Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Overstreet

Topics/titles for next Flickerings (apologies to Mike H)

9 posts in this topic

I know it's way too early, and Mike H is the legendary... um... I mean... he's the head honcho on this Cornerstone film program, so anything discussed here is purely speculative unless he says so.

But I so enjoyed this year's focus on Dogma filmmaking that I'm eager to consider themes and titles for next year's programs. Sure, he'll probably want to focus on titles that are released this year, but last week's program included some titles from as much as three years ago, so I assume the same flexibility would be in action again.

Any ideas out there?

How about "Being Different": We could focus on films about people suffer from alienation and persecution, and discuss the difference between being born different and behaving differently. Titles could include films about the minority experience, or even a comic book title like X2 (to draw a larger audience in and then persuade them to stay for something more obscure.)

Or we could focus on metaphor... on how we see. Punchdrunk Love and Magnolia use complex networks of symbols and repeated terms. Kieslowski's films are rich with visual metaphor. We could discuss how symbolism can be used without being used heavy-handedly... this would be a natural extension of this year's discussions.

If they couldn't handle the brief nude scene in The Celebration, there's no way they'd be able to handle the onslaught of profanity in Magnolia. Don't get me wrong, i have grown to love that film as one of the closest to my heart from last decade. However, it brings new meaning to the word "laced."

Having just finished a review of Ordet, i think it may be the most important film that mainstream audiences, particularly Christian, haven't seen. Most of what i perceive as the modern day church is so stale and mediocre that the reality depicted in that film would be a jolt to us all. It shows a faith that's more powerful than the kind that just wants a place to hang out with on Sundays with like-minded friends.

-s.

: If they couldn't handle the brief nude scene in The Celebration,

: there's no way they'd be able to handle the onslaught of profanity in

: Magnolia.

Regardless, there were also two nude scenes in Magnolia, so I think it's fair to scratch that out.

Apparently, mike_h_et_al decided on the Dogme idea for this year the day after last Cornerstone, so I suspect this may be a moot point. It's still fun to what-if, however, so for the day when I am rich enough to buy out Cornerstone, here will be the oh-so-clever topics:

First Person:

Cast Away (Zemeckis)

Mr. Death (Morris)

The Truman Show (Weir)

My Dinner With Andr

How about "Acting as Another"

Exploring concepts of personhood in text and film by analyzing narratives that deal with someone pretending to be someone they aren't. I am sure there are a lot of good films out there about this.

(But to be honest, I was trying to come up with a way I could say this:)

And we could invite the honorary Donald Napolean Sprim to be the narcissistically sagacious guest lecturer!

The parenthentical M:

: How about "Acting as Another"...Exploring concepts of personhood in

: text and film by analyzing narratives that deal with someone pretending

: to be someone they aren't. I am sure there are a lot of good films out

: there about this.

There are, there are. In fact, a number of them are listed right here. (It's slightly more broad a topic than your suggestion, but.) Further, A Moment of Innocence, The Truman Show and In the Mood for Love from my above lists fall into the category. I like it.

: And we could invite the honorary Donald Napolean Sprim to be the

: narcissistically sagacious guest lecturer!

Through his agent, D.N. Sprim requests a $2000 honorarium and a plane ticket to Elba.

Dale

mike_h: Welcome back, we all loved the program, it was great meeting you, hope your suggestion box got more full, we are all jealous of you for getting to program a film festival, etc. Now then:

: I

Mike-

All or Nothing was brilliant and you'd still be ahead of the mainstream audiences with that choice.

But it does have nudity.

Dale