Sign in to follow this  
Christian

The Amazing Race 11: All Stars

Boy, some interesting stuff about last episode over at Television Without Pity. Like that Mirna and Schmirna's boat left only FIVE minutes after Rob and Ambah's, because R&A's boat was delayed in order to be loaded with equipment. And that R&A's cameraman got stuck in customs when they got off the plane that leg, slowing them way down. Makes you wonder if without all that bad luck,

they might not have been eliminated

. Hm.

Of course, God has decided to continue to turn my world upside-down, given the finishing order of this leg of the Race. Sigh. Well, for what it's worth, here are my comments:

1. Charla & Mirna - sigh. Yep. Finished

first. This brute fact now requires that I make copious excuses. There were TWO bunchings in this episode, and the finishing order was strictly based on which Detour the Racers chose. Charla and Mirna chose to paint nails, and wound up flying through it. Turns out you only needed to paint the nails of two people to make the requisite money, and even though C&M can't count to 30, apparently, they did fine. Of course, they have to make their first victory in one leg in their second attempt at the Race into some kind of morality play, calling it a victory for women who aren't as tall or as pretty as others. Sigh. They weren't eliminated this leg, but I'm hopeful for the next leg. They. Must. Go.

2. Dustin & Kandice - picked the right Detour, and so recover from ANOTHER potentially fatal blunder, failing to pick up their beacon pack at the glacier. Dustin painting the nails of that little girl for free was a touching moment.

3. Teri & Ian - "You dirty rat!" heh!

4. Oswald & Danny - had way more trouble with that pinger than anyone ought to in any lifetime. Whee! I would have bet 3000 metecais that they would have taken the nail-painting Detour, but instead they wound up covered in coal dust, chasing Phil around at the check-in mat. VERY funny.

5. Joe & Bill - got quite antsy with Eric & Danielle there at the entrance to the park. Chill out, guys. Eric's not worth it.

6. Eric & Danielle - Eric made it all the way through a leg without making a boob joke! But of course, he DID make a "queens" joke at Joe & Bill and Danny & Oswald's expense, so his "bad taste"-o-meter hasn't budged from its low reading at all. I don't know how they motored through that coal-packing Detour so quickly. U&J were there long before they were, and they left at about the same time.

7. Uchenna & Joyce - Checked in last, but not eliminated. Their whole first Race was like that - finishing last or nearly-last, until finishing first in the final leg. They seem to be nice people, but not particularly gifted Racers. The fact that they won a million bucks does nothing to contradict that truth. Well, I'm glad they weren't eliminated, because Charla and Mirna and Eric and Danielle need to go before they do.

:)

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

I'm happy that

those "queens" outraced those young turks Eric and Danielle to the finish line. Guido power!

This week was wild. Really spread the teams out. I thought we were going to see the first few teams leaving after their 12 hours rest before some of the teams even got to the pit stop.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Even though "TAR" didn't show it, I'm pretty sure

Charla and Mirna

must have left before the teams at the bottom got there. It was nowhere near sundown when

C&M

met up with Phil, and it was past sunrise when the last two teams got to him.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Yeah, wow! I don't have time to do a full review, but what an exciting leg! In the first season, the first team across the finish line finished over a day before the last team (Team Guido, actually). They added bunching in each leg to keep that from happening, but it looks like things got a tad confused this leg! I'll bet that the teams start off a little closer together than they finished, and that we don't get the standard, "Bob and Tina, who arrived at 12:15 am, will depart at 12:15 pm" speech from Phil next leg. Rather, we'll get "Bob and Tina, who arrived first, will depart at 12:15 pm."

In case you were wondering, my name is spelled "Denes House," but it's pronounced "Throatwobbler Mangrove."

And to think that

Charla and Mirna

could have gotten even further ahead if it weren't for the overnight *cough cough* "weather delay" in getting a ferry to the island.

There was some big-time airport drama in the last episode, wasn't there? I had no idea that Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania was such a popular destination. Too bad for

Teri and Ian

, that was a tough break.

I'm guessing that the teams will get bunched back up next episode though. There can't be too many flights leaving Zanzibar. Next week is a two-hour episode. Too bad it's on at the same time as Cardinals opening day baseball. I'll have to tape this episode. I have my priorities.

