Sign in to follow this  
Persona

Baby 81

Persona   

BMRC have gone back to what we loved them for in the first place -- pure power, raw rawk. They have been criticized -- I think unfairly -- by Pitchfork's Eric Harvey, for having "calculated notions of revolution and struggle," that Harvey claims are superficial, and even so, pulled off better by other bands. He named the bands too, and they're all dead (Jesus and Mary Chain and the Stones, as per usual). So I guess my question is, if BRMC doesn't do today what only they can do today, who else is going to do it?

And Andy, who is my hero in these parts, actually compared the band's new record to Journey in the latest Paste. Um, what?! I guess he thinks their songs are a little too anthemic these days (It might come close on "Lien on Your Dreams," but otherwise I can't hear it). Huh. I guess the biggest exception I take to this is the fact that no one else sounds like this band, and that their actual sound is certainly nothing like Journey. (Andy and I have already argued about this, so he's not getting blind-sided here, I'm just drawing the argument into a more public spectacle.)

I guess I just don't understand all the hate for this band lately. Personally, I am really enjoying the new album as much as any other BRMC release, even if it's not their greatest. There are still good things about it, and again I say -- no one else has this sound (right now). And it's a sound that I like I guess, maybe more than others do.

I've got tickets to see them in Detroit on the 25th. I can't think of another distorted-guitar band I'd rather see, aside from maybe Sisters of Mercy if they ever tour again. Seeing them live (and yes, it even feels perfect in this city) and dressing up in black and smoking and rocking and thanking God for the terrible times in which we live. Does it get any better than this?

brmc03.jpg

-s.

Edited by stef

opus   

As an aside, the Jesus & Mary Chain aren't all that dead. They recently reformed and have been doing a few festival gigs -- including a performance at Coachella with Scarlett Johansson.

Persona   
As an aside, the Jesus & Mary Chain aren't all that dead. They recently reformed and have been doing a few festival gigs -- including a performance at Coachella with Scarlett Johansson.

Stones aren't all that dead either.

You and your technicalities. <_<

-s.

I know you like these guys, stef. And I kinda like their first three albums. But I really, really don't like Baby 81. For me it's a huge disappointment. It strikes me as a parody of a hard rock record, except it's not remotely amusing. It's slick and hackneyed. And even though the BRMC boys strive mightily to rock, the rock seems stilted and artificial. It reminds me of the trainwreck that would ensue if, for example, I as a 51-year-old man with a hearing aid and a beer gut dressed in Spandex and cavorted around on stage and called myself Black Angus Crue. Actually, that might be kind of entertaining, or at least more entertaining than Baby 81, which features young studly guys who ought to be able to pull off this kind of crotch-grabbing theater, but who don't. Then there are the lyrics, which are usually full of cliches, and occasionally embarrassing. I would like to think that even Spinal Tap would have the good sense not to record a song like the bad-boy posturing of "666 Conducer."

Sorry. I think BRMC have the makings of a pretty good band. And they may be one yet. But they're not on their latest album.

Edited by Andy Whitman