Sign in to follow this  
Christian

What I'm Watching This Weekend

I'll also be introducing him to MLB at Dodger Stadium against the Cub.

Live. Breathe. Blue.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

Looks like I'll be catching What If, which I know nothing about, and maybe watching A Touch of Sin at home.

I'll also be introducing him to MLB at Dodger Stadium against the Cub.

Live. Breathe. Blue.

Ha! I just took my four kids to a Nats game yesterday for the first time. They liked it -- didn't complain, although they don't understand the rules of the game.

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

Robocop (1987 version), and a double shot of David Michod films - The Rover, and Animal Kingdom.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

Now that school's out, I might start on Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Which could take up your entire summer break! 

I saw this back when it played in art houses in the 80's.  IIRC, it was shown over the course of a month or so, in five 3 hour blocks.  I purchased a full pass, which greatly discounted the overall price you'd have paid to purchase individual tickets at the door for each separate showing.  One of those films I need to go back and experience.  Other than World on a Wire, it's the only RWF film I've seen.

Gonna make it an easier weekend.  I hope to get around to seeing Chef.  Last weekends choices ended up taking me until Tuesday night to accomplish in full.

Sorry it took so long to respond.

I checked BA out at the library before realizing that this wasn't something I could handle on that kind of timeframe, so I took a gamble and ordered it with a $200 Target gift card I got for my 18th birthday (August 4th). It should be here in a couple days.

This has given me time to get more familiar with Fassbinder. I've now seen World on a Wire, Martha, In a Year of 13 Moons, and the BRD Trilogy.

Did George Clinton ever get a permit for the Mothership, or did he get Snoop Dogg to fetch one two decades late?

Short Term 12 and probably my new* Criterion blu-ray of Tokyo Story.

*Actually, it was a Christmas present; I'm just that far behind on watching my own DVDs.

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

Hopefully, The Trip to Italy.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

"Everyone has the right to make an ass out of themselves. You just can't let the world judge you too much." - Maude 
Harold and Maude

The Selfish Giant

"What matters are movies, not awards; experiences, not celebrations; the subjective power of individual critical points of view, not the declamatory compromises of consensus." - Richard Brody, "Godard's Surprise Win Is a Victory for Independent Cinema," The New Yorker

The Trip to Italy tonight, Frank Sunday.  Netflix on hand: Nymphomaniac, Vol II.

A foreign movie can't be stupid.

-from the film
Armin

A couple of old faves at the New Beverly tomorrow: Alphaville & Band of Outsiders.

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

Donkey Skin, Juliet of the Spirits, and Shock Corridor

It's gonna be a good weekend, isn't it?

"Anyway, in general I love tragic artists, especially classical ones."

"Even the forms for expressing truth can be multiform, and this is indeed necessary for the transmission of the Gospel in its timeless meaning."

- Pope Francis, August 2013 interview with Antonio Spadaro

You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet

Maybe The Conjuring

Edited by Christian

The Conjuring

Possibly The Skeleton Twins

The Sacrament

Let the Fire Burn

Night Moves

Edited by Christian

The Zero Theorem 

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

I'm all agog to see what Quentin Tarantino is planning for October. Since his takeover of the New Beverly last month, everyone is holding their breath to see what treasures he'll disinter from his private vault. Don't disappoint us, man. 

"A great film is one that to some degree frees the viewer from this passive stupor and engages him or her in a creative process of viewing. The dynamic must be two-way. The great film not only comes at the viewer, it draws the viewer toward it." -Paul Schrader

Twitter     Letterboxd

I'm all agog to see what Quentin Tarantino is planning for October. Since his takeover of the New Beverly last month, everyone is holding their breath to see what treasures he'll disinter from his private vault. Don't disappoint us, man. 

From Variety today...

Screening on Oct. 1 and 2 are two movies by the late Paul Mazursky, “Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice” and “Blume in Love.” The following week “Pulp Fiction” will play for six nights with “The Professional,” both of which are 20 years old this month.

All movies will be shown in 35mm  in line with Tarantino’s new policy to preserve the moviegoing experience, and the theater has upgraded the sound system and installed a 16mm projector. The New Beverly had recently purchased a digital projector, leading to Tarantino’s decision to take over programming from the longtime programmer Michael Torgan, whose family had run the theater for decades.

Many of the prints are rare copies from Tarantino’s own collection. Among the other titles screening in October are a Robin Williams double feature of “The Best of Times” and “Moscow on the Hudson,” a Bruce Lee night, a Sam Peckinpah duo and a George C. Scott double feature. On Halloween night, the theater presents an all-night marathon hosted by Eli Roth with three of Roth’s films and three other scarers.

Only thing that doesn't appeal to me is the Halloween night marathon.  I've gone to the last 2 Horror Fests at New Beverly, which has been a fun collection of cheap scares and classics, but I can't see going this year.  Eli Roth films do not appeal to me.  There's no way I could stomach three, and I have a feeling the "other three scarers" might follow the same vein as his films.  Looks like I'll be attending the Aero theatre's all night horror celebration (oddly enough being called the "Dusk to Dawn Marathon") which will include CREEPSHOW, GARGOYLES, THE THING, THE NIGHT OF A THOUSAND CATS, THE DEADLY SPAWN, BASKET CASE, and ZOMBIE HOLOCAUST.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Decided to rewatch, and introduce my kids to, Ghostbusters, but it's been decades since I last saw it and I can't recall age-appropriateness. I think I'll let my 12- and 10-year-old girls watch it, although it's my 7- and 6-year-old boys who seem most excited that I brought the DVD home with me.

Sorry, boys.

I've got Frankenweenie, the preview for which made my oldest daughter cry (!!) ahead of the film's theatrical release. She's 12 now -- so much more mature than 11! smile.png -- so she may give it another shot. Her younger siblings don't seem phased by the clips they've seen from the film.

I started watching some of Barbara last night, but I was distracted. The film appeared to be so good that I turned it off so I could watch it later with my wife.

All that, and I might try to get to Gone Girl or Jimi: All Is By My Side.

Oh, and I grabbed Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench again because I've seen Whiplash and want to revisit the director's previous film.

BUT HERE'S THE THING THE NATS ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS PLUS MY WIFE IS HAVING A PARTY TOMORROW TO CELEBRATE THE RELEASE OF HER NEW BOOK SO I'LL PROBABLY HAVE EVEN LESS TIME THAN USUAL TO WATCH THESE.

Edited by Christian

20th anniversary screenings of Pulp Fiction paired up with The Professional.

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

At the New Beverly, right?

thumbsupup.gif

Formerly Baal_T'shuvah

Harold and Maude

Way too much to watch this weekend: 

For reviews: 

-Ghost in the Shell: 25th Anniversary Edition

-Defiance season 2 

-the HK crime film Triad, which looks like garbage. 

-and finishing up the excellent Ken Burns series The Roosevelts: An Intimate History

For fun: 

-Cleo from 5 to 7

Edited by Jason Panella

We are going through movies based on books our boys are reading/have read. This weekend is The Outsiders.

...the kind of film criticism we do. We are talking about life, and more than that the possibility of abundant life." -M.Leary

"Dad, how does she move in mysterious ways?"" -- Jude (my 5-year-old, after listening to Mysterious Ways)

[once upon a time known here as asher]