Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Links to threads on the pre-release buzz (2003-2005), The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (2005), Prince Caspian (2008) and The Magician's Nephew (maybe), as well as the Narnia books.

Disney has announced it will release Voyage of the Dawn Treader on May 2009 -- less than 50 weeks after the release of Prince Caspian.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway

Apted to direct 'Narnia' sequel

Disney Pictures and Walden Media have tapped Michael Apted to direct "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," the third installment in the "Narnia" series. Mark Johnson will produce, along with Andrew Adamson, who directed the first two films. Returning cast members include Ben Barnes, Georgie Henley and Skandar Keynes.

Variety, June 19

Third 'Narnia' set for 2010

The third installment in Disney and Walden Media's "The Chronicles of Narnia" franchise, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," will sail into theaters in 2010, rather than the previously announced 2009. . . .

Franchise's producers had announced at Comic-Con this summer that auds could expect a "Narnia" installment each May as adaptations of each of the seven books in the series are produced.

But that plan proved too difficult to pull off.

Date shift comes in response to "the challenging schedules for our young actors," Disney and Walden said, and will help avoid a potential conflict for the cast members between shooting the third pic and undertaking promotional activities for the second. . . .

Variety, September 19

Walden prepares for kid-film battle

Walden Media, the film venture backed by Denver-based billionaire Philip Anschutz, is set to unleash seven pics during the next year aimed squarely at the moviegoing demographic that Disney used to own: kids and families. . . .

Disney was Walden's distrib partner on "Narnia," and will continue be on its sequels. But just when the success of that pic encouraged Walden to ramp up in a big way, Disney made the strategic decision to downsize its annual pic slate.

As a result, Walden wound up forming a marketing partnership with 20th Century Fox, creating the Fox Walden banner. . . .

Over the next year, Walden will release seven movies -- four through Fox Walden and one each through Walt Disney Co., Sony and New Line.

In addition to "The Seeker," Walden has "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium" on Nov. 16; "The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep" at Christmas; "Nim's Island" on April 4; "Journey 3-D" on July 11; and "City of Ember" on Oct. 10, 2008. The most anticipated pic on the slate, "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian," bows May 16. . . .

Hopes are highest for "Prince Caspian," which will cost at least $100 million. Granat promises that the battle-filled sequel is easily distinguishable from its predecessor and the third pic on the sked, "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."

Walden and Disney recently shifted the release date for "Dawn Treader" from 2009 to 2010 due to the schedules of the young actors. The shift will also avoid a conflict of having to promote the second film and shoot the third at the same time.

Producers had announced at Comic-Con in July that auds could expect one "Narnia" installment each May for the next few years. Granat is committing publicly to only four or five, saying that "Silver Chair" might be the best bet for the fourth, followed by "Magician's Nephew," but he admits that there are a multitude of possibilities.

"There are a lot of stories to be taken from the seven books," he notes. . . .

Variety, October 5

'Narnia's' Johnson rides hot streak

Johnson is also shepherding the third "Narnia" adaptation, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. After being stymied by the WGA strike, it's scheduled to start filming in November for a May 2009 release. "As long as the Narnia movies keep succeeding and I don't make a big mistake," Johnson says, "I will continue doing them."

Anne Thompson, Variety, February 7

- - -

The previous post in this thread quotes a story that says the release was bumped to 2010 ... and I assume Dawn Treader is much too big a film to start principal photography only six months before release. So I'm guessing the bit about the release date is an error.

ComingSoon.net: "Mark Johnson . . . told us that director Michael Apted is currently scouting locations in New Zealand for the upcoming 3-quel The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader with plans to start shooting in October."

NarniaWeb reports that, according to producer Mark Johnson and actor Peter Dinklage, the character Trumpkin will appear in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader. It has been a while since I read the books, but Wikipedia says Trumpkin is "briefly mentioned" in the book "as the one who is ruling the country during Caspian's voyage" but apparently never depicted. (Though he does appear in The Silver Chair.) So make of that what you will.

Walden, Harper team up

Walden Media is becoming a publisher, partnering with HarperCollins Children's Books to launch Walden Pond Press.

As part of the multiyear pact, the venture will acquire and publish books for young readers. Naturally, it also plans to turn several of its tomes into film adaptations or pair up properties with other filmmakers.

First published title will be "The Will of Will Wolfkin," by screenwriter Steven Knight, who penned the pics "Dirty Pretty Things," "Eastern Promises" and "Amazing Grace."

Knight is also scripting the third installment of the "Narnia" series, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," which Michael Apted is helming. . . .

