Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A trivia question

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

From my trivia calendar:

What Hollywood legend holds the record for having directed the greatest number of actors and actresses in Oscar-winning performances?

I'll wait a few days to reveal the answer. You can post your guesses below.

Edited by Darrel Manson

Joel Schumacher

ETA:... er, I mean, William Wyler

Edited by Nick Alexander

Posted · Report post

Antoine Fuqua!

That's a name that people ought to invoke far more often than we actually do.

Posted · Report post

Elia Kazan

Posted · Report post

Y'know, my first guess -- at least if we stuck to my own lifetime -- was going to be either Clint Eastwood (who's racked up a few in the last little while) or Martin Scorsese (who has a reputation of alternating personal projects with work-for-hire projects designed to win Oscars for their leading actors: witness Paul Newman in The Color of Money or Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore; Leonardo DiCaprio in The Aviator was a similar kind of job, except that Leo did not actually win the award in the end -- although one of his co-stars did!).

But after checking the list of winners going back to the 1971 ceremonies (i.e. the first ceremonies that took place after I was born), I was kicking myself for not guessing Woody Allen.

Note, though, that Scorsese got five acting awards for Five Different Movies, whereas the list of winners for Allen and Eastwood both include at least one film that got two acting awards. In fact, Eastwood's five acting awards are for only THREE different movies. So Scorsese has the best spread, as it were.

Anyway, here's the list so far. I might try to do the first half of the Academy's history later.

- - -

FIVE

Woody Allen -- Diane Keaton (Annie Hall), Michael Caine (Hannah and Her Sisters), Dianne Wiest (Hannah and Her Sisters, Bullets over Broadway), Mira Sorvino (Mighty Aphrodite)

Clint Eastwood -- Gene Hackman (Unforgiven), Sean Penn (Mystic River), Tim Robbins (Mystic River), Hilary Swank (Million Dollar Baby), Morgan Freeman (Million Dollar Baby)

Martin Scorsese -- Ellen Burstyn (Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore), Robert De Niro (Raging Bull), Paul Newman (The Color of Money), Joe Pesci (Goodfellas), Cate Blanchett (The Aviator)

FOUR

Hal Ashby -- Lee Grant (Shampoo), Jon Voight (Coming Home), Jane Fonda (Coming Home), Melvyn Douglas (Being There)

James L. Brooks -- Jack Nicholson (Terms of Endearment, As Good As It Gets), Shirley Maclaine (Terms of Endearment), Helen Hunt (As Good As It Gets)

Jonathan Demme -- Mary Steenburgen (Melvin and Howard), Anthony Hopkins (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie Foster (Silence of the Lambs), Tom Hanks (Philadelphia)

Sidney Lumet -- Ingrid Bergman (Murder on the Orient Express), Peter Finch (Network), Faye Dunaway (Network), Beatrice Straight (Network)

THREE

Robert Benton -- Dustin Hoffman (Kramer Vs. Kramer), Meryl Streep (Kramer Vs. Kramer), Sally Field (Places in the Heart)

Peter Bogdanovich -- Ben Johnson (The Last Picture Show), Cloris Leachman (The Last Picture Show), Tatum O'Neal (Paper Moon)

Milos Forman -- Jack Nicholson (One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest), Louise Fletcher (One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest), F. Murray Abraham (Amadeus)

Alan J. Pakula -- Jane Fonda (Klute), Jason Robards (All the President's Men), Meryl Streep (Sophie's Choice)

Herbert Ross -- George Burns (The Sunshine Boys), Richard Dreyfuss (The Goodbye Girl), Maggie Smith (California Suite)

TWO

Bruce Beresford -- Robert Duvall (Tender Mercies), Jessica Tandy (Driving Miss Daisy)

Jane Campion -- Holly Hunter (The Piano), Anna Paquin (The Piano)

Francis Ford Coppola -- Marlon Brando (The Godfather), Robert De Niro (The Godfather Part II)

Bob Fosse -- Joel Grey (Cabaret), Liza Minnelli (Cabaret)

Taylor Hackford -- Louis Gossett Jr (An Officer and a Gentleman), Jamie Foxx (Ray)

Ron Howard -- Don Ameche (Cocoon), Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind)

Norman Jewison -- Cher (Moonstruck), Olympia Dukakis (Moonstruck)

David Lean -- John Mills (Ryan's Daughter), Peggy Ashcroft (A Passage to India)

John Madden -- Gwyneth Paltrow (Shakespeare in Love), Judi Dench (Shakespeare in Love)

James Mangold -- Angelina Jolie (Girl Interrupted), Reese Witherspoon (Walk the Line)

Anthony Minghella -- Juliette Binoche (The English Patient), Renee Zellweger (Cold Mountain)

Mark Rydell -- Henry Fonda (On Golden Pond), Katherine Hepburn (On Golden Pond)

Jim Sheridan -- Daniel Day-Lewis (My Left Foot), Brenda Fricker (My Left Foot)

Steven Soderbergh -- Julia Roberts (Erin Brockovich), Benicio Del Toro (Traffic)

Fred Zinneman -- Jason Robards (Julia), Vanessa Redgrave (Julia)

ONE

Michael Apted -- Sissy Spacek (Coal Miner's Daughter)

John G. Avildsen -- Jack Lemmon (Save the Tiger)

Richard Attenborough -- Ben Kingsley (Gandhi)

Hector Babenco -- William Hurt (Kiss of the Spider Woman)

Warren Beatty -- Maureen Stapleton (Reds)

Roberto Benigni -- Roberto Benigni (Life Is Beautiful)

Martin Brest -- Al Pacino (Scent of a Woman)

James Bridges -- John Houseman (The Paper Chase)

Tim Burton -- Martin Landau (Ed Wood)

Michael Cimino -- Christopher Walken (The Deer Hunter)

