Sign in to follow this  
Overstreet

Burn After Reading (2008)

After No Country For Old Men, it'll be...

BURN AFTER READING
Starring Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Marge Gunderson.

The Coens directing Pitt... at last!

The story involves "a CIA agent who loses the disc of the book he is writing."

After No Country For Old Men, it'll be...

BURN AFTER READING

Starring Brad Pitt, George Clooney, and Marge Gunderson.

The Coens directing Pitt... at last!

The story involves "a CIA agent who loses the disc of the book he is writing."

That sounds downright funny!

Starring ... Marge Gunderson.

I kept reading that, thinking, "I know I know who that actress is, but ..."

Had to go to IMDB to confirm that you had mixed a character name in with the real names.

I'm wondering if this is another one of those "studio" films, like "The Ladykillers", that the Coen's need to make so that they can get funding for something like "Hail Caesar" or "No Country for Old Men" - films with subject matter that definitely seem more in keeping with the Coen's sensibilities, and less likely to be runaway hits.

Oh well, even Spielberg had to make "Jurrasic Park" in order to get funding for "Schindler's List".

I'm wondering if this is another one of those "studio" films, like "The Ladykillers", that the Coen's need to make so that they can get funding for something like "Hail Caesar" or "No Country for Old Men" - films with subject matter that definitely seem more in keeping with the Coen's sensibilities, and less likely to be runaway hits.

Maybe, but this is an original script, unlike "The Ladykillers" and "Intolerable Cruelty", and I don't think the big-name cast necessarily means that this is simply a cash-in attempt -- Pitt's showed a willingness throughout his career to work on smaller projects (and smaller roles) he finds interesting, and he was long rumored to be starring in a Coen film (though I always questioned the validity of them). And Clooney obviously has a history with the Coens'.

Though I would've preferred to see "Hail Caesar!" after "No Country" -- partly because I think the idea for "Burn After Reading" sounds like the humor could be a little too broad, and partly because I think the Coens' are at their best when doing period pieces.

Burn After Reading is set to open wide on Sept. 12th. This doesn't follow the usual release scenario of a Coen Brothers film, but a big name cast, and coming off their most finacially lucrative and award winning No Country for Old Men, could set the Coen's up for a real box office triumph.

Most of the pics directed by the Coen brothers have followed the traditional platform release pattern employed for specialty films that are less accessible commercially. Exceptions include Tom Hanks starrer "The Lady Killers"; "Intolerable Cruelty," starring Clooney opposite Catherine Zeta-Jones; and "The Big Lebowski."

The only drawback, if the past is taken into account, is that the three films listed as previously opening wide for the Coen's were not all that successful. The combined domestic gross of The Big Lebowski; Intolerable Cruelty; and The Ladykillers is about $90 million dollars, compared to the $70 million and rising total for the platform released No Country for Old Men.

*Woo-hoo! I finally joined the quadruple digit post club! Let the fanfares begin! At my rate of posting, it'll only be another 48 years until I reach PTC's post total as of today, at which time his posts should number in the millions. :)

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah

New pics!

Looks like we're going back to the wacky side of Coen Country.

I mean, I never really imagined seeing Clooney and Swinton in bed together... did you?

New pics!

I mean, I never really imagined seeing Clooney and Swinton in bed together... did you?

Well, it looks like he's the forgiving sort, after what happened in their last movie together.

Love it.

But didn't The Big Lebowski get the same sort of treatment, at least initially? The Coens seem to thrive on confounding the expectations of those who wish they'd repeat themselves. Of course there will be some naysayers for this film.

Josh is exactly right. The Big Lebowski got mixed reviews when it was released, especially considering it came after Fargo. They're very different movies, just like Burn After Reading seems drastically different than No Country. But since the, The Big Lebowski has aged well, being regarded better and better as the years roll by. The Coens know how to throw people for a loop.

Hey, I'll be honest. Initially, The Big Lebowski was a huge disappointment for me after Fargo. It wasn't until it started playing on cable that I really started to appreciate it, and now list it as among my top three favorite Coen Bros. films.

Uh... perhaps I came to the Coens' defense too soon. I just found out that the only screening-- in Charlotte, anyway-- is taking place the night before the film opens. Never a good sign...