Yeah, wow! I don't have time to do a full review, but what an exciting leg! In the first season, the first team across the finish line finished over a day before the last team (Team Guido, actually). They added bunching in each leg to keep that from happening, but it looks like things got a tad confused this leg! I'll bet that the teams start off a little closer together than they finished, and that we don't get the standard, "Bob and Tina, who arrived at 12:15 am, will depart at 12:15 pm" speech from Phil next leg. Rather, we'll get "Bob and Tina, who arrived first, will depart at 12:15 pm."

So who are Bob and Tina, and when can they overtake Charla and Mirna?

Interestingly enough, "Bob" and "Tina" are the most popular names selected by natives of Bangalore who work technical support for Dell. I've talked to them many times. They're no help with computer viruses, either.

Back to TAR: Does anyone else think that Uchenna and Joyce are the only contestants you wouldn't want to see drowned in a tragic dhow accident midway between the mainland and Zanzibar?

If I were to befriend anyone on any of the five races I've seen, it'd easily be Uchenna and Joyce. Given the difficulties of holding on to one's sanity while racing around the world, U&J come across amazingly well-adjusted and happy.

If I were to have dinner with anyone on any of the five races I've seen, however, it'd be the frat boys from season 1 and All-Stars. They crack me up for reasons I can't quite fathom.

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Just watched this on tape. What a crazy leg! I still can't believe it's so hard to get to Dar es Salaam -- man, I mean, these people could have flown to Paris or Cairo or London to get a connection and been there faster. This leg was odd for one key reason for me, and that's that we got a very poor sense of the geography and people being encountered. Partly that may have been due to the airport soap opera, and partly due to the fact that some of the action in this 2-day marathon took place in the dark. But still...

It's crazy how some of this show writes itself, though, isn't it? Like Eric and Danielle getting pulled off the plane -- just minutes after he makes a remark to her about how he half expects someone to come after them and tell them they can't get on. Or Ian's insistance that staying in line is better than heading upstairs -- a key decision, as it turns out.

Uchenna and Joyce are great to watch, and we're enjoying Dustin and Candace, too. But I can't say any of the other teams have endeared themselves to me.

The suggestive content has been amped up in this series, partly due to Eric and Danielle, and partly due to O&D. Some of it's a bit too mature for my kids to pick up on, but still... leave that stuff to shows like Big Brother.

"Could we ever know each other in the slightest without the arts?"

« Nous connaîtrions-nous seulement un peu nous-mêmes, sans les arts? »

Quoted on Canada's $20 bill; from Gabrielle Roy's novel La montagne secrète. The English translation, The Hidden Mountain, is by Harry L. Binsse.

Uchenna and Joyce are great to watch, and we're enjoying Dustin and Candace, too. But I can't say any of the other teams have endeared themselves to me.

I agree, the Beauty Queens have grown on me, too (and not just for the obvious reasons, you cynics :) ). They've proven to be tough - if sometimes disorganized - competitors, and have shown surprising graciousness and humility in dealing with the other teams. (Loved the letter from one-half of the 'Bama team a few weeks ago.)

But yeah ... I wouldn't exactly call a dhow accident "tragic" if it eliminated any of the others.

(EDIT: Oswald and Danny are OK, if grating. And what was with the fruit stand? Picking up a piece or two to avoid dehydration would have made sense. Instead they went grocery shopping and blew a first-place finish to the Schmirnas.)

Edited by Mark

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

I've just come from an an exhausting and exhilarating weekend in which very articulate Christians talked about the relationship between music and our shared faith.

But first the good stuff ...

After last night's episode I think:

1) The TAR writers have a sadistic streak.

2) There is a part of me that finds the sight of small people dressed in knight's costumes while leading a horse in circles and falling down uproariously funny.

I'm not entirely sure what I took away from this weekend.

Hee hee! Yep, you gotta wonder if the producers insisted that Charla be the one to wear the armor. Mirna completely grated on me during the whole two hours, from her frantic breakdown with the cab drivers who were clearly trying to rook her, to her complaints about Charla not helping, to her wheedling while Charla pulled the horse along. Did she not remember that Bill and Joe had a 30 minute penalty? There's NO WAY that Charla & Mirna could have been eliminated last night, given the characteristics of the leg.

Speaking of which, the producers adroitly re-bunched even the vastly spaced-out field. We'll see next week just how far forward the Fast Forward put the two lead teams, but it sure ain't 14 hours ahead.