Joel & Ethan Coen -- Frances McDormand (Fargo)

Bill Condon -- Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)

Charles Crichton -- Kevin Kline (A Fish Called Wanda)

Cameron Crowe -- Cuba Gooding Jr (Jerry Maguire)

Stephen Daldry -- Nicole Kidman (The Hours)

Andrew Davis -- Tommy Lee Jones (The Fugitive)

Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris -- Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)

Brian De Palma -- Sean Connery (The Untouchables)

Richard Eyre -- Jim Broadbent (Iris)

Mike Figgis -- Nicolas Cage (Leaving Las Vegas)

Marc Forster -- Halle Berry (Monster's Ball)

Melvin Frank -- Glenda Jackson (A Touch of Class)

Stephen Frears -- Helen Mirren (The Queen)

William Friedkin -- Gene Hackman (The French Connection)

Antonie Fuqua -- Denzel Washington (Training Day)

Stephen Gaghan -- George Clooney (Syriana)

Terry Gilliam -- Mercedes Ruehl (The Fisher King)

Steve Gordon -- John Gielgud (Arthur)

Randa Haines -- Marlee Matlin (Children of a Lesser God)

Lasse Hallstrom -- Michael Caine (The Cider House Rules)

Curtis Hanson -- Kim Basinger (L.A. Confidential)

Ed Harris -- Marcia Gay Harden (Pollock)

Scott Hicks -- Geoffrey Rush (Shine)

John Huston -- Anjelica Huston (Prizzi's Honor)

James Ivory -- Emma Thompson (Howards End)

Patty Jenkins -- Charlize Theron (Monster)

Roland Joffe -- Haing S. Ngor (The Killing Fields)

Spike Jonze -- Chris Cooper (Adaptation)

Jonathan Kaplan -- Jodie Foster (The Accused)

Lawrence Kasdan -- Geena Davis (The Accidental Tourist)

Milton Katselas -- Eileen Heckart (Butterflies Are Free)

Barry Levinson -- Dustin Hoffman (Rain Man)

Jonathan Lynn -- Marisa Tomei (My Cousin Vinny)

Kevin Macdonald -- Forest Whitaker (The Last King of Scotland)

Rob Marshall -- Catherine Zeta-Jones (Chicago)

Peter Masterson -- Geraldine Page (The Trip to Bountiful)

Paul Mazursky -- Art Carney (Harry and Tonto)

Fernando Meirelles -- Rachel Weisz (The Constant Gardener)

Sam Mendes -- Kevin Spacey (American Beauty)

Bennett Miller -- Philip Seymour Hoffman (Capote)

Kimberly Peirce -- Hilary Swank (Boys Don't Cry)

Roman Polanski -- Adrien Brody (The Pianist)

Sydney Pollack -- Jessica Lange (Tootsie)

Robert Redford -- Timothy Hutton (Ordinary People)

Rob Reiner -- Kathy Bates (Misery)

Tony Richardson -- Jessica Lange (Blue Sky)

Martin Ritt -- Sally Field (Norma Rae)

Tim Robbins -- Susan Sarandon (Dead Man Walking)

Ken Russell -- Glenda Jackson (Women in Love)

Franklin J. Schaffner -- George C. Scott (Patton)

Paul Schrader -- James Coburn (Affliction)

Barbet Schroeder -- Jeremy Irons (Reversal of Fortune)

Ridley Scott -- Russell Crowe (Gladiator)

George Seaton -- Helen Hayes (Airport)

Bryan Singer -- Kevin Spacey (The Usual Suspects)

Oliver Stone -- Michael Douglas (Wall Street)

Ron Underwood -- Jack Palance (City Slickers)

Gus Van Sant -- Robin Williams (Good Will Hunting)

Peter Weir -- Linda Hunt (The Year of Living Dangerously)

Robert Zemeckis -- Tom Hanks (Forrest Gump)

Jerry Zucker -- Whoopi Goldberg (Ghost)

Edward Zwick -- Denzel Washington (Glory)

- - -

Or, to come at this a little differently:

- - -

5 AWARDS IN 5 FILMS -- Martin Scorsese

5 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- Woody Allen

5 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Clint Eastwood

4 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Hal Ashby, Jonathan Demme

4 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- James L. Brooks, Sidney Lumet

3 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Alan J. Pakula, Herbert Ross

3 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Robert Benton, Peter Bogdanovich, Milos Forman

2 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Bruce Beresford, Francis Ford Coppola, Taylor Hackford, Ron Howard, David Lean, James Mangold, Anthony Minghella, Steven Soderbergh (though both of Soderbergh's films came out in the same year)

2 AWARDS IN 1 FILM -- Jane Campion, Bob Fosse, Norman Jewison, John Madden, Mark Rydell, Jim Sheridan, Fred Zinneman

1 AWARD -- Michael Apted, John G. Avildsen, Richard Attenborough, Hector Babenco, Warren Beatty, Roberto Benigni, Martin Brest, James Bridges, Tim Burton, Michael Cimino, Joel & Ethan Coen, Bill Condon, Charles Crichton, Cameron Crowe, Stephen Daldry, Andrew Davis, Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, Brian De Palma, Richard Eyre, Mike Figgis, Marc Forster, Melvin Frank, Stephen Frears, William Friedkin, Antonie Fuqua, Stephen Gaghan, Terry Gilliam, Steve Gordon, Randa Haines, Lasse Hallstrom, Curtis Hanson, Ed Harris, Scott Hicks, John Huston, James Ivory, Patty Jenkins, Roland Joffe, Spike Jonze, Jonathan Kaplan, Lawrence Kasdan, Milton Katselas, Barry Levinson, Jonathan Lynn, Kevin Macdonald, Rob Marshall, Peter Masterson, Paul Mazursky, Fernando Meirelles, Sam Mendes, Bennett Miller, Kimberly Peirce, Roman Polanski, Sydney Pollack, Robert Redford, Rob Reiner, Tony Richardson, Martin Ritt, Tim Robbins, Ken Russell, Franklin J. Schaffner, Paul Schrader, Barbet Schroeder, Ridley Scott, George Seaton, Bryan Singer, Oliver Stone, Ron Underwood, Gus Van Sant, Peter Weir, Robert Zemeckis, Jerry Zucker, Edward Zwick

Posted · Report post

Peter, you are a rare and special human being.

Posted · Report post

Peter, you are a rare and special human being.

Well, now we know what Peter did from 3:40pm to 5:18pm EST.

Kazan has nine:

3 for Streetcar

2 for Waterfront

1 for East of Eden

1 for Viva Zapata

1 for Gentlemen's Agreement

1 for A Tree Grows in Brooklyn

And that's all within a 10-year stretch, from a guy who directed only 19 features in his career.

Edited by mrmando

Posted · Report post

I knew I'd get PTC on a roll. Where's Mr. List (Ron)? I thought he might jump in here too.

Posted · Report post

William Wyler, by my count, has fourteen.

And this didn't include Harold Russell's second win for the same performance.

COME AND GET IT (1936), Walter Brennan, (Supporting Actor)

JEZEBEL (1938), Bette Davis (Actress)

JEZEBEL (1938), Fay Bainter (Supporting Actress)

THE WESTERNER (1940), Walter Brennan (Supporting Actor)

MRS. MINIVER (1942), Greer Garson, (Actress)

MRS. MINIVER (1942), Teresa Wright, (Supporting Actress)

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946), Frederic March (Actor)

THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES (1946), Harold Russell (Supporting Actor & Special Award)

THE HEIRESS (1949), Olivia de Havilland (Actress)

ROMAN HOLIDAY (1953), Audrey Hepburn (Actress)

THE BIG COUNTRY (1958), Burl Ives (Supporting Actor)

BEN-HUR (1959), Charlton Heston, (Actor)

BEN-HUR (1959), Hugh Griffith, (Supporting Actor)

FUNNY GIRL (1968), Barbra Streisand, (Actress-tie)

Let's see if anybody else can top this.

Nick Alexander wrote:

: Well, now we know what Peter did from 3:40pm to 5:18pm EST.

Well, when I wasn't feeding the kids, yeah. I can't write actual articles when they're up and about, but I can track down data like this, bit by bit, with occasional interruptions. Methodical stuff like this doesn't require me to be in a "zone".

Anyway, here are the results for the years prior to my birth (i.e. from the late 1920s to 1970) -- though it gets a bit murky in spots.

First, some films had multiple directors. I have resolved not to count any of the directors that are clearly labelled "uncredited" at the IMDb, but that still leaves a few team-up jobs, and in the case of one film, I have made an exception even to THAT rule, because the film in question has no credited director at all (though the uncredited director IS credited as a "producer", so we might as well give him the directorial credit -- we're talking about a film made in the 1930s, when a lot of this stuff was still being fleshed out).

Second, in the very earliest year of the Oscars, a couple of actors were given awards for MULTIPLE films -- in other words, they got ONE award for work that they did with TWO directors on SEPARATE films (in one case, the actor worked on two films that had no directors in common, and in the other case, the actress worked on three films, two of which had the same director).

Third, for the first several years of the Oscars, there were no supporting-acting awards, so directors had less opportunities to claim a spot on this list.

And now, without any further ado, the list of directors up to 1970 -- and now that I see who the winner is, I find myself thinking, "Oh, right, duh, I think I've heard this before":

- - -

FOURTEEN

William Wyler -- Walter Brennan (Come and Get It, dir. with Howard Hawks and Richard Rosson), Bette Davis (Jezebel), Fay Bainter (Jezebel), Walter Brennan (The Westerner), Greer Garson (Mrs. Miniver), Teresa Wright (Mrs. Miniver), Fredric March (The Best Years of Our Lives), Harold Russell (The Best Years of Our Lives), Olivia de Havilland (The Heiress), Audrey Hepburn (Roman Holiday), Burl Ives (The Big Country), Charlton Heston (Ben-Hur), Hugh Griffith (Ben-Hur), Barbra Streisand (Funny Girl)

NINE

Elia Kazan -- James Dunn (A Tree Grows in Brooklyn), Celeste Holm (Gentleman's Agreement), Karl Malden (A Streetcar Named Desire), Vivien Leigh (A Streetcar Named Desire), Kim Hunter (A Streetcar Named Desire), Anthony Quinn (Viva Zapata!), Marlon Brando (On the Waterfront), Eva Marie Saint (On the Waterfront), Jo Van Fleet (East of Eden)

FIVE

George Cukor -- James Stewart (The Philadelphia Story), Ingrid Bergman (Gaslight), Ronald Colman (A Double Life), Judy Holliday (Born Yesterday), Rex Harrison (My Fair Lady)

John Ford -- Victor McLaglen (The Informer), Thomas Mitchell (Stagecoach), Jane Darwell (The Grapes of Wrath), Donald Crisp (How Green Was My Valley), Jack Lemmon (Mister Roberts, dir. with John Ford)

FOUR

Victor Fleming -- Emil Jannings (The Way of All Flesh, shared with Josef von Sternberg), Spencer Tracy (Captains Courageous), Vivien Leigh (Gone with the Wind), Hattie McDaniel (Gone with the Wind)

Fred Zinneman -- Gary Cooper (High Noon), Frank Sinatra (From Here to Eternity), Donna Reed (From Here to Eternity), Paul Scofield (A Man for All Seasons)

THREE

Richard Brooks -- Ed Begley (Sweet Bird of Youth), Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gantry), Shirley Jones (Elmer Gantry)

John Huston -- Walter Huston (The Treasure of the Sierra Madre), Claire Trevor (Key Largo), Humphrey Bogart (The African Queen)

Henry King -- Alice Brady (In Old Chicago), Jennifer Jones (The Song of Bernadette), Dean Jagger (Twelve O'Clock High)

Mervyn LeRoy -- Gale Sondergaard (Anthony Adverse), Van Heflin (Johnny Eager), Jack Lemmon (Mister Roberts, dir. with John Ford)

Daniel Mann -- Shirley Booth (Come Back Little Sheba), Anna Magnani (The Rose Tattoo), Elizabeth Taylor (Butterfield 8)

Delbert Mann -- Ernest Borgnine (Marty), David Niven (Separate Tables), Wendy Hiller (Separate Tables)

Arthur Penn -- Anne Bancroft (The Miracle Worker), Patty Duke (The Miracle Worker), Estelle Parsons (Bonnie and Clyde)

Billy Wilder -- Ray Milland (The Lost Weekend), William Holden (Stalag 17), Walter Matthau (The Fortune Cookie)

Robert Wise -- Susan Hayward (I Want to Live!), George Chakiris (West Side Story, dir. with Jerome Robbins), Rita Moreno (West Side Story, dir. with Jerome Robbins)

Sam Wood -- Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr Chips), Ginger Rogers (Kitty Foyle: The Natural History of a Woman), Katina Paxinou (For Whom the Bell Tolls)

TWO

Clarence Brown -- Lionel Barrymore (A Free Soul), Anne Revere (National Velvet)

Frank Capra -- Clark Gable (It Happened One Night), Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night)

Michael Curtiz -- James Cagney (Yankee Doodle Dandy), Joan Crawford (Mildred Pierce)

William Dieterle -- Paul Muni (The Story of Louis Pasteur), Joseph Schildkraut (The Life of Emile Zola)

Edmund Goulding -- Mary Astor (The Great Lie), Anne Baxter (The Razor's Edge)

Alfred E. Green -- George Arliss (Disraeli), Bette Davis (Dangerous)

Howard Hawks -- Walter Brennan (Come and Get It, dir. with Richard Rosson and William Wyler), Gary Cooper (Sergeant York)

Stanley Kramer -- Maximillian Schell (Judgment at Nuremberg), Katherine Hepburn (Guess Who's Coming to Dinner)

Robert Z. Leonard -- Norma Shearer (The Divorcee), Luise Rainer (The Great Ziegfield)

Joshua Logan -- Red Buttons (Sayonara), Miyoshi Umeki (Sayonara)

Joseph L. Mankiewicz -- George Sanders (All about Eve), Edmond O'Brien (The Barefoot Contessa)

Leo McCarey -- Bing Crosby (Going My Way), Barry Fitzgerald (Going My Way)

Vincente Minelli -- Gloria Grahame (The Bad and the Beautiful), Anthony Quinn (Lust for Life)

Ralph Nelson -- Sidney Poitier (Lilies of the Field), Cliff Robertson (Charly)

Mike Nichols -- Elizabeth Taylor (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?), Sandy Dennis (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?)

Martin Ritt -- Melvyn Douglas (Hud), Patricia Neal (Hud)

Jerome Robbins -- George Chakiris (West Side Story, dir. with Robert Wise), Rita Moreno (West Side Story, dir. with Robert Wise)

Robert Rossen -- Broderick Crawford (All the King's Men), Mercedes McCambridge (All the King's Men)

George Seaton -- Edmund Gwenn (Miracle on 34th Street), Grace Kelly (The Country Girl)

George Stevens -- Charles Coburn (The More the Merrier), Shelley Winters (The Diary of Anne Frank)

ONE

Anthony Asquith -- Margaret Rutherford (The V.I.P.s)

Frank Borzage -- Janet Gaynor (Seventh Heaven, Street Angel, shared with F.W. Murnau)

David Butler -- Walter Brennan (Kentucky)

Jack Clayton -- Simone Signoret (Room at the Top)

Fred Coe -- Martin Balsam (A Thousand Clowns)

Irving Cummings -- Warner Baxter (In Old Arizona)

Jules Dassin -- Peter Ustinov (Topkapi)

Vittorio De Sica -- Sophia Loren (Two Women)

Sidney Franklin -- Luise Rainer (The Good Earth)

Michael Gordon -- Jose Ferrer (Cyrano de Bergerac)

Guy Green -- Shelley Winters (A Patch of Blue)

Ulu Grosbard -- Jack Albertson (The Subject Was Roses)

Anthony Harvey -- Katherine Hepburn (The Lion in Winter)

Henry Hathaway -- John Wayne (True Grit)

George W. Hill -- Marie Dressler (Min and Bill)

Alfred Hitchcock -- Joan Fontaine (Suspicion)

Norman Jewison -- Rod Steiger (In the Heat of the Night)

Nunnally Johnson -- Joanne Woodward (The Three Faces of Eve)

Mihalis Kakogiannis -- Lila Kedrova (Zorba the Greek)

Alexander Korda -- Charles Laughton (The Private Life of Henry VIII)

Henry Koster -- Josephine Hull (Harvey)

Stanley Kubrick -- Peter Ustinov (Spartacus)

Walter Lang -- Yul Brynner (The King and I)

David Lean -- Alec Guinness (Bridge on the River Kwai)

Mitchell Leisen -- Olivia de Havilland (To Each His Own)

Anatole Litvak -- Ingrid Bergman (Anastasia)

Rouben Mamoulian -- Fredric March (Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde)

Robert Mulligan -- Gregory Peck (To Kill a Mockingbird)

F.W. Murnau -- Janet Gaynor (Sunrise: A Song of Two Humans, shared with Frank Borzage)

Ronald Neame -- Maggie Smith (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie)

Jean Negulesco -- Jane Wyman (Johnny Belinda)

Clifford Odets -- Ethel Barrymore (None But the Lonely Heart)

Laurence Olivier -- Laurence Olivier (Hamlet)

Roman Polanski -- Ruth Gordon (Rosemary's Baby)

Sydney Pollack -- Gig Young (They Shoot Horses, Don't They?)

