Sign in to follow this  
Michael Todd

Am I Stupid Or Is This Impossible?

Thanks for your confidence Popechild, but I do think I played that game at least three times, and I double posted this thread by accident, so a case could be made.

Thanks for your confidence Popechild, but I do think I played that game at least three times, and I double posted this thread by accident, so a case could be made.

I've been there buddy. I feel for ya.

-s.

Hey, I've been trying to play this game for a while now. It's really hard, I don't know if I can actually do it.

-s.

The fact that it's impossible doesn't rule out the proposition that the person trying to solve it might be stupid.

I learned this game when I was a boy. My uncle told me it was impossible and I did my best to solve it anyway. I recently taught it to my nephews who have become enamored of brain teasers lately.

In my mind I associate it with another impossible puzzle, also learned from my uncle (and subsequently taught to my nephews), that involves trying to draw a "map" of any number of adjacent regions of any shape and configuration. The object is to devise a map such that a person coloring in the various regions must necessarily use more than four colors, provided every region must be a different color from every adjacent region, i.e., every region with which it shares any length of border. (Regions touching only at a single point, such as those diagonally opposite at the intersection of two borders, can share the same color.)

A few times when I was a kid I thought I had this one licked because I started to color in my maps and found that I couldn't finish without going to a fifth color. But then I would redraw the map and try again, and it always turned out that four colors was enough, if you did it right.

I don't know why we torture our nephews with these things.

I asked God for help with this and He told me "Nothing is impossible."

-s.

Can God devise an impossible problem?

It's called theology

It's called theology

I'm not sure how to parse that. It must be.