And the BQ's continue to impress, with their determination, persistence, and skill. They handled everything well last night, including Charla and Mirna. No small feat, that.

At this point, does ANYONE have any respect for Eric and Pink? Or for either one of them alone? Didn't think so.

I'm a fan, now and then, of Charla and Mirna, even though Mirna can be annoying (Charla not so much, maybe because she so rarely gets a word in). I was a little disappointed in the BQ's hiding from them, although I understood the impulse.

Now, about the BQ's. Have we discussed whether they are women of faith? I don't think we have. But last night, watching them in frustration say "dang" -- something that *nobody* says, unless they have some sort of aversion to profanity, which means there's a high chance they're religious -- and then watching them say a prayer before eating, I have to ask: Are they Christians? Mormons? Or just ... polite?

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

2) There is a part of me that finds the sight of small people dressed in knight's costumes while leading a horse in circles and falling down uproariously funny.

Yeah, if Gilliam ever wants to make a sequel to Time Bandits, he should give Mirna a call.

I think praying before eating the sausage was C&M's idea, wasn't it? Funny how they insult the first cabdriver they meet by making cracks about Polish sausage, and then later they have to eat 2 feet of the stuff. I call that karma, or good writing. Last night, a few minutes before that segment, my wife said, "You never see them eat, sleep, or use the bathroom." Well, two out of three ain't bad.

Edited by mrmando

Let's Carl the whole thing Orff!

Do you know the deep dark secret of the avatars?

It's big. It's fat. It's Greek.

I was really bothered by last night's episode. While they handled Auschwitz well, the armor episode was cruel and mean. Making her eat the same amount of sausage also seemed cruel. Not at all humorous.

You know, I understand that reaction. I really did find it funny, but that was at least partly because of the perceived comeuppance of two competitors who seem to be almost universally loathed. But, in general, I'm not a fan of humiliation, and there was a part of me that thought I really shouldn't have considered it funny.

The Sausage Eating Competition (and accompanying Sausage Prayer) was bizarre, bordering on gross. But I'm also with Mr. Mando. People who insult Polish cabdrivers because of their ethnicity deserve to choke on Polish sausage. Still, it wasn't a pretty sight.

Making her eat the same amount of sausage also seemed cruel. Not at all humorous.
They didn't make her eat the sausage since it was a detour. The pair could have done the other task (wasn't it something about making bagels?) There certainly are some tasks where being a little person is a disadvantage, but the sausage eating thing doesn't seem to be any different than any of the other challenges that involve physical strength or running.

You have to admit that those two hustlers cab drivers trying to get $100 out of them were really awful--not even willing to show them how to get there on the map.

Uh, only after Charla screamed at them.

Cabdrivers are a mixed lot ... some good guys and some jerks, but you shouldn't start out by antagonizing them, either way. I took a lot of cabs in Tbilisi and now have a bunch of anecdotes about the drivers. But I also learned a few things about myself.

I *loved* the piano-tuning challenge, mainly because I know how to tune a piano. (I think I still have my tools in the garage somewhere.) While some were obviously profoundly pitch-deaf, others didn't take any time to think about the problem (e.g. "Hmm, there are three strings on this note. Maybe we should figure out which one is off--using the rubber damper, perhaps?"). It should have taken a logical, non-deaf person 5 minutes, tops, to solve that challenge, especially given the extraordinary generosity of the judges.
I have a hammered dulcimer; the tuning process is very similar. I didn't believe anybody would be dumb enough to break a string, but I guess I should've given them more credit. This challenge really separated the smart racers from the idiots. I can't believe Oswald and Danny got a pass from the judges ... their piano was still way off.

The exercise was a good example of how a small mistake leads to bigger and bigger ones. Turn the wrong string and your key's even further off. Some teams even tried to tune the wrong key, just making things worse and worse.

I am fan of Uchenna & Joyce--the only previous winners in the competition. I'm rooting for Charla & Mirna, too, despite their bickering.

Mirna complains more than anyone, but ya gotta admit she's a trooper. Tougher than she lets on.

Edited by mrmando

At this point, does ANYONE have any respect for Eric and Pink? Or for either one of them alone? Didn't think so.

Eric is a smart guy and savvy racer, despite the middle-school sense of humor, but Danielle is whiny and lame. And Eric's "Miss California" punchline redeemed him forever in my eyes.

But they are the best example of the overall lameness of team choices in this "all-star" edition, anyway, since they weren't even a team the first time around.

