Sign in to follow this  
Peter T Chattaway

Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

I dunno, it's been a while since I read it, but isn't DT kind of like a road movie (only with boats)? That's pretty Hollywood.

Matt

For some reason, I'm now getting flashbacks to that Noah's Ark TV-movie starring Jon Voight, in which F. Murray Abraham plays Lot (yes, the Lot from Sodom), and Lot ends up being leader of a group of pirates who attack Noah's ship ...

That was a boat movie, and very Hollywood, too. Not in a good way.

I don't expect Dawn Treader to be as bad as that. But, y'know, anything's possible.

Michael Petroni's first project seems to have been a film he wrote and directed called "Till Human Voices Wake Us." I couldn't find a good review of it. Did anybody here see it? Apparently it used some T.S. Eliot. The film title comes from Prufrock.

I don't know whether to be hopeful about this or not. Apparently there was a rumor on Narniaweb's discussion boards that the previz for the film included some stuff about a battle between the Dawn Treader and the merpeople. All I can say is I hope not...

Harris-Stone wrote:

: Michael Petroni's first project seems to have been a film he wrote and directed called "Till Human Voices Wake Us." I couldn't find a good review of it. Did anybody here see it?

It rings a vague bell, and I might have seen it back then. If I did, though, I don't remember a thing about it.

Overstreet wrote:

: I wonder how many Christian-media outlets will note the fact that Petroni wrote Queen of the Damned and The Dangerous Lives of Altar Boys.

Well, the CT Movies blog did, at any rate. :)

One thing the CT Movies blog did NOT note is that Petroni was hired two years ago (by New Line, I think) to write a script based on some real-life exorcisms, but I haven't heard a peep about that project since.

Narniaweb has comments on Petroni by Douglas Gresham FWIW

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=2123&dl=22684255

FWIW, indeed. At this point I find it hard to take Gresham's comments much more seriously than, say, George Lucas's. (Of course, Lucas has been involved in brilliant films, as well as terrible ones. And Lucas invented the Star Wars universe, and helped create the Indiana Jones universe. Gresham is merely overseeing the adaptation of his stepfather's world, in films that so far have yet to achieve either brilliance or terribleness. So I wouldn't argue for any further analogy. I'm just saying, neither seems to me to have much insight to offer.)

New release date for Voyage: Dec. 10, 2010 --NarniaWeb quoting Variety news-bite.

At this rate, I'll be dead by the time The Last Battle gets to the screen...if it does. But should that be the case, of course I will have MUCH better things to think about!

Any chance this is an April Fool's thingy too?

See also this item from a few days ago (and therefore NOT an April Fool's thingy), speculating whether Dawn Treader might be one of the three films that Fox plans to make in 3D next year.

Any chance this is an April Fool's thingy too?

This one now states "April Fool" as part of the title.

Filming has commenced. To quote my blog:

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
began principal photography today ... and it sounds like the filmmakers may once again be adding more unnecessary peril and more gratuitous World War II footage to C.S. Lewis's story. The film's
suggests that King Caspian and the others are embarking on their "entirely uncharted journey to Aslan's Country" in order to "save Narnia, and all the astonishing creatures in it, from an unfathomable fate." And last month, a
was looking for actors to play English soldiers and nurses bidding farewell to each other. Somehow these bits don't jibe with my memory of the book.

The new film will also have some interesting connections to Public Enemies and the Mad Max movies, among others.

Had the opportunity to listen through Narnia in audiobook form over the past number of months and all I have to say is unless they can find a producer/director to do them straight up, I wish they wouldn't bother. The world of Narnia in book form is inspiring. The world of Narnia in film form is ... well... not quite inspiring.

Looks like it'll make a nice amusement park ride when they're done shooting.

In the book, the Dawn Treader has only one mast. But it is described as having a dragon-shaped prow, and is depicted thus in the Bayles illustrations, so at least they got that part right.

Edited by mrmando

Eh. I always thought that outside of the dragon head, the ship described in the book and in drawings for the book looked like a kids sail boat. I am fine with this ship.