Identity Theft

I am now on the government terrorism watch list!

It's about time! Now if they can just get all the other Texans on the list, we might stand a chance.

:lol:

Did you report this to the FTC?
No. As I started looking into protesting my status, I learned that there is no sure way to know why I actually wound up on the watch list and no way to remove yourself from it. There are also two other major reasons* why I could be on the list, as well as a few minor ones.

Ultimately, they didn't keep me from flying, but I couldn't use the automated boarding pass systems and I had to show ID to an agent of the airline to prove my identity.

Did you have the credit bureaus put a fraud watch on your report?

No, because I think that the fraud was committed within U-Haul itself... I had rented a truck for the last phase of our move into our new home, and I think someone took my AMEX information from those records.

But now that you mention it, I should do it. About a decade ago I had someone take out a loan in my name and it took nearly two years to straighten everything out.

* Major reasons

1) My brother regularly fights with the INS on behalf of international graduate students coming from Muslim-dominated areas as part of his university job.

2.) I had to take a sudden flight down to the Mexican border (McAllen, Texas) to hand deliver some documents last year. I flew in, rented a car, drove 2 miles, drove back to the airport, and flew out on the next flight. When I arrived at the security area for my return flight, I was greeted (by name) by two border patrol agents, a local police officer, and another agent (agency not specified) who quizzed me about my trip. They very carefully went through my things (fortunately, they didn't need to get out the latex gloves) and sent me on my way.

3.) My mother and brother both spent some time on Southeast coast of Spain this past year... an area known for Al Quada activity.

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

Someone rented a large U-Haul truck with my credit card information and then abandoned it somewhere in South Dallas. Since that time I have learned that I am now on the government terrorism watch list! :blink:

Update unrelated to this thread...

The Enterprise Car Rental down the road called me this morning to get additional information for "today's rental." :blink:

Someone has made a reservation for me at Enterprise (using my correct name, address, and phone number -- although no credit card) and they were apparently trying to get credit card information from me to hold the car today. I informed her that if someone comes in using my name today, they should check ID but not rent them a car, because they will likely have a very difficult time getting it back.

I already have a fraud alert out at the credit agencies (thanks Alan!) and ran a credit report this morning (clean!), so no major troubles at this time.

Edited by TexasWill

"If the Christian subculture exists primarily to condemn the world, you can be sure that Jesus is not having any part of it." - John Fischer

"Ignorance is excusable when it is borne like a cross, but when it is wielded like an axe, and with moral indignation, then it becomes something else indeed." - Flannery O'Connor

:I informed her that if someone comes in using my name today, they should check ID,

....and go into the back to make a quick call to 911

I mentioned that the police may need to be called, but I might need to go over there today and don't want to get "cuffed and stuffed" without an opportunity to prove my identity.

In that situation, I would have alerted your local police department, and NOT 911. They might have been able to make an arrest. 911 is only when there's an emergency.

I've been talking to Enterprise AND a police officer friend about setting up a sting for this afternoon. The only problem is that Enterprise does not know when to expect the guy.

They are going to contact me regarding any activity on the reservation, so it might be an exciting afternoon.

Okay. This incident was simply a case of mistaken identity.

There is another person who has the same first and last name as me (and his wife's name is "Sarah" as opposed to my wife's name "Sara") and he had someone in the corporate support office call Enterprise to set up a rental to replace a company car. The Enterprise rep apparently didn't pay much attention and selected the first name that looked similar in their database, even though our rep gave them the proper telephone number for the other guy.

So we got it sorted out this afternoon without anyone taken into custody. ::blush::