Variety, May 11

It's been a few years since I read the book, so I'm just wondering, does anyone here know how "accurate" this plot synopsis from the film's latest casting call sounds?:

STORY: In the enchanted land of Narnia, Edmund and Lucy join King Caspian on a sworn mission to find the seven lost Lords of Narnia. So begins a perilous new quest that takes them to the farthest edge of the Eastern world on board the mighty Dawn Treader. Sailing uncharted seas, the old friends must survive a terrible storm, encounters with sea serpents, dragons, and invisible enemies to reach lands where magicians weave mysterious spells and nightmares come true. They need every ounce of courage and the help of the great lion Aslan to triumph in their most hazardous adventure of all.

(Via NarniaWeb.)

It's been a few years since I read the book, so I'm just wondering, does anyone here know how "accurate" this plot synopsis from the film's latest casting call sounds?

That's a fair synopsis of the book. Not always precise (e.g., in its use of what might be called the "summary plural," referring to "encounters with sea serpents, dragons, and ... magicians weav[ing] mysterious spells" when in fact there's only one of each... and, since the "invisible enemies" and the magician live on the same island, they don't "survive" the one to "reach" the land of the other). But this is all fair game in a synopsis of this sort. There's nothing here that shouldn't be, and nothing left out important enough to demand to be included in a summary of this length.

Edited by SDG

My son and I are reading Dawn Treader now (for the fourth time together; I've read it on my own countless times). As we read, I am keeping my ear open for difficulties in making it into a movie. The big one so far is the Dufflepuds. They are so funny! But how do you adapt that section? They are foolish, vain, and repetitive. How do you faithfully adapt that section but not bore the audience? When the Chief Voice speaks, and all the others agree with him, how do you avoid stretching it out to ten minutes of twice-told narration?

My favorite part of the book, the dragoning of Eustace, is more straightforward, but not completely so. The scene when Eustace realizes that he's been transformed was adapted with stark literalism in the BBC version, using a voice-over of Eustace's thoughts. They wouldn't do that today.

Oh, and there are no real battles that I know of. What will they expand into a massive CGI conflict?

Oh, and there are no real battles that I know of. What will they expand into a massive CGI conflict?

How about the liberation of the Lone Islands? :) The only problem is it's too early in the story.

How about the liberation of the Lone Islands? :) The only problem is it's too early in the story.

Swords are drawn, an axe is called for but not used (are spoiler tags necessary for the book?)

on the sea serpent

, and there's some action, but it's really more strategy in the book. An Adamson version (which we hope NOT to see) would turn this episode into a full-scale battle with all-out weapons, boiling oil, etc. On a ship. Full-on Pirates of the Caribbean stuff. Spare me.

Fr. Michael Ward's Planet Narnia symbolism for The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Oh, there had better NOT be a battle to lilberate the Lone islands. The whole pointof that part of the book is that they liberate the Islands without any fight at all, really. Caspian's cunnin should *sometimes* win out over his sword, you know.

And they've been so careful with "the whole point of the book" up till now. <_<

I dunno. There are things in Dawn Treader that I care deeply about and am concerned about for a film adaptation in which Adamson retains any creative control:

• The depiction of Eustace's dragoning and undragoning
  • Lucy's temptation and Aslan's rebuke
  • the island of dreams (please use the word "dreams," not nightmares as in the synopsis!)
  • the nature of the situation on the island of sleepers
  • the otherworldly quality of the seas of the Utter East
  • Aslan as a Lamb roasting fish for breakfast (like the resurrected Christ in John 21), declaring that he is known by another name in our world
If there were any way they could get most of that, I wouldn't mind a battle for the Lone Islands. For that matter, I wouldn't mind it much either way. I'm not that crazy about the way Lewis writes the liberation of the Lone Islands, frankly. It's not very good psychology. To be sure, better psychology would be a more interesting revision than a big battle, but let's not get crazy with the wish list. If they need to stick a big battle somewhere, better here than a lot of other places.

NarniaWeb: "We have contacted Disney, and they have confirmed that the dates given in this article are errors. Filming is still set to begin this Summer, for a May 2010 release."

And Disney was rebutting rumours that the shooting had been put off until November.

Well, it'll be November next week. When does the shooting begin?

According to NarniaWeb, it looks like the cameras won't start rolling until April. Only 13 months before the film is due to come out.

Cary Granat exits as Walden co-CEO

Cary Granat is stepping down as co-CEO of Walden Media, the company he co-founded, but will remain as a creative consultant for the company's third installment of its "Chronicles of Narnia" franchise.

Walden has no plans to bring in another co-CEO to work with Michael Bostick, who joined Granat last March to head up the company. . . .

Walden is close to greenlighting the third installment, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader," which, like the two previous films, will be distributed by Disney. . . .

Hollywood Reporter, November 18

- - -

They haven't greenlit it yet!? They are only "close" to greenlighting it?

Actually, in Walden's official press release announcing Granat's departure, they word it even MORE cautiously: "Granat will be Walden

Maybe they are waiting on sales of the DVD?

: close to greenlighting

: hopes to greenlight

Why use a stupid traffic light metaphor if you're not going to use it properly?

