Peter T Chattaway

Wall-E

MLeary wrote:

: It would be like hearing Sinatra at the end of Planet of the Apes.

Ha! MLeary, that's the second time you've made me laugh out loud in the past five minutes. I rather like the sensation. :)

: No. The whole point of my approach would be not to take the viewer into space until Wall-E's own departure from Earth. Like telling Star Wars from the outset from Luke's perspective without the opening battle -- probably not the best choice with Star Wars, but I think it would have worked well for Wall-E.

Interesting comparison, since Star Wars, as written AND filmed (but not edited), included scenes of Luke on the surface of Tattooine, looking up at the space battle through his binoculars. I think the film works better by sticking with the droids and delaying our introduction to Luke until well into the first act; starting in space, and then suddenly jumping down to the planet surface without a proper introduction, would have been kind of weird.

: Well, for one thing, bone loss begins immediately; astronauts experience it on even limited extended excursions into space.

But to the degree that the President suggests? His video includes a graphic showing the humans becoming as fat and baby-ish as they are 700 years later. Did he really expect the people on the Axiom to get THAT out of shape so quickly? (I believe the portraits of the various captains suggest it did take longer than that.) And of course, it is not "excursions into space" that causes the bone loss, per se, but rather lack of gravity ... and the Axiom actually HAS gravity. But we've been over that before.

: For another, why assume that the president is being equally candid in both segments? Isn't the first one for public consumption, as it were, while the second is the secret low-down?

Yikes, that's an alarming graphic to be dangling in front of the "public"!

: Oh, good point. This is part of what Minority Report showed us: Older doesn't go away just because newer has come.

It does kind of return us to the earlier problem, though, of how these humans reproduce, if the technology has not been evolving to allow them to reproduce in new ways that do not include sexual contact.

It's not bragging--it's about adventure and exploring a wondrous new world.

I also like the song, but isn't the beginning about a wondrous, dusty, barely recognizable old world? I think the film is more about recovery than discovery. (But then this may be why I love the first half, and grumble through the second.) This way, the song is more haunting than anything, in that it actually gains a gravitas beyond its jaunty pop-musical origin in these opening scenes because it is the only point of contact we as the viewer have to all this rubble strewn before us. It would be like hearing Sinatra at the end of Planet of the Apes.

Yes. My quote was talking about the original context of the song, in Hello Dolly. It is then re-applied in a different context in Wall-E to a much different effect than its original application.

Edit: don't forget Best Animated Feature.

Edited by Buckeye Jones

FWIW, near as I can make it, this film has more Oscar nominations than any animated film in history. Ratatouille had FIVE, and Beauty and the Beast had six ... but three of them were in the same category, so it was really only nominated for FOUR awards. WALL-E, on the other hand, is nominated in SIX different categories, including the creatively crucial category of screenwriting. So there is still something here for the fans to celebrate, even if this movie didn't make the short list for the top prize.

Can Red Wine Make That Desk Job Healthier?

Fans of red wine have yet one more reason to keep popping those corks. Resveratrol, the much-publicized ingredient in red wine that seemingly helps improve health, may prevent negative effects that accompanies sedentary lifestyles, a new study shows.

Experiments with rats that simulated the weightlessness of spaceflight (which mimics sedentary lifestyles because of the lack of gravity) showed that the group fed resveratrol supplements didn't develop insulin resistance or a loss of bone mineral density, unlike those that weren't fed resveratrol. That was according to research recently published in the Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. . . .

AOL Jobs, July 5

Can Red Wine Make That Desk Job Healthier?

Fans of red wine have yet one more reason to keep popping those corks. Resveratrol, the much-publicized ingredient in red wine that seemingly helps improve health, may prevent negative effects that accompanies sedentary lifestyles, a new study shows.

Experiments with rats that simulated the weightlessness of spaceflight (which mimics sedentary lifestyles because of the lack of gravity) showed that the group fed resveratrol supplements didn't develop insulin resistance or a loss of bone mineral density, unlike those that weren't fed resveratrol. That was according to research recently published in the Journal of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology. . . .

AOL Jobs, July 5

Wall-E connection ... Wall-E connection ... oh. :lol:

"Resveratrol supplements ... in a cup!"

Found him. Just to the left of center, third row from the bottom.

Are ALL of these robots, etc. real pop-culture references?

Edited by SDG

I believe every single one of them are from movies and television.

Are ALL of these robots, etc. real pop-culture references?

Yes. The artist, Richard Sargent, ran a "name them all" contest when he first posted the picture. I found out about when George Takei linked to it on Facebook this week. His website listed the answers awhile back.

After yesterday's release of Pope Francis' eco-encyclical Laudato Si' "on the care of our common home," someone on Twitter suggested viewing the encyclical and Wall-E side by side — and once the suggestion was made, I began writing like mad and couldn't stop until I had written nearly 2800 words!

Pixar and the Pope: Pope Francis' Laudado Si' and Pixar's Wall-E

“The earth, our home, is beginning to look more and more like an immense pile of filth,” Pope Francis writes. “In many parts of the planet, the elderly lament that once beautiful landscapes are now covered with rubbish” (LS 21).

From the outset Wall-E looks as if it had been created with these words in mind, projecting them into a dystopian future in which rubbish has expanded to cover the entire planet…

Looking more closely, a poisoned environment and landscapes covered with rubbish are far from the only points of contact between Wall-E and Laudato Si’

Saw this again the other day.  The first half really is great.  It's not that the second half isn't great, but its just so different that it throws one off a bit.  I think.

Something jumped out at me this time around that I believe I overlooked before.  I think it might be significant that they called the spaceship the "Axiom" in regards to the fact that an axiom is a philosophical term.  I wonder if they were thinking that the second half of the film is built on a different "axiom" in a sense, and therefore is a different system of thinking about the story.  Also, I wonder if the humanity on that ship had their reasoning built on different axioms than previous humanity on earth.  Later they return to thinking built on similar axioms.

Just a thought.

Edited by Attica

Even though a lot of folks say this film is appropriate for five year olds, my just-turned eight year olds tried watching this for the first time.  My wife turned it off at the half-way mark.  Too scared.

Interesting comment/perspective over at my blog:

I saw Wall-e last night in a cinema in Barcelona, Spain. I had heard of it many many times in praise and awe. The movie was rubbish.
Beside all the facts that you mentioned, there are many many western-supramacy sign in the movie. All captains were white caucasian men, the humans are mostly white, with some black exceptions as peripheral characters, but no one from other races. No trace to other races, and their culture when you have pointers to “good old Earth”. The musical movie that WallE liked were white American culture, the music he liked, and even the photos appeared on the captain’s screen were all “white/caucasian culture”, as it was the only culture and race on earth. And the movie was supposed to raise awareness about environment, however in the end casting we see “fishering” in the rivers, which all environmentally aware ppl know how damaging fishering is to the environment. This movie was a pure rubbish, and who praises it, neither is an observant, nor a movie critic, nor interested in earth.

We're seriously complaining about the movie-within-the-movie being too white -- and too American! -- now? In a movie that's basically a critique of American consumerism?

I'm probably second to no one in my love for WALL-E, so take this with whatever grain of salt is necessary. Continuing from Peter's comment, the predominance of white caucasian captains and white caucasian culture only makes the critique of white Western wastefulness and consumerism more powerful. I also really don't think I can take seriously anyone who complains about using Hello, Dolly! because it's too white and American, when Andrew Stanton said he chose it for its personal value to him.

And that last sentence undercuts any consideration I might have given his other arguments.