feel severely let down if it came out of retirement

spoilers1.gif (And didn't you just want to cheer your head off when Brent tells Neil and Finchy to f*** off". How can someone make THAT video and still give you that kind of joy?)

END SPOILERS

: Is the sidecar picture the button shot after the credits? I may have skipped a couple of those.

Yes. (serves you right IMHO)

: their are only three chapters broken into strange pieces.

Really? That is weird. The most obvious way to pirate it would be to record the Christmas special off UK TV, but here it was shown as two 45 minute (IIRC) long shows.

: And there are no subtitles so my American ears often had to go back and relisten to catch some of the faster dialogue.

Really? Or were you joking? I can offer a translation service (well no I can't really as I don't have them anywhere, and you can probably guess as well as I can remember).

Matt

Yes, it was taped right off the BBC. And if I were to guess the only reason for the chapter breaks was because the guy who made it probably has a computer that could only handle files so big. So he broke it up into three parts.

Not kidding about understanding. There are a half a dozen references per episode that make no sense to me, so with out seeing them in text, I have no idea what they are. And there are several expressions that are foregin to us as well. Like "plonker, wanker, and bender." Although I've figured most of them out. You brits certainly are colourful with derogitory comments.

I didn't catch half of the exhange with the preggo women and that rude guy at the party. Tosser, beans, wha? But I still love it.

Yes. (serves you right IMHO)

Well, I intially held back, but as long as I'm being called out, it was my wife. I don't know who gave HER the remote! And once you skip over those to get to the next episode its kind of a pain to go back for them. She learned her lesson by second season and the button on the last Christmas episode was PERFECT.

A tangent (kind of):

Gareth: Ok then, if you're so clever, what am I thinking about now?

Tim: You're thinking 'If I get stranded in the jungle will I be able to eat my own shoes?'

Gareth: No, and you can't.

Tim: Ok then Gareth what are you thinking?

Gareth: I was wondering if there would ever be a boy born who could swim faster than a shark...

Good news...

BBC's look at life in cubicles, The Office, comes to an end with the arrival of the finale on DVD ($24.98). The two-part special takes place a year after season two finished, and the disc will include outtakes, a making-of documentary and the full "If You Don't Know Me By Now" music video by lead character David Brent. The two full season DVDs and The Office Special will be filed together in The Office Collection DVD box set for $59.92. Both bow Nov. 16 (prebook Oct. 19). BBC product is distributed by Warner.

I knew I was holding off on the first two discs for a reason... biggrin.gif

Guest Russell Lucas

This is great news, thought the value-evaluator in me frowns at the thought of a one hour episode content being priced the same as the two previous editions, each of which had three hours of episode content.

But, you know, they get you hooked and then you'll pay any price for a fix.

The Christmas special is actually 90 minutes content time, as it was two episodes of 45 mins each IIRC

Also I thought it was set more than a year after the end of series 2.

Matt

Seeing as The Office is no more can I suggest an expansion to this topic? How well are Sacha Baron Cohen's Ali G, Bruno and Borat, Steve 'Phileas Fogg' Coogan - best known here as Alan Partridge TV presenter from hell, - Eddie Izzard, Dylan Moran (wasn't he on Letterman?) and Graham Norton are going down abroad (especially USA I suppose)? Given that in another thread it was mentioned that since Python, England has produced very few great comedy films, how about TV? Ali G (movie) InDaHouse or whatever it was called stank, the first American series (...in the USAiii) was hilarious I thought, but bombed in America. Now Borat's been a hit, so we hear. True?

By the way, to perhaps aid viewing (sorry if it's been posted already)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/theoffice/clip...ins/index.shtml

Edited by Romi

Good news for the U.S. dwellers of this board - the Christmas special is showing on BBC America this week, while the DVD will be released on Nov 16th. If you'll forgive my fanboyishness on this one, I can't wait!!!

Edited by Andrew

This ended absolutely perfectly, didn't it?

Oh, and we're scant weeks away from the American version. I'm guessing it will be hi-larious.

I keep forgetting to mention this, but last episode there was a reference to The Office. In Charlie's back story, the girl he was scamming/falling for claimed that her father was checking out a paper company in Slough!

Somebody must be fan, which couldbe why that Charlie scene we loved so much from a couple weeks ago so closely resembles Tim's waffling in the Christmas Episoe about whether he'll approach Dawn again about how he feels.

SO Sorry!

I wrote that post in the LOST thread, then just copied and pasted it over here.

Last episode of Lost, to answer your question.

For those of you not in the UK, today is the bi-annual red nose day heavily alluded to in one of the last two episodes of series 2.

I can't help but wonder though whether said episode skewered so thoroughly that its fun-draising efforts will be hampered.

Can't think of it without thinking of Brent in that Osterrich suit.

Matt

Well, Comic Relief didn't seem to suffer too much!...

Didn't see his sketch this year with David Bowie but last Red Nose Day, Ricky Gervais (Brent) did a *terrific* little sketch mocking the whole "celebrities getting on their high horses to support charities" bit. Using his on camera trailer to sell The Office series 1 DVD and mocking a pre-Love Actually Richard Curtis.

"Actually I'm just about to direct my first film..."

"Oh, let me guess. A romantic comedy with Hugh Grant, eh? Playing a bumbling English guy? It's been done really, hasn't it?..."

Phil.

Just a note to say I FINALLY got around to watching the first season a few weeks back. Given all the hype around this series, and given how low-key it is in some respects, it took a while for me to "get it" -- but I am really curious to see the other season (and the Christmas special), now.

Oh, and: Link to the thread on the American version of this series, which I have not seen at all.