Sign in to follow this  
Michael Elliott

Bible Study Programs

I was wondering what Bible study computer programs you all might be using. I, for years, used QuickVerse until later upgrades left me disappointed.

I ask because Tyndale House has contracted me to write 1000 reviews for their iLumina software package. They will be included in their next upgrade, iLumina Pro, which will be released next fall. My understanding of the application is that while working with the program, if the user comes across a verse that I reference in one of my reviews, a link will appear that will take him to that review for a cultural illustration of the biblical truth or principle in practice. There will also be a topical index that the user can access if he/she is looking for an illustration for a specific topic.

I'm excited about what this particular program offers and wondered if anyone is currently using the iLumina product (either the basic or gold versions)

I'm not familiar with iLumina, so I can't be of any use. However, the project you've been given is intriguing--a great tool for people interested in the intersection of faith and pop culture. I'm sure you'll be great for this.

Two questions:

-is this project public knowledge? Should we avoid "spreading the word"?

-Are these going to be reviews of Hollywood films, or are 'Christian' programs included? Specifically, do you need to include reviews of any of Tyndale's projects (such as McGee and Me or Last Chance Detectives)?

(Okay, I know that's more than 2 questions...)

Two questions:

-is this project public knowledge? Should we avoid \"spreading the word\"?

-Are these going to be reviews of Hollywood films, or are 'Christian' programs included? Specifically, do you need to include reviews of any of Tyndale's projects (such as McGee and Me or Last Chance Detectives)?

With Tyndale's permission, I announced this project recently on my televised year end wrap up of the best family films of 2003 so consider it public knowledge and tell whoever you would like.

I'm providing reviews of Hollywood films (with a handful of well known "Christian films" that have received wide theatrical distribution - Left Behind, The Omega Code, etc.).

They've given me a free hand in chosing which films to review - I provided them with a list and they didn't reject a one. Rating-wise, they run the gamut from G (The Absent-Minded Professor) to R (Witness).

I'm almost finished - have about 180 more to write

Cool Project, sounds like a great tool for pastors w/ illustrations. Are they considering getting the rights to actual put movie clips in the application? In any case, I'll my church's pastoral staff in on it.

They're still working with the logistics of it. Don't know if they are getting the rights to include clips or not. I suggested it. I assume it's a financial decision.

I believe they plan to market this edition to pastors, ministers, Sunday school teachers, etc.

Michael Elliott wrote:

: Rating-wise, they run the gamut from G (The Absent-Minded Professor)

: to R (Witness).

Well, Witness was rated PG where I live, so it's obviously not the most R-like of R-ish films. smile.gif

Well, Witness was rated PG where I live, so it's obviously not the most R-like of R-ish films.  :)

Ok... other MPAA R rated offerings will include:

Amadeus

Braveheart

The Big Chill

Blade Runner

The Ghost and the Darkness

and more...

Not that this is a selling point necessarily. I mentioned it only as a reference. Witness was the last R rated film I had listed in my alphabetical listing (and Absent Minded Professor was the first G rated film). A to W... It may not have been the best example of the range being offered.

Michael Elliott wrote:

: Ok... other MPAA R rated offerings will include:

: Amadeus

Was Amadeus really rated R? Even in 1984, when the shorter version came out? (I have not yet seen the longer version.)

: Witness was the last R rated film I had listed in my alphabetical listing

: (and Absent Minded Professor was the first G rated film). A to W...

Ah, I see; I can dig that.

Was Amadeus really rated R?  Even in 1984, when the shorter version came out?  (I have not yet seen the longer version.)

It would have to be on T & A alone in at least one Mozart bedroom scene.

I was wondering what Bible study computer programs you all might be using.

I don't use any program, myself, but many of my fellow seminary students use something called Bible Works (or is it "Bible Worx"?). Ever heard of it? I wish I could tell you more. The students all seem to love the program.