Sign in to follow this  
Plot Device

Some "Blogspot" questions (I need techy help)

I know some of you are more savvy at Blogspot than I am. Here's my list:

1) Can I delete some of my labels? How do I do that?

2) How do I indent text? But not "black quote" just indenting.

3) How do I make a hyperlink read as a custimized line of text instead of the http gibberish of the actual address?

Thanks.

Edited by Plot Device

INT. HOLY TRINITY CHURCH - SANCTUARY - NIGHT

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Yes... in fact .... I consider that one scripture to be an occupational hazard.

The only reliable way to do text indention is by tweaking your template's CSS info, which controls your blog's layout.

3) How do I make a hyperlink read as a custimized line of text instead of the http gibberish of the actual address?

You'll need to use the anchor tag. That being said, I thought BlogSpot had some sort of Word-like text editor that you could use to help create your entries.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

The only reliable way to do text indention is by tweaking your template's CSS info, which controls your blog's layout.

You'll need to use the anchor tag. That being said, I thought BlogSpot had some sort of Word-like text editor that you could use to help create your entries.

I see other bloggers at Blogspot (quite a few from this web site) who do lots of cool html things, and I find no instructions anywhere on Blogspot on how I can duplicate those things. And I have looked and looked for those instructions. They don't exist.

I kinda suspect these bloggers have the OLD Blogspot, not the new one, and maybe that's why they can do this cool stuff and I can't (grandfathered??). But I really would appreciate some solid answers on these questions.

FATHER LORENZO

So now that you've told me all of this: why do you hold such a deep aversion to discussing angels?

PASTOR DAVID

Because I don't wanna get it WRONG! To stand up in front of my congregation--AND in front of God-- and screw it up! Do you hold much stock in that passage from James that says "We who teach will be judged more strictly"??

FATHER LORENZO

Plot Device:

: Can I delete some of my labels? How do I do that?

There's a really easy way to do this in WordPress, but in Blogger, I think you have to go into every post that has that label and delete the labels manually. At least it's easy enough to filter by just those posts; you can do that on the left-hand side of the "Edit Posts" page.

: How do I indent text? But not "black quote" just indenting.

There's no supereasy way to do it, but here's a quickish workaround. When you're done writing your post (in "Compose" mode, I assume), click on the "edit HTML" tab. Find the text you want to indent. Right before the text you want to indent, type a <ul>. Right after the text you want to indent, type a </ul>.

: How do I make a hyperlink read as a custimized line of text instead of the http gibberish of the actual address?

I may not be reading you correctly, but I think all you need to do is highlight the word you want linked, then click on the link button.

I'm using New Blogger as well (by choice), so these all ought to work.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

: How do I indent text? But not "black quote" just indenting.

There's no supereasy way to do it, but here's a quickish workaround. When you're done writing your post (in "Compose" mode, I assume), click on the "edit HTML" tab. Find the text you want to indent. Right before the text you want to indent, type a <ul>. Right after the text you want to indent, type a </ul>.

Hate to get all HTML purist on you, but I'd recommend against doing that. The <ul> tag should only be used for when you want to create a list.

I should've asked this at the start: why are you wanting to indent text?

I see other bloggers at Blogspot (quite a few from this web site) who do lots of cool html things, and I find no instructions anywhere on Blogspot on how I can duplicate those things. And I have looked and looked for those instructions. They don't exist.

My guess is that they've probably mucked around a whole lot with their template's CSS. And so there wouldn't really be any instructions on BlogSpot, because it's a much bigger issue than just BlogSpot.

"I feel a nostalgia for an age yet to come..."
Opus, Twitter, Facebook

Frankly, if <ul> does the job for PD's purposes -- and I'm confident that it will -- I could care less that it's basically pidgin HTML. Even if PD moves to a different template along the line, there's at least a 90 percent chance it'll work reasonably well. It's either that or programming in CSS, and even though I more-than-occasionally edit my CSS templates, even I'd probably just use the <ul> tag (or, more likely, <blockquote>).

Dale

Metalfoot on Emmanuel Shall Come to Thee's Noel: "...this album is...monotony...bland, tripy fare..."

Opus and Dale, thanks for the help. I'll give it a try. :)

FATHER LORENZO

PASTOR DAVID

FATHER LORENZO