H.C. Potter -- Loretta Young (The Farmer's Daughter)

Stuart Rosenberg -- George Kennedy (Cool Hand Luke)

Richard Rosson -- Walter Brennan (Come and Get It, dir. with Howard Hawks and William Wyler)

Gene Saks -- Goldie Hawn (Cactus Flower)

John Schlesinger -- Julie Christie (Darling)

Edgar Selwyn -- Helen Hayes (The Sin of Madelon Claudet)

Lowell Sherman -- Katherine Hepburn (Morning Glory)

Herman Shumlin -- Paul Lukas (Watch on the Rhine)

Elliot Silverstein -- Lee Marvin (Cat Ballou)

Douglas Sirk -- Dorothy Malone (Written on the Wind)

Robert Stevenson -- Julie Andrews (Mary Poppins)

Norman Taurog -- Spencer Tracy (Boys Town)

Sam Taylor -- Mary Pickford (Coquette)

King Vidor -- Wallace Beery (The Champ)

Josef von Sternberg -- Emil Jannings (The Last Command, shared with Victor Fleming)

- - -

Or, to come at this a little differently:

- - -

14 AWARDS IN 10 FILMS -- William Wyler

9 AWARDS IN 6 FILMS -- Elia Kazan

5 AWARDS IN 5 FILMS -- George Cukor, John Ford

4 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Victor Fleming, Fred Zinneman

3 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- John Huston, Henry King, Mervyn LeRoy, Daniel Mann, Billy Wilder, Sam Wood

3 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Richard Brooks, Delbert Mann, Arthur Penn, Robert Wise

2 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Clarence Brown, Michael Curtiz, William Dieterle, Edmund Goulding, Alfred E. Green, Howard Hawks, Stanley Kramer, Robert Z. Leonard, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Vincente Minelli, Ralph Nelson, George Seaton, George Stevens

2 AWARDS IN 1 FILM -- Frank Capra, Joshua Logan, Leo McCarey, Mike Nichols, Martin Ritt, Jerome Robbins, Robert Rossen

1 AWARD -- Anthony Asquith, Frank Borzage, David Butler, Jack Clayton, Fred Coe, Irving Cummings, Jules Dassin, Vittorio De Sica, Sidney Franklin, Michael Gordon, Guy Green, Ulu Grosbard, Anthony Harvey, Henry Hathaway, George W. Hill, Alfred Hitchcock, Norman Jewison, Nunnally Johnson, Mihalis Kakogiannis, Alexander Korda, Henry Koster, Stanley Kubrick, Walter Lang, David Lean, Mitchell Leisen, Anatole Litvak, Rouben Mamoulian, Robert Mulligan, F.W. Murnau, Ronald Neame, Jean Negulesco, Clifford Odets, Laurence Olivier, Roman Polanski, Sydney Pollack, H.C. Potter, Stuart Rosenberg, Richard Rosson, Gene Saks, John Schlesinger, Edgar Selwyn, Lowell Sherman, Herman Shumlin, Elliot Silverstein, Douglas Sirk, Robert Stevenson, Norman Taurog, Sam Taylor, King Vidor, Josef von Sternberg,

- - -

And now, to combine the two eras (with directors who appear in both eras bolded):

- - -

6 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- Fred Zinneman

5 AWARDS IN 5 FILMS -- George Cukor, John Ford, Martin Scorsese

5 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- Woody Allen

4 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- John Huston

4 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Hal Ashby, Jonathan Demme, Victor Fleming

3 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Henry King, David Lean, Mervyn LeRoy, Daniel Mann, Alan J. Pakula, Herbert Ross, George Seaton, Billy Wilder, Sam Wood

3 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Robert Benton, Peter Bogdanovich, Richard Brooks, Milos Forman, Norman Jewison, Delbert Mann, Arthur Penn, Martin Ritt, Robert Wise

2 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Bruce Beresford, Clarence Brown, Francis Ford Coppola, Michael Curtiz, William Dieterle, Edmund Goulding, Alfred E. Green, Taylor Hackford, Howard Hawks, Ron Howard, Stanley Kramer, Robert Z. Leonard, James Mangold, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Vincente Minelli, Anthony Minghella, Ralph Nelson, Roman Polanski, Sydney Pollack, Steven Soderbergh, George Stevens

2 AWARDS IN 1 FILM -- Jane Campion, Frank Capra, Bob Fosse, Joshua Logan, John Madden, Leo McCarey, Mike Nichols, Jerome Robbins, Robert Rossen, Mark Rydell, Jim Sheridan

