Peter T Chattaway

Wall-E

Easy to understand why Disney's not happy . . . there's a major plot point that gets revealed in this one.

David Smedberg wrote:

: Easy to understand why Disney's not happy . . . there's a major plot point that gets revealed in this one.

Um, then who made the trailer, then?

(BTW, is that McKellen doing the narration?)

(BTW, is that McKellen doing the narration?)

It doesn't sound like him to me, except at the beginning.

David Smedberg wrote:

: Easy to understand why Disney's not happy . . . there's a major plot point that gets revealed in this one.

Um, then who made the trailer, then?

Who released it, is more the question.

There's no guarantee that this was actually a final cut of the trailer . . . they could have decided to tone back the couple of shots which are most clear about the

romantic relationship

, or they could have made any number of other changes.

David Smedberg wrote:

: : : Easy to understand why Disney's not happy . . . there's a major plot point that gets revealed in this one.

: :

: : Um, then who made the trailer, then?

:

: Who released it, is more the question.

Not really. If Disney made the trailer, then Disney was planning on revealing the major plot point in question. (Incidentally, which plot point did you have in mind? Nothing in this trailer was new to me, plot-wise, though it could be I'm forgetting what the spoilers are and what they aren't.)

: There's no guarantee that this was actually a final cut of the trailer . . .

Fair enough. Though of course, studios typically release multiple trailers that reveal different things, and sometimes they reveal things in one market that they don't reveal in others. (If memory serves, this was the INTERNATIONAL trailer, no?)

(Incidentally, which plot point did you have in mind? Nothing in this trailer was new to me, plot-wise, though it could be I'm forgetting what the spoilers are and what they aren't.)

As far as I know (and you can correct me if I'm wrong),

the existence of the other main character, the white robot

had not been revealed before. That leads to the plot point that

apparently Wall-E falls in love with her

Hmmm, I actually mentioned that at my blog back in July (i.e. seven months ago), and all I was doing was passing on what Disney had revealed about the film at Comic-Con. So, yes, it has been officailly "revealed" to those who follow fanboy conventions and the like, though I guess it might not have been mentioned in any trailers so far.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

I had no idea that he was involved with this project, but here is a video blog from Peter Gabriel talking about his contributions to Wall-E. The Wall-E portion starts at about the halfway point of the video.

It probably would have made more sense for Gabriel to wait for Pixar's Up.

I wonder what Mike + the Mechanics are doing these days?

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

A new trailer... and in HD... reveals more than ever about this story. For crying out loud -- the detail is so incredible that I get jittery when I think about Pixar launching their *next* movies in 3D. I am so glad to be alive to see this happening.

"WALL * E" trailer soft-pedals the more controversial aspects of this new Pixar film

Jim Hill points out the stuff in this trailer that the Mouse's marketing department was hoping you'd overlook. WARNING !! There be spoilers ahead !

Jim Hill, March 13

Chris Thilk: " . . . the Judeo-Christian overtones in this trailer - and seemingly the movie as a whole - are pretty hard to miss. We see Wall-E, after being described as lonely, folding his mechanical hands as if in prayer, a prayer which apparently answered when the craft, bearing a fellow robot named Eve, lands in front of him."

FWIW, I saw the footage from WALL*E at Comicon. I am trying, not entirely successfully, to keep my hopes and expectations somewhere within the stratosphere.

SDG wrote:

: FWIW, I saw the footage from WALL*E at Comicon. I am trying, not entirely successfully, to keep my hopes and expectations somewhere within the stratosphere.

I have no idea what this means. Does this mean you're naturally inclined to keep your hopes down at the tropospheric level, or that you're naturally inclined to keep your hopes up at the mesospheric, thermospheric and/or exospheric levels? (Yes, I looked those terms up. But I am genuinely uncertain as to what you're saying here.)

: FWIW, I saw the footage from WALL*E at Comicon. I am trying, not entirely successfully, to keep my hopes and expectations somewhere within the stratosphere.

I have no idea what this means.

It means I am trying to keep my hopes and expectations from rocketing into outer space.

Come on up here, SDG. The atmosphere's fine.

Edited by Overstreet

Come on out here, SDG. The atmosphere's fine.

Dude. You didn't see the footage. No joke, I got 2001 goosebumps. I don't think anything from Pixar has ever spoke to me of awe, before.

Edited by SDG