I'm a fan, now and then, of Charla and Mirna, even though Mirna can be annoying (Charla not so much, maybe because she so rarely gets a word in). I was a little disappointed in the BQ's hiding from them, although I understood the impulse.

Now, about the BQ's. Have we discussed whether they are women of faith? I don't think we have. But last night, watching them in frustration say "dang" -- something that *nobody* says, unless they have some sort of aversion to profanity, which means there's a high chance they're religious -- and then watching them say a prayer before eating, I have to ask: Are they Christians? Mormons? Or just ... polite?

Charla would be easier to root for if she weren't paired with overbearing, egomaniacal Mirna, who makes one pray for a temporary hearing loss.

The BQ's - something tells me they mentioned God in their last outing, too, but don't quote me. Being pageant contestants, they'd have to polish up their prayers, for sure. What they actually believe is another thing.

(Edit: How depressing that the Schmirnas are the most visible and vocal believers this time around. They might be the worst PR campaign for Christianity since the Weavers raced TAR's family edition.)

You have to admit that those two hustlers cab drivers trying to get $100 out of them were really awful--not even willing to show them how to get there on the map.

Uh, only after Charla screamed at them.

Cabdrivers are a mixed lot ... some good guys and some jerks, but you shouldn't start out by antagonizing them, either way.

Yes. TAR editing is so quick and choppy that I have no doubt the cousins did something to royally tick the guy off. Earlier, I got the impression the reason they couldn't get a better flight out of Zanzibar is that they ticked off the travel agent. Mirna kept telling her to hurry up, pay attention, etc. I would've gone on a work slowdown, too.

Edited by Mark

"The most important thing is that people love in the same way. Whether they are monarchists, republicans, or communists, they feel pain in the same way, as well as hatred, jealousy, fear, and fear of death. Whether you are a deeply religious man or an atheist, if you have a toothache, it hurts just the same." - Krzysztof Kieslowski

"...it seems to me that most people I encounter aren't all that interested in the arts. Most of the people who are my age ... appear to be interested in golf, fertilizer, and early retirement schemes.... I will stop caring passionately about music, books, and films on the day that I die, and I'm hoping for Top 100 album polls in the afterlife." - Andy Whitman

Despite speaking however-many languages they speak, C&M are making quite a bid for the title of ugliest Americans on this edition of the show. Most of the teams are culturally unaware (you just don't tell Africans to hurry up, in general) but C&M are the most in-your-face about it.

...Eric's "Miss California" punchline redeemed him forever in my eyes.

That WAS funny, indeed.

Take a look at this piece about Dustin that indicates she's a Christian. While it was Charla & Mirna's idea that they pray before eating, I am pretty sure it was Dustin who prayed, and prayed, "in your name," which, while not QUITE everything, at least is better than praying to your dead Grandmother, as C&M seem wont to do.

I *loved* the piano-tuning challenge, mainly because I know how to tune a piano. (I think I still have my tools in the garage somewhere.) While some were obviously profoundly pitch-deaf, others didn't take any time to think about the problem (e.g. "Hmm, there are three strings on this note. Maybe we should figure out which one is off--using the rubber damper, perhaps?"). It should have taken a logical, non-deaf person 5 minutes, tops, to solve that challenge, especially given the extraordinary generosity of the judges.

Yeah, it seemed obviously easy, especially since it was demonstrated for them ahead of time. Turn the key one way, the tone gets higher, the other way, it gets lower. Not exactly rocket science.

I am fan of Uchenna & Joyce--the only previous winners in the competition. I'm rooting for Charla & Mirna, too, despite their bickering.

I like U & J except when they get on the morally-superior tack that they take from time to time, like on the dhow with the BQ's, and U's little "let that be a lesson to you, ladies" speech. That's the same thing that I hate about C&M, is the false moral superiority attitude they put on, only C&M do it ALL THE TIME, while U&J just do it from time to time.

TAR increased its ratings on Easter Sunday. I wouldn't have expected that. From USA Today:

CBS did well. The Amazing Race got a little bump in viewers over last week. Some 9.2 million viewers tuned in (up from 8.9 million) to see beloved Uchenna and Joyce eliminated. There are only four teams left - cousins Charla and Mirna, beauty queens Dustin and Kandice, best friends Oswald and Danny and dating couple Eric and Danielle.