1 AWARD -- Michael Apted, Anthony Asquith, Richard Attenborough, John G. Avildsen, Hector Babenco, Warren Beatty, Roberto Benigni, Frank Borzage, Martin Brest, James Bridges, David Butler, Tim Burton, Michael Cimino, Jack Clayton, Fred Coe, Joel & Ethan Coen, Bill Condon, Charles Crichton, Cameron Crowe, Irving Cummings, Stephen Daldry, Jules Dassin, Andrew Davis, Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, Brian De Palma, Vittorio De Sica, Richard Eyre, Mike Figgis, Marc Forster, Melvin Frank, Sidney Franklin, Stephen Frears, William Friedkin, Antoine Fuqua, Stephen Gaghan, Terry Gilliam, Michael Gordon, Steve Gordon, Guy Green, Ulu Grosbard, Randa Haines, Lasse Hallstrom, Curtis Hanson, Ed Harris, Anthony Harvey, Henry Hathaway, Scott Hicks, George W. Hill, Alfred Hitchcock, James Ivory, Patty Jenkins, Roland Joffe, Nunnally Johnson, Spike Jonze, Mihalis Kakogiannis, Jonathan Kaplan, Lawrence Kasdan, Milton Katselas, Alexander Korda, Henry Koster, Stanley Kubrick, Walter Lang, Mitchell Leisen, Barry Levinson, Anatole Litvak, Jonathan Lynn, Kevin Macdonald, Rouben Mamoulian, Rob Marshall, Peter Masterson, Paul Mazursky, Fernando Meirelles, Sam Mendes, Bennett Miller, Robert Mulligan, F.W. Murnau, Ronald Neame, Jean Negulesco, Clifford Odets, Laurence Olivier, Kimberly Peirce, H.C. Potter, Robert Redford, Rob Reiner, Tony Richardson, Tim Robbins, Stuart Rosenberg, Richard Rosson, Ken Russell, Gene Saks, Franklin J. Schaffner, John Schlesinger, Paul Schrader, Barbet Schroeder, Ridley Scott, Edgar Selwyn, Lowell Sherman, Herman Shumlin, Elliot Silverstein, Bryan Singer, Douglas Sirk, Robert Stevenson, Oliver Stone, Norman Taurog, Sam Taylor, Ron Underwood, Gus Van Sant, King Vidor, Josef von Sternberg, Peter Weir, Robert Zemeckis, Jerry Zucker, Edward Zwick

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Posted · Report post

A few trivia points occur to me.

Steve Soderbergh and John Huston are the only directors I noticed who directed two Oscar-winning performances in two different films in the same year (Soderbergh: Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich and Benicio Del Toro in Traffic, both in 2000; Huston: Walter Huston in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre and Claire Trevor in Key Largo, both in 1948).

Huston also has the distinction of being the only director to direct his own relatives to Academy Awards: his father Walter, in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre (1948), and his daughter Anjelica, in Prizzi's Honor (1985).

And unless I'm mistaken, Laurence Olivier and Roberto Benigni are the only directors to direct THEMSELVES to the Academy Award (for 1948's Hamlet and 1998's Life Is Beautiful, respectively).

Posted · Report post

Okay Peter, or anybody...

How about directors with most writing Oscars for films they've directed (adapted or original).

With the actor thing it might tell us who's good at bringing out the best in their cast. With the writer thing it tells us, who can create something beautiful out of something that was already beautiful, or maybe... who most successfully stays out of the way of great writing.

Just a thought.

Posted · Report post

Wyler is the correct answer. He won 3 Oscars himself in 15 nominations for 12 films.

Posted · Report post

What I didn't realize until now is that Peter's birth marks a new era in filmmaking.

Posted · Report post

Dang, Peter, if this critic thing stops paying the bills (twins, and all), let me know if you ever want to work in market research.

There are only three director/actor pairings who won repeat Oscars:

Allen/Wiest

Brooks/Nicholson

Wyler/Brennan

Edited by mrmando

Posted · Report post

FWIW, here is the list of directors who have made at least 2 films that won acting awards, ranked by the gap in years between their first acting-award-winning film and their last acting-award-winning film.

37 years -- John Huston (1948-1985, 4 awards in 4 films)

34 years -- Roman Polanski (1968-2002, 2 awards)

32 years -- William Wyler (1936-1968, 14 awards in 10 films)

30 years -- Martin Scorsese (1974-2004, 5 awards in 5 films)

27 years -- David Lean (1957-1984, 3 awards in 3 films)

25 years -- Fred Zinneman (1952-1977, 6 awards in 4 films)

24 years -- George Cukor (1940-1964, 5 awards in 5 films)

23 years -- George Seaton (1947-1970, 3 awards in 3 films)

22 years -- Taylor Hackford (1982-2004, 2 awards)

21 years -- Billy Wilder (1945-1966, 3 awards in 3 films)

20 years -- Norman Jewison (1967-1987, 3 awards in 2 films)

20 years -- John Ford (1935-1955, 5 awards in 5 films)

19 years -- Mervyn LeRoy (1936-1955, 3 awards in 3 films)

18 years -- Woody Allen (1977-1995, 5 awards in 4 films)

16 years -- Ron Howard (1985-2001, 2 awards)

16 years -- Martin Ritt (1963-1979, 3 awards in 2 films)

16 years -- George Stevens (1943-1959, 2 awards)

14 years -- James L. Brooks (1983-1997, 4 awards in 2 films)

13 years -- Jonathan Demme (1980-1993, 4 awards in 3 films)

13 years -- Sydney Pollack (1969-1982, 2 awards)

13 years -- Clarence Brown (1931-1944, 2 awards)

12 years -- Clint Eastwood (1992-2004, 5 awards in 3 films)

12 years -- Henry King (1937-1949, 3 awards in 3 films)

12 years -- Victor Fleming (1927-1939, 4 awards in 3 films)

11 years -- Alan J. Pakula (1971-1982, 3 awards in 3 films)

10 years -- Elia Kazan (1945-1955, 9 awards in 6 films)

9 years -- Milos Forman (1975-1984, 3 awards in 2 films)

8 years -- Daniel Mann (1952-1960, 3 awards in 3 films)

7 years -- Anthony Minghella (1996-2003, 2 awards)

6 years -- James Mangold (1999-2005, 2 awards)

6 years -- Bruce Beresford (1983-1989, 2 awards)

6 years -- Stanley Kramer (1961-1967, 2 awards)

6 years -- Robert Z. Leonard (1930-1936, 2 awards)

6 years -- Alfred E. Green (1929-1935, 2 awards)

5 years -- Robert Benton (1979-1984, 3 awards in 2 films)

5 years -- Ralph Nelson (1963-1968, 2 awards)

5 years -- Arthur Penn (1962-1967, 3 awards in 2 films)

5 years -- Edmund Goulding (1941-1946, 2 awards)

5 years -- Howard Hawks (1936-1941, 2 awards)

