Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Looking forward to 2007

This coming year, I'm very curious to see which of these titles will inspire us, discourage us, and cause brother to turn against brother (or sister, as the case may be).

And this is just a starter list. I'll leave the international listings to those in a better position to give us the forecast....

Black Snake Moan - Christina Ricci, Samuel L. Jackson, director Craig Brewer. (Feb. 23)

Zodiac - Robert Downey Jr. and Jake Gyllenhaal, director David Fincher (March 2)

300 - Frank Miller novel, starring Gerard Butler, directed by Zack Snyder (March 9)

Grindhouse - dir. Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez

The Nanny Diaries - Scarlett Johansson, Laura Linney, Paul Giamatti's (April 20)

The Kingdom, Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Garner and Chris Cooper. (April 20)

Spider-Man 3 - Tobey Maguire, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace, Kirsten Dunst, BD Howard (May 4)

Shrek the Third - Mike Myers, May 18)

Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, Chow Yun Fat, Johnny Depp. (May 25)

Sicko - dir. Michael Moore (June)

Ocean's 13 - Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino

A Mighty Heart - Angelina Jolie, directed by Michael Winterbottom. (June 22)

Transformers - director Michael Bay (July 4)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - Daniel Radcliffe, dir. somebody new (July 13)

Hairspray - John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer - (July 20)

The Simpsons Movie - (July 27)

No Reservations - Catherine Zeta-Jones, Aaron Eckhart, remake of the German

Edited by Jeffrey Overstreet

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

Two Words: Hot Fuzz!

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

I'm most looking forward to Pirates 3, Spider-Man 3, and The Bourne Ultimatum. I have to say at this point I'm more excited about Bourne than Spidey, though.

Come to think of it, haven't Spider-Man and Bourne movies always come during the same summer? 02', 04', and now 07'...weird.

The one that I think will disappoint? Beowulf. For whatever reason, I don't think an animated Beowulf will be as good as a live action one could be. Zemeckis lost me when he made The Polar Express; the animation was intricate, but the characters were somewhat lifeless and the plot wasn't very interesting at all.

-"I... drink... your... milkshake! I drink it up!"

Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood

Remakes ...

: Transformers - director Michael Bay (July 4)

: Hairspray - John Travolta, Queen Latifah, Michelle Pfeiffer - (July 20)

Remakes of remakes ...

: The Invasion - Nicole Kidman and Daniel Craig, dir. Oliver Hirschbiegel (who made Downfall) (Aug. 17)

: I Am Legend - Will Smith, director Francis Lawrence. (Dec. 14)

Sequels ...

: Spider-Man 3 - Tobey Maguire, Thomas Haden Church, Topher Grace, Kirsten Dunst, BD Howard (May 4)

: Shrek the Third - Mike Myers, May 18)

: Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - Geoffrey Rush, Keira Knightley, Chow Yun Fat, Johnny Depp. (May 25)

Sequels to remakes:

: Ocean's 13 - Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Al Pacino

: The Bourne Ultimatum - Matt Damon, director Paul Greengrass (Aug. 3)

Oh, what a year!

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

The one that I think will disappoint? Beowulf. For whatever reason, I don't think an animated Beowulf will be as good as a live action one could be. Zemeckis lost me when he made The Polar Express; the animation was intricate, but the characters were somewhat lifeless and the plot wasn't very interesting at all.

I disagree. Beowulf is pretty weird at times, and I think weirdness works better in animation. Here's hoping.

"A director must live with the fact that his work will be called to judgment by someone who has never seen a film of Murnau's." - François Truffaut

Twitter.
Letterboxd.

Reviews and essays at Three Brothers Film.

Wake me up when Pirates 3 has come and gone. I don't understand what folks see in those first two flicks.

I still can't work up enough enthusiasm to see the first two despite what people say about them. I dare it's possible that when I finally do so I'll regret not watching them sooner.

I too would prefer Beowulf to be live action/cgi. I love the story but am dreading the film.

I enjoyed the first two Bourne films - the first was a good exploration of existentialism with respect to identity as well as a suspenseful action movie. The second I found less memorable but I'm very much looking forward to Ultimatum.

The last Harry Potter film was the best so far by a long way - but I'm not sure whether that fills me with hope or anxiety for the Order of the Phoenix.

But of course, having spent a year or more of my life researching and writing on Philip Pullman, the film event of the year for me is the release of The Golden Compass (and I do hope that in the UK they will give it the UK title of the first book in the trilogy, Northern Lights - the book was named Golden Compass in the USA as a result of a blunder).

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk

Maybe it's my own built in cultural aversion to big ships travelling across the ocean.
And yet you're passing on the Amazing Grace screening? That's OK, I'm glad to cover it.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Wake me up when Pirates 3 has come and gone. I don't understand what folks see in those first two flicks.