I like Joyce and Uchenna. They took a risk and got burned. I probably would've done the same thing.

How many more needle-in-a-haystack challenges will teams volunteer for (this week's was finding a single piece of licorice-filled candy out of 600 boxes of the stuff) before deciding to do the other challenge first? One by one they came to the bakery. One by one they ate until they couldn't eat another bite. And one by one they abandoned the challenge for the alternative.

I'd probably go for the candy too, even knowing that I was doomed for failure.

Danny and Oswald grew a little more tolerable last night. Maybe I just enjoy the fighting? :) Eric and Danielle wore out their welcome with me the first time they appeared on the show, but the fact that they remain in the race, having been Yielded by the BQ's, adds an interesting element going forward.

Charla and Mirna are in a class by themselves. Annoying but oddly effective racers, they were on the brink of winning their third leg out of the last four before they fell behind. I can't count them out.

Edited by Christian

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Please, God! Let Charla and Mirna get eliminated before the final three!

Ahem.

Let's talk about the Yield. First off, I think it's a terrible addition to the show. The show is about Racing, and anything that forces people to arbitrarily stop Racing runs counter to the purposes of the show. It should be eliminated from their bag of tricks. That being said, if it IS part of the show, using it is NOT cheating, unethical, slimy, or evil. I'm not just saying that because the BQ's used it, and they are my favorite team. It's part of the game, therefore it's not cheating. That simple.

THAT being said, I agree with Miss Alli at TWOP, the only strategy worth using with the Yield is to Yield the team you believe to be in last place. Unless the Yield is on the last leg - which it would never be! - the object of the leg is NOT to come in last. The best way to ensure that won't happen is to Yield the team in last place, thus delaying them further and decreasing the chances that YOU will wind up in last place. No other use of the Yield makes strategic sense, if you are seriously Racing for a million dollars.

Now, if you are Racing to get a trip to Tahiti or a pair of scooters, fine - Yield the team right behind you to increase your chances of finishing first. But if your goal is to win a million dollars, Yield the team in last place. It's the only move that makes sense.

Yield the team in last place. It's the only move that makes sense.

Isn't that what the BQs did? Not knowing U&J were hung up in Frankfurt, the logical assumption for the BQs would be that U&J were still ahead of them; therefore they yielded E&D, who started the leg in last place.

Another possible strategy would be to yield the team in second-to-last place, if you have reason to believe that this will cause said team to be eliminated. You might regard that team as a bigger threat than the last-place team.

But you should absolutely not yield someone for any reason other than to knock them out of the race. Now the BQs have a resentful E&D on their hands. Still, the BQs are the only team left with above-average reasoning skills, so nothing but dumb luck lies between them and victory. I mean, Danielle can't even estimate the height of a stack of newspapers.

I was flabbergasted that so many people took the cookie challenge AND that none of them realized they didn't have to EAT any of the cookies. Break them in two, crumble them with your fingers, drop 'em on the ground and chop 'em with the edge of a box lid ... so many methods would've been more efficient than biting.

P.S. An hour layover is just too short for an international flight. Especially if you're dealing with Lufthansa. I was a little surprised that people couldn't be squeezed onto a plane at the last second in Zanzibar. I'm not at all surprised that it couldn't happen in Frankfurt. When we landed in Munich last fall with two musical instruments, a toddler and a CPAP, the flight attendants chided us for not getting off the plane quickly enough. Only in efficiency-obsessed Germany.

Edited by mrmando

Yeah, the Yield was done without the realization that Uchenna and Joyce were stuck in an airport in some faraway country. But that's the risk you take with the Yield.

Did you notice Dustin's "Praise God!" when she saw the Clue box? If I weren't already married to a hot, Godly woman, I'd be in love. :)

I'm surprised that U&J would take that big a risk for a flight that would get in only about 45 minutes ahead, but I admire them for going for it.

It scares me thinking that Charla and Mirna might actually win this thing, or Eric and Danielle. Their "dirty pirate hooker" comment about D&K yielding them was ridiculous and childish. I give D&K a lot of credit for being on one of the few teams I have seen on TAR that knew how to use the Yield properly. And if Eric was trying to quote Ron Burgundy, he didn't even do it right. The correct line is "smelly pirate hookers". #-o

Dustin and Kandace seem to be the team that is most on the ball, and I think they'll win. But considering there's four episodes to go, with two NELs thrown in there, anything can happen.