4 years -- Hal Ashby (1975-1979, 4 awards in 3 films)

4 years -- Vincente Minelli (1952-1956, 2 awards)

4 years -- Joseph L. Mankiewicz (1950-1954, 2 awards)

4 years -- Sam Wood (1939-1943, 3 awards in 3 films)

3 years -- Herbert Ross (1975-1978, 3 awards in 3 films)

3 years -- Robert Wise (1958-1961, 3 awards in 2 films)

3 years -- Delbert Mann (1955-1958, 3 awards in 2 films)

3 years -- Michael Curtiz (1942-1945, 2 awards)

2 years -- Sidney Lumet (1974-1976, 4 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- Francis Ford Coppola (1972-1974, 2 awards)

2 years -- Peter Bogdanovich (1971-1973, 3 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- Richard Brooks (1960-1962, 3 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- William Dieterle (1935-1937, 2 awards)

0 years -- Steven Soderbergh (2000, 2 awards)

Posted · Report post

For no particular reason, here's an update that takes into account the winners who were announced in 2008, 2009 and 2010:

ONE

Woody Allen -- Penelope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona)

Paul Thomas Anderson -- Daniel Day-Lewis (There Will Be Blood)

Joel & Ethan Coen -- Javier Bardem (No Country for Old Men)

Scott Cooper -- Jeff Bridges (Crazy Heart)

Olivier Dahan -- Marion Cotillard (La Vie en Rose)

Stephen Daldry -- Kate Winslet (The Reader)

Lee Daniels -- Mo'Nique (Precious)

Tony Gilroy -- Tilda Swinton (Michael Clayton)

John Lee Hancock -- Sandra Bullock (The Blind Side)

Christopher Nolan -- Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight)

Quentin Tarantino -- Christoph Waltz (Inglouious Basterds)

Gus Van Sant -- Sean Penn (Milk)

- - -

And now here's an updated version of the list for the Academy's entire history (with the changed results in bold):

- - -

6 AWARDS IN 5 FILMS -- Woody Allen

6 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- Fred Zinneman

5 AWARDS IN 5 FILMS -- George Cukor, John Ford, Martin Scorsese

4 AWARDS IN 4 FILMS -- John Huston

4 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Hal Ashby, Jonathan Demme, Victor Fleming

3 AWARDS IN 3 FILMS -- Henry King, David Lean, Mervyn LeRoy, Daniel Mann, Alan J. Pakula, Herbert Ross, George Seaton, Billy Wilder, Sam Wood

3 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Robert Benton, Peter Bogdanovich, Richard Brooks, Milos Forman, Norman Jewison, Delbert Mann, Arthur Penn, Martin Ritt, Robert Wise

2 AWARDS IN 2 FILMS -- Bruce Beresford, Clarence Brown, Joel & Ethan Coen, Francis Ford Coppola, Michael Curtiz, Stephen Daldry, William Dieterle, Edmund Goulding, Alfred E. Green, Taylor Hackford, Howard Hawks, Ron Howard, Stanley Kramer, Robert Z. Leonard, James Mangold, Joseph L. Mankiewicz, Vincente Minelli, Anthony Minghella, Ralph Nelson, Roman Polanski, Sydney Pollack, Steven Soderbergh, George Stevens, Gus Van Sant

2 AWARDS IN 1 FILM -- Jane Campion, Frank Capra, Bob Fosse, Joshua Logan, John Madden, Leo McCarey, Mike Nichols, Jerome Robbins, Robert Rossen, Mark Rydell, Jim Sheridan

1 AWARD -- Paul Thomas Anderson, Michael Apted, Anthony Asquith, Richard Attenborough, John G. Avildsen, Hector Babenco, Warren Beatty, Roberto Benigni, Frank Borzage, Martin Brest, James Bridges, David Butler, Tim Burton, Michael Cimino, Jack Clayton, Fred Coe, Bill Condon, Scott Cooper, Charles Crichton, Cameron Crowe, Irving Cummings, Olivier Dahan, Lee Daniels, Jules Dassin, Andrew Davis, Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, Brian De Palma, Vittorio De Sica, Richard Eyre, Mike Figgis, Marc Forster, Melvin Frank, Sidney Franklin, Stephen Frears, William Friedkin, Antoine Fuqua, Stephen Gaghan, Terry Gilliam, Tony Gilroy, Michael Gordon, Steve Gordon, Guy Green, Ulu Grosbard, Randa Haines, Lasse Hallstrom, John Lee Hancock, Curtis Hanson, Ed Harris, Anthony Harvey, Henry Hathaway, Scott Hicks, George W. Hill, Alfred Hitchcock, James Ivory, Patty Jenkins, Roland Joffe, Nunnally Johnson, Spike Jonze, Mihalis Kakogiannis, Jonathan Kaplan, Lawrence Kasdan, Milton Katselas, Alexander Korda, Henry Koster, Stanley Kubrick, Walter Lang, Mitchell Leisen, Barry Levinson, Anatole Litvak, Jonathan Lynn, Kevin Macdonald, Rouben Mamoulian, Rob Marshall, Peter Masterson, Paul Mazursky, Fernando Meirelles, Sam Mendes, Bennett Miller, Robert Mulligan, F.W. Murnau, Ronald Neame, Jean Negulesco, Christopher Nolan, Clifford Odets, Laurence Olivier, Kimberly Peirce, H.C. Potter, Robert Redford, Rob Reiner, Tony Richardson, Tim Robbins, Stuart Rosenberg, Richard Rosson, Ken Russell, Gene Saks, Franklin J. Schaffner, John Schlesinger, Paul Schrader, Barbet Schroeder, Ridley Scott, Edgar Selwyn, Lowell Sherman, Herman Shumlin, Elliot Silverstein, Bryan Singer, Douglas Sirk, Robert Stevenson, Oliver Stone, Quentin Tarantino, Norman Taurog, Sam Taylor, Ron Underwood, King Vidor, Josef von Sternberg, Peter Weir, Robert Zemeckis, Jerry Zucker, Edward Zwick

- - -

The most significant development here would be the fact that Woody Allen, who used to be in 7th place, has now vaulted into 3rd place, based on the one award that Penelope Cruz won. The only directors ahead of him, now, are William Wyler and Elia Kazan -- and they are SO far ahead of him that, unless one of Scorsese's actors wins an award in the near future, it seems a safe bet Woody will stay in 3rd place for some time.