I still can't work up enough enthusiasm to see the first two despite what people say about them. I dare it's possible that when I finally do so I'll regret not watching them sooner.

I have only seen the first film in the series and I found it a complete turkey. Accordingly, I didn't bother with the sequel, despite the raves in these here parts.

We are part of the generation in which the image has triumphed over the word, when the visual is dominant over the verbal and where entertainment drowns out exposition. We may go so far as to claim that we live in an age of the image which is also the age of anti-word and potentially is the age of the lie. ~ Os Guiness

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God (Romans 10:17)

Tony Watkins wrote:

: The last Harry Potter film was the best so far by a long way . . .

I'd give the edge to the third film, but yeah, the fourth was so good I had to see both films a second time before casting my vote.

: . . . I do hope that in the UK they will give it the UK title of the first book in

: the trilogy, Northern Lights - the book was named Golden Compass in the

: USA as a result of a blunder).

According to the IMDB, they will. (FWIW, the book is called Golden Compass in Canada, so I expect we'll get the American title here. But the first Harry Potter book was called Philosopher's Stone over here, just as it was in Britain, so the film was called that over here, too -- even though we are part of the United States' "domestic" market.)

"Sympathy must precede belligerence. First I must understand the other, as it were, from the inside; then I can critique it from the outside. So many people skip right to the latter." -- Steven D. Greydanus
Now blogging at Patheos.com. I can also still be found at Facebook, Twitter and Flickr. See also my film journal.

And yet you're passing on the Amazing Grace screening? That's OK, I'm glad to cover it.

Everybody at HJ knows that Amazing Grace leans more towards your style than mine. For me to cover that would be a total "fish out of water" situation - much like the time Grace Hill tried to (BULLY!) beg me to cover "Nanny McPhee" last year. ::w00t::

I've seen what is for me the first great film of 2007. I'm hoping to start a thread on it today.

Bated breath.

I've posted a couple hundred of my Soul Food Movies write-ups at letterboxd

The stage version of THE LION KING was brilliant. FRIDA was endlessly visually inventive. TITUS took a flawed Shakespeare play and made something astonishing, devastating. And now...

Across the Universe

Release Date: TBA 2007

Studio: Columbia Pictures

Director: Julie Taymor

Screenwriter: Dick Clement, Ian La Frenais

Genre: Musical, Romance

Plot Summary: The love story about a British boy and an American girl is set against the backdrop of the social upheaval of the 1960s. Although not about the Beatles, the musical will use their songs to drive the narrative, with the actors singing and dancing to the classic tunes.

I love the Beatles beyond all rational measure. I might just take out a weekend pass at the local theatre and move in.

And then there's this one, highly touted in Europe, and I'm thinking the theatre angle will be dear to my heart.

The Lives of Others

Release Date: February 9, 2007 (limited)

Studio: Sony Pictures Classics

Director: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

Screenwriter: Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck

Starring: Martina Gedeck, Ulrich Muehe, Sebastian Koch, Ulrich Tukur

Genre: Drama, Thriller

MPAA Rating: R (for some sexuality/nudity)

Official Website: Not Available

Review: Not Available

DVD Review: Not Available

DVD: Not Available

Movie Poster: Not Available

Production Stills: View here

Plot Summary: East Berlin, November 1984. Five years before its downfall, the former East-German government ensured its claim to power with a ruthless system of control and surveillance. Party-loyalist Captain Gerd Wiesler hopes to boost his career when given the job of collecting evidence against the playwright Georg Dreyman and his girlfriend, the celebrated theater actress Christa-Maria Sieland. After all, the "operation" is backed by the highest political circles. What he didn't anticipate, however, was that submerging oneself into the world of the target also changes the surveillance agent. The immersion in the lives of others--in love, literature, free thinking and speech--makes Wiesler acutely aware of the meagerness of his own existence and opens to him a completely new way of life which he has ever more trouble resisting. But the system, once started, cannot be stopped. A dangerous game has begun.

Edited by Ron

And next week, INTO GREAT SILENCE!

Ron wrote:

: The Lives of Others

: Release Date: February 9, 2007 (limited)

FWIW, I saw this one at the festival last year and loved it.

Looks like Into Great Silence hits Seattle on March 30. Woo hoo!

Somebody who's seen it needs to start a thread on this film!

P.S.  I COULD BE WRONG.

Takin' 'er easy for all you sinners at lookingcloser.org. Also abiding at Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.

"Forget it, Jake. It's Funkytown."    

And then there's this one, highly touted in Europe, and I'm thinking the theatre angle will be dear to my heart.

The Lives of Others

Oh I'm sure it will!

I've started a thread on this film.

Focus: The Art and Soul of Cinema now published - www.damaris.org/focus

Damaris: www.damaris.org CultureWatch: www.culturewatch.org Personal site: www.tonywatkins.co.uk