Sign in to follow this  
Plankton

"Content Guides" for older films

OK, so I've got these two films -- Serpico and A Midwinter's Tale -- and I'd like to know their *ahem* content before viewing them. Don't get me wrong. I'm just a bit sensitive to some kinds of... content in film, and I like to know what I'm in for.

But unfortunately, I can't find any kind of "content guide" for either of these films. Imdb told me A Midwinter's Tale was rated R for language, but nothing about Serpico. The content site RottenTomatoes links to doesn't list either of them, and neither does Screenit.

Someone help me out.

Edited by Plankton

FWIW, the (very brief) capsule reviews at the USCCB Office for Film & Broadcasting website offer (even briefer) content advisories for both films.

Serpico:

Director Sidney Lumet's movie is gritty and uncompromising, convincingly realistic, yet engrossing in its human drama and tension. Its theme of corruption is unpleasantly graphic and some will find its implications frightening. (A-IV / L, limited adult audience, films whose problematic content many adults would find troubling.)

A Midwinter's Tale

Sexual references and some rough language. (A-III - Adults)

FWIW, despite the harsh rating, Serpico made the OFB's 1973 Top 10 list. (However, the original review and rating were probably actually written in 1973, whereas I'm pretty sure the Top 10 list was compiled at a much later date by a different hand, and probably under a different administration.)

Thanks. I'll probably see A Midwinter's Tale when I've got the time.

SDG, I had looked at the USCCB film site before for Serpico, but I really would like something more, y'know, comprehensive. I mean, what does "graphic" signify? Graphic violence? Graphic sexuality? Or just graphically corrupt people? Does "L" signify really graphic content, or just that the film is just plain disturbing?