Star Wars - 30 Year Anniversary

83 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Just came across this article marking the 30th anniversary of Star Wars, and lo... our own SDG is quoted in it!

I'm inviting folks to share their first Star Wars memories at Looking Closer.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hey, I just read this today. In the paper.

This is the same paper that a few months ago, in an article on The Golden Compass, quoted you as "Catholic film critic Jeffrey Overstreet". :blink:

Edited by Plankton

Posted · Report post

I have seen commercials on both the History Channel and G4 for respective 30 year celebrations or programs. I am not sure when they're scheduled, but I think one will play Memorial Day evening.

Posted · Report post

getfuzzy2007052209487.jpg

Posted · Report post

Ha ha! Read the comic in the paper, too.

Posted · Report post

Perhaps this is all we need to know:

Perhaps this is all we need to know.

See? See, this is exactly what I was talking about.

I'd like to see her summarize Episode I that well.

Edited by SDG

Links to the threads on Episode I, Episode II, Episode III, Episode V, the 2004 and 2006 editions of Episodes IV, V and VI on DVD, and the 2011 edition of all six episodes on Blu-Ray, as well as The Clone Wars and the various rumoured TV series (plus one quasi-duplicate thread on the comedy series).

See also the threads on 'Star Wars Debate Redux' (which began as a place to bash Episode II; Jul 8 - Nov 11, 2003), 'Sci fi = spiritual? Star Wars, X2, etc.' (Apr 12-14, 2004), 'Best Star Wars Movie? (with poll; Apr 18-20, 2004), Top 100 Discussion: The Star Wars original trilogy?' (May 6-7, 2004), 'Is Star Wars Blasphemous?' (Jun 15 - Jul 25, 2005), 'Star Wars in 20 minutes' (Aug 8-9, 2006) and 'Star Wars: Uncut' (Apr 2010).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Posted · Report post

For those who missed it before ... the missing Biggs scenes!

Posted · Report post

And the original Jabba scene!

Posted · Report post

Funny idea. I'll probably watch it.

Star Wars Uncut has divided up A New Hope into 472 15-second clips and distributed it out to the fans. Each segment will then be re-created by the masses. It's "Sweding" taken to its craziest extreme. At the end, all the submitted clips will be laced together to bring you one glorious fan-created montage from the toys, basements and desktops of Star Wars lovers.

Link to io9 article. Includes a couple of submissions. One fairly good scene, and one WTF is that supposed to be?

Link to Star Wars Uncut.

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Wow... that's a struggle to get through. And the Jawa/R2 sound bites don't speed things along. But, I really must admit that I thought this sequence was traditionally animated, kinda of like the targeting computer visuals that Dan (Alien) O'Bannon created for the Millennium Falcon/TIE fighter battle or the displays in the X-wing and Y-wing fighters....

54448.png

Since the release of the souped up DVD's of the original trilogy, I've wondered why George didn't revamp these computer animations to keep them more in line with what was shown in the prequels. The most obvious example would be the computerized image of the Death Star in episode IV, which has the "Super Laser Cannon" (I got that from the Star Wars Technical Manual) positioned in the middle of the Death Star's equator....

eye.jpg

...which is not in keeping with the plans that Count Dooku escapes with at the end of Attack of the Clones....

GWdisk4.jpg

What's up, George? Or am I over thinking it?

Posted · Report post

Posted · Report post

Embedding is already disabled.

Posted · Report post

It is my fervent hope that all future editions of Star Wars on DVD will come with an alternate audio track consisting of nothing but the original sound recorded on-stage.

And note the reference to "tapes". I believe that was changed to the more tech-agnostic "plans" when they looped in James Earl Jones's voice?

Only just caught up with this thread, but the Biggs material is interesting in the way that both Luke and he are desperate to work for the Empire but really hate it. Kinda odd.

And part of me prefers the original Jabba.

Matt

Edited by MattPage

So, like, I'm watching this movie with my kids now -- for only the second time ever -- and a thought just occurred to me.

Luke Skywalker had probably never killed a man prior to Episode IV. In many war movies and coming-of-age adventure stories, the first time the hero kills a man is sometimes treated as a Big Deal. But for Luke? The film makes nothing of it whatsoever.

In fact, it's not even clear who Luke's first kill actually IS.

When the film begins, Luke is just a naive little boy (okay, he's about 20 years old, but still...) longing for adventure who is clearly out of his element when Obi-Wan saves him from an alien at the cantina in Mos Eisley. (Just look at how Luke stares at the alien's dismembered arm, lying there on the floor after Obi-Wan shears it off. Clearly, this is a New Thing for him -- for Luke, that is.)

It's highly doubtful that Luke has ever killed anyone prior to this. But he has clearly killed LOTS of people by the time the movie is over (not least by blowing up the Death Star and everyone onboard). So where, exactly, did he cross the line? To which of the dead imperial troops did he lose his virginity, as it were?

The first possible candidates would be the two stormtroopers who are lured onto the Falcon and ... uh ... well, it's not really clear WHAT happens to them, apart from the fact that Luke and Han end up wearing their uniforms. Are the stormtroopers killed, or are they simply knocked out? (We hear blaster fire, but that COULD be the troopers shooting at Han and Luke, rather than vice versa.) And if they are killed, then who, exactly, does the killing? (Side note: Presumably those stripped-down troopers, whether alive or dead, are still on the Falcon somewhere when Luke and Han escape with the Princess and head off to Yavin. The bodies obviously couldn't have been dumped in the hangar bay where anyone could SEE them.)

In the scene immediately following, Han kills a couple of Imperial agents -- note, these are NOT troopers, therefore they are full-fledged human beings and NOT the mere genetically modified clones that the stormtroopers would be if we accepted the prequels as canonical -- and Luke protests that Han has been making too much noise by "blasting everything in sight".

But what happens right after this? Han and Luke decide to rescue the princess, and so they go to the detention block ... and once there, they promptly start blasting everything -- and everyone -- in sight. And all the victims here are, once again, full-fledged human beings and not troopers.

So did Luke "make his bones", as the mobsters say, on the Falcon? If so, we never see it happen. Or did he do it in the detention block? If so, the movie doesn't care, and it doesn't give us any indication that Luke cares, either.

By this point in the story, of course, Luke is just about the LAST of our heroes to have killed anyone. Leia has killed one of the troopers that tried to arrest her, Obi-Wan has seriously maimed (and possibly killed?) the alien at the cantina, Han has killed Greedo and possibly stormtroopers as well at the docking bay in Mos Eisley, and Chewbacca no doubt would have helped Han too if he hadn't already been onboard the Falcon. And of course Darth Vader and his minions have killed people left, right and centre as well. So the movie has already conditioned the audience to expect a fair bit of violence.

It's just ... interesting ... that the film sets up Luke as someone who initially feels so removed from this world, yet the moment he's plunged into it, he fits right in. He's just a Natural Born Killer.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Posted · Report post

Interesting thoughts! I think the movie sort of sets us up for this in the opening scene when Vader and his troops overtake the Rebel ship and kill just about everyone on board in search of the Death Star plans. By the time Luke starts killing Imperials, the audience is on board and ready to cheer him on because Vader and his dastardly minions obviously have it coming. (In fact, in a deleted scene and possibly in the novel, Luke actually witnesses the Star Destroyer taking over the Rebel ship and the ensuing gun battle... several early promo shots show Luke on Tatooine, looking up in the sky through his binoculars... He obviously didn't see anyone get killed from that far away, but he did witness Imperial aggression...)

Plus, Luke saw his dear aunt and uncle charred to a crisp by a roving band of Stormtroopers, so he clearly has a motiviation for revenge (even though revenge is frowned upon by the Jedi).

But you're right... while the audience is primed for the killing of Imperials, Luke, as far as the story goes, has virtually no character arc from naive farm boy to seasoned freedom fighter/bad guy killer.

Posted · Report post

Well, he wasn't averse to violent thrill-seeking as a young man. He used to bull's-eye womp rats in his T-16 back home, but then, they weren't much bigger than two meters.

Posted · Report post

Well, yes, but womp-rats aren't persons. (Neither are stormtroopers, arguably, which is why I make a point of noting the Imperial officers in the grey suits.)

Think, say, of Sgt. York, where the protagonist is (initially) firmly opposed to killing people in battle, but he's a good shot partly because he's grown up hunting animals. The moral qualms that one might feel about killing fellow people don't apply to animals.

Posted · Report post

Not sure about the "baby hole" bit, since the orifice in question IS "a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port" (for more on that, see the possibly NSFW article I linked to here), but anyhoo...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snp3rHDHwPg

Well, yes, but womp-rats aren't persons.

I was only kidding... for the chance to quote one of my favorite bits. Perhaps I should have included an emoticon.

Edited by Overstreet

Posted · Report post

2010-07-07-the-magic-blaster-theory.jpg

Posted · Report post