Or is it just us that has red / amber lights just before the lights go green?

Matt

I hope it gets stop-signed.

Or better, I hope it gets Do Not Enter-ed.

Dead Ended?

Edited by Overstreet

: close to greenlighting

: hopes to greenlight

Why use a stupid traffic light metaphor if you're not going to use it properly?

Or is it just us that has red / amber lights just before the lights go green?

Matt

We have green for go, yellow for caution, and then red for stop. It goes to green directly from red.

Detailed Review: Prince Caspian DVD/Blu-ray

* Dawn Treader Pre-Viz is discussed. Brief glimpses of two sequences for Dawn Treader are shown. The first shows the shadow of a dragon gliding over water, the other shows the sea-serpent bursting out of the water, attacking the camera.

"There are sequences in Dawn Treader where we're like how are we gonna do this because it just so big, so epic

Monday Mouse Watch : Waiting for the "Dawn"

Do you recall that shindig that Walt Disney Studios held at the Kodak Theatre back in September. Where the 26 movies that the Mouse House now has in the works -- among them highly anticipated sequels like "Pirates of the Caribbean 4," "Toy Story 3," "National Treasure 3" and "Tron 2" -- were all heavily hyped.

Did you notice something significant missing from that list? Like -- say -- the third installment of the "Chronicles of Narnia" series, "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." Back in September of 2007, Disney announced that "Narnia III" would be the Studio's big release for May of 2010. But then in August of this year, Mickey suddenly changed his mind. Now "Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time" would be Disney's big release for May of 2010. And as for "Voyage of the Dawn Treader" ... That project kind of went into stealth mode. . . .

As for "Dawn Treader" 's budget ... From what Disney insiders have been telling me, that's part of the reason that the third installment of the "Chronicles of Narnia" film series didn't actually start shooting last month as had been previously announced. Walden Media reportedly wants Disney to go halfsies on a $140 million production. But given that Disney is contractually obligated to cover the costs of all prints & advertising on the "Narnia" movies ... Well, Disney's supposedly pushing for a $100 million version of "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" instead.

And as for "Dawn Treader" 's release date ... Having learned " ... a good lesson," Iger is now allegedly pushing for the third installment of the "Chronicles of Narnia" film series to be released during the same time that was "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" was. Which now translates to December 2010 (Which was when "Rapunzel" was originally supposed to be released. But given that that animated feature's directors were recently replaced, it's now looking far more likely that this Walt Disney Animation Studios production will be released sometime in calendar 2011). . . .

To be blunt, Johnson put the onus back on the "Narnia" audience. Saying that " ... as long as you keep embracing these movies, we'll make all seven." With the unsaid part of this statement being "If you guys don't turn out in sufficient number for 'The Voyage of the Dawn Treader' in 2010, the series stops there."

Which -- from what some Mouse House insiders tell me -- would suit Disney just fine. Why For? ... Well, certain members of the current Mouse House management team view the "Chronicles of Narnia" as an Eisner legacy. A holdover from the bad old days when Michael -- back when he was battling with Roy over the whole "Save Disney" movement and seemingly on the brink of letting Pixar slip away -- needed some sort of good news to share with Disney stockholders.

Which is why -- given that the Mouse House (at that time, anyway) lacked its own hugely popular movie series like "Harry Potter" and/or "Lord of the Rings" -- Eisner was eager to get into bed with Phil Anschutz's Walden Media in order to make "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe." With the hope that this pricey production might then be the springboard to a whole new film franchise.

But that was 2004. And this is 2008, with Michael Eisner gone and Pixar now a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company. And given that Mickey now has a hugely popular film franchise of his very own (i.e. the "Pirates of the Caribbean" movies) ... Pushing ahead with production of all seven of the "Narnia" movies didsn't seem like such a smart move anymore. Particularly if "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" winds up earning less than "Prince Caspian" did this past summer.

So if you're a "Chronicles of Narnia" fan who really wants to see Disney go ahead with production of all five of the remaining C.S. Lewis fantasy books ... My advice to you is -- on December 2nd, when the DVD version of "Prince Caspian" officially goes on sale -- buy both the single disc and the 3-disc collector's edition of this movie.

You see, Disney's reportedly waiting for the numbers on that first week of "Prince Caspian" DVD sales before it then locks in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" 's production budget. And the more money that that "Narnia" disc makes ... Well, the better "Dawn Treader" will wind up looking. Which hopefully will have some sort of impact on the third installment of the "Chronicles of Narnia" 's chances of box office success.

Jim Hill Media, November 17

We have green for go, yellow for caution, and then red for stop. It goes to green directly from red.

Caution? Sounds about right then!

FWIW we have

Red - Stop

Red + Amber - Get Ready

Green - Go

Amber - Go very fast Go only if you can't stop

Matt