Posted · Report post

FWIW, and updating another post in this thread, here is the list of directors who have made at least 2 films that won acting awards, ranked by the gap in years between their first acting-award-winning film and their last acting-award-winning film. (The names that have changed are in bold.)

37 years -- John Huston (1948-1985, 4 awards in 4 films)

34 years -- Roman Polanski (1968-2002, 2 awards)

32 years -- William Wyler (1936-1968, 14 awards in 10 films)

31 years -- Woody Allen (1977-2008, 6 awards in 5 films)

30 years -- Martin Scorsese (1974-2004, 5 awards in 5 films)

27 years -- David Lean (1957-1984, 3 awards in 3 films)

25 years -- Fred Zinneman (1952-1977, 6 awards in 4 films)

24 years -- George Cukor (1940-1964, 5 awards in 5 films)

23 years -- George Seaton (1947-1970, 3 awards in 3 films)

22 years -- Taylor Hackford (1982-2004, 2 awards)

21 years -- Billy Wilder (1945-1966, 3 awards in 3 films)

20 years -- Norman Jewison (1967-1987, 3 awards in 2 films)

20 years -- John Ford (1935-1955, 5 awards in 5 films)

19 years -- Mervyn LeRoy (1936-1955, 3 awards in 3 films)

16 years -- Ron Howard (1985-2001, 2 awards)

16 years -- Martin Ritt (1963-1979, 3 awards in 2 films)

16 years -- George Stevens (1943-1959, 2 awards)

14 years -- James L. Brooks (1983-1997, 4 awards in 2 films)

13 years -- Jonathan Demme (1980-1993, 4 awards in 3 films)

13 years -- Sydney Pollack (1969-1982, 2 awards)

13 years -- Clarence Brown (1931-1944, 2 awards)

12 years -- Clint Eastwood (1992-2004, 5 awards in 3 films)

12 years -- Henry King (1937-1949, 3 awards in 3 films)

12 years -- Victor Fleming (1927-1939, 4 awards in 3 films)

11 years -- Gus Van Sant (1997-2008, 2 awards)

11 years -- Joel & Ethan Coen (1996-2007, 2 awards)

11 years -- Alan J. Pakula (1971-1982, 3 awards in 3 films)

10 years -- Elia Kazan (1945-1955, 9 awards in 6 films)

9 years -- Milos Forman (1975-1984, 3 awards in 2 films)

8 years -- Daniel Mann (1952-1960, 3 awards in 3 films)

7 years -- Anthony Minghella (1996-2003, 2 awards)

6 years -- Stephen Daldry (2002-2008, 2 awards)

6 years -- James Mangold (1999-2005, 2 awards)

6 years -- Bruce Beresford (1983-1989, 2 awards)

6 years -- Stanley Kramer (1961-1967, 2 awards)

6 years -- Robert Z. Leonard (1930-1936, 2 awards)

6 years -- Alfred E. Green (1929-1935, 2 awards)

5 years -- Robert Benton (1979-1984, 3 awards in 2 films)

5 years -- Ralph Nelson (1963-1968, 2 awards)

5 years -- Arthur Penn (1962-1967, 3 awards in 2 films)

5 years -- Edmund Goulding (1941-1946, 2 awards)

5 years -- Howard Hawks (1936-1941, 2 awards)

4 years -- Hal Ashby (1975-1979, 4 awards in 3 films)

4 years -- Vincente Minelli (1952-1956, 2 awards)

4 years -- Joseph L. Mankiewicz (1950-1954, 2 awards)

4 years -- Sam Wood (1939-1943, 3 awards in 3 films)

3 years -- Herbert Ross (1975-1978, 3 awards in 3 films)

3 years -- Robert Wise (1958-1961, 3 awards in 2 films)

3 years -- Delbert Mann (1955-1958, 3 awards in 2 films)

3 years -- Michael Curtiz (1942-1945, 2 awards)

2 years -- Sidney Lumet (1974-1976, 4 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- Francis Ford Coppola (1972-1974, 2 awards)

2 years -- Peter Bogdanovich (1971-1973, 3 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- Richard Brooks (1960-1962, 3 awards in 2 films)

2 years -- William Dieterle (1935-1937, 2 awards)

0 years -- Steven Soderbergh (2000, 2 awards)

Posted · Report post

Just in case anyone's curious, here are the directors who stand to be added to the list this year, or to see their rank rise, when the winners are announced two weeks from today:

Veterans who may rise in the ranks:

2 nominations -- Joel & Ethan Coen, True Grit -- already have 2 acting awards going back to 1996

Newcomers:

3 nominations -- Tom Hooper, The King's Speech

2 nominations -- Lisa Cholodenko, The Kids Are All Right

2 nominations -- Debra Granik, Winter's Bone

2 nominations -- David O. Russell, The Fighter (actually *3* nominations, but only in 2 categories)

1 nomination -- Ben Affleck, The Town

1 nomination -- Darren Aronofsky, Black Swan

1 nomination -- Danny Boyle, 127 Hours

1 nomination -- Derek Cianfrance, Blue Valentine

1 nomination -- David Fincher, The Social Network

1 nomination -- Alejandro González Iñárritu, Biutiful

1 nomination -- David Michôd, Animal Kingdom

1 nomination -- John Cameron Mitchell, Rabbit Hole