Sign in to follow this  
Guest e2c

Marginal but cool

Guest nardis   
Guest nardis

We've had a few threads that touched on folk and outsider art in the past, but I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I was inspired to post because I just saw this photo of a sculpture on someone's blog - check link (click twice for larger JPG).

People made a number of sarcastic comments about this piece, but I think it's a keeper. What do you think? (Chashab?)

Edited by nardis

draper   

I like it, the slight skew of the legs to the left somehow brings a humanity back to an almost sterile sculpture.

I've been reading Denis Johnson's The Throne of the Third Heaven of the Nations Millennium General Assembly. Named after James Hampton's epic construct, it has gotten me thinking about outsider art and how much I enjoy it. A friend of mine spent his Spring break in Arkansas learning to make gourd banjos.

I have bumped into a phase where "folk" art is a reoccurring topic of conversation. I think I need to pay attention.

draper   

I saw the Throne years ago and din't have the resources to take it all in. I didn't know how to process all the information coming at me. I would like to go back and visit again.I hadn't thought about it until I started reading Johnson's book.

I only refer to gourd banjos because in San Diego it isn't a topic of conversation I often encounter, I didn't mean to sound demeaning towards them. What I find intriguing about them is the immediate organic quality. Which might sound funny but they remind me of the experience I had when I played a handmade African djembe. There was a quailty to the sound and the tactile feel of the instrument that I hadn't ecountered before. The feeling of these instruments and my encounter with the Throne is outside my realm of experience, outside my rationalist mind set and causes me to regard the experience as magic.

Chashab   
We've had a few threads that touched on folk and outsider art in the past, but I thought maybe a dedicated thread would be a good idea.

I was inspired to post because I just saw this photo of a sculpture on someone's blog - check link (click twice for larger JPG).

People made a number of sarcastic comments about this piece, but I think it's a keeper. What do you think? (Chashab?)

Saw this last week when you posted it but was on the road . . .

. . . One of my new friends here in little Siloam Springs is a design/illustration prof at John Brown University. He is trained (i.e., doesn't qualify as a folk artist from what I understand) and the kind of work he does pretty professional. However, he uses a lot of found objects in collage and small sculptures. In fact, on my trip I did a little foraging for him; I've always had a fondness for the use of found objects in sculpture as well.

That said, the clothespin piece reminded me of my friend's work