Sign in to follow this  
MattP

Microsoft Surface

This may just be the coolest thing I've seen in, well, quite a while...

Microsoft Surface

MSNBC Article...

Obviously it's very very cool, and maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but this just seems like it could actually be one of those cool "futury" products that we end up seeing and using before too long, at least in business establishments. I want one!

Obviously it's very very cool, and maybe I'm just being too optimistic, but this just seems like it could actually be one of those cool "futury" products that we end up seeing and using before too long, at least in business establishments. I want one!

Yep, I think this is the next step in UI.

Congratulations to Bill Gates and company for rushing this product announcement out the door to beat Apple's unveiling of Leopard in three weeks. Many of us are convinced that the UI in the iPhone will be a standard part of Leopard and that we will see new portable and desktop Macintosh systems in last half of 2007 that are touch-screen based.

EDIT: While I was going through the Microsoft site, in the section entitled "Find It" I noticed that Microsoft claims the first Surface devices won't hit the market until "Winter 2007." I wonder if that's a typo, means "December 21, 2007 and later," or the Web site copy hasn't been updated since last year after they missed a shipping target.

Edited by TexasWill

Take that, Apple!

Oh, good grief, how silly. It's not just for tables. I thought Mac users were supposed to be imaginative.

Still a funny spoof ;)

Not really sure how feasible this is. I like the idea, and as a very avid computer user (working in the internet/design industry) I could see some uses for it. But at home? Something that big? It would have to be no more expensive than any other compy for me to consider it. If it's some super-duper $5000 machine there's no way I see something like this taking off outside of specific business or professional applications.

Course, the thing doesn't debut for years. Things might be very different than I'm imagining.

My friend Kyle shows off the